50 coaches online • Server time: 19:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember when tourney division turned into todays unranked division people where afraid ranked would slowly die, especially as some coaches (including myself) decided to avoid ranked division all together.

I guess by now it is clear that rather the opposite happened. It is quite hard to get games in unranked, these days. I still dislike playing in a ranked environment however - so to those of you, which is the majority, what would make you interested/be an initiative to play the one or the other game in unranked?

-Mnemon
Clausbs

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to say: better dice would surely be a good sort of bait.

No kidding though: i've recently started to play more unranked games, since there's generally a more "fun & relaxed" atmosphere about those games - when it's unranked it seems people are more willing to play for "fun", and personally I don't mind as much when I loose Smile Which I do a lot anyways.

But how to make it more attracting? Hmm, probably pretty hard - maybe a campaign with slogans like "Come to Unranked - it's more fun here" or "Come to unranked - it's okay to foul once in a rare while here", etc.
Someone could make a poster, etc etc.
But let's hear other opinions.
/claus
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess making it ranked........Wink
thats what i htink the general consensus will say...
or the other fave, Its too hard to find games......
(and whys it hard to find games?)

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I've just started playing ranked to get some "fun & relaxed" atmosphere, but that is of course compared to tournaments. =) If you don't want to compete I suspect that you aren't a homo sapiens. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Bounty Hunters.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see the tourney options expanded to allow true league play that is extremely flexible to change around if need be by the head of the "group" running the league.

The current tourney system isn't really designed for league play (multiple divisions for example), so you have to jump through hoops to have cross-divisional matches and what not work out for you.

E
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

For those from my point of view it is a vicious circle...I care not a whit for my coach ranking and would gladly play in Unranked, if I could ever find games there. But given that I have such limited time to search for and play games, it is hard to justify transferring to Unranked, as it might well mean I barely get two games in per month anymore with my favorite teams! Sad

However, what about if it were possible to freely transfer teams back and forth? Any game played in Unranked would not go towards coach ranking, but teams could pop back into Ranked if need be (to find a match, or play an opposing coach who wants to play for Ranking).

I can see the problems this might cause with teams piling up in Unranked as some of the many coaches who voice a desire for more Ranked slot teams shuffle their teams back and forth. Or increased cherry picking as coaches go to Unranked to build up a team, then move it to Ranked to pick wins for their coach ranking.

There are also almost certainly problems I cannot see regarding managing this from a fumbbl standpoint, with all the constant switching that would likely be going on.

But the question was how to make Unranked more attractive, and it certainly ought to make for more Unranked popularity if you could challenge any coach with any of their teams and they wouldn't have to permanently abandon the Ranked division to play the game, just because you wanted to play it Unranked! I know my teams would be willing to make the switch if they could switch back to Ranked on slow nights for the sake of getting a game!
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

/me echoes CS3's first point.

No one plays Open in Unranked because no one plays in Unranked. It's simply a matter of visibility and numbers. The only way to increase traffic is to get out there and play more games. If enough people do it, we'll have a critical mass and things will start rolling.

We are all just salmon swimming up the stream of mob mentality, however.

As far as the idea of transferring between U and R, I think that is way too open to both abuse and annoyance. What about those games that you play in which you have forgotten to transfer your team back to the right division and therefore can't upload? That would suck. Then we have to take into account the lamers who will transfer to U to beat up on Fairie teams and then back to R for some good old rank-whoring. Too much of a pain for both the admins and the users, I think.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

As usual old Mojo has a good point. I reckon there is enough cherry-picking in R as it is - with the addition of coaches going to U to get those sooooo- easily gained spp from kicking shit out of a fairy type team then jumping back into R ....well...thats just asking for trouble:D

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Much as I'd like to see more activity in ranked, I can't think of much to make it happen. There just doesn't seem to be much incentive to keep teams around after they've played their tournaments.

Only effective way of getting more play in U I can think of would be to reduce spots in R, or introduce some horrible ranking system that makes divR unplayable. Of course, those aren't exactly great options...

I play mostly in U recently anyway, and have never really cared which division I'm in past the point of 'team x is i division y, I'll play in that division today then'. Just depends where my current favourite team is.

Actually, one more way to get play in U would be for the admins to move half the teams from R to U while their coaches aren't looking. That might work.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

or simply creating a rule that you can only have 2 more teams in one division than in every other (wohooo, more stunties)
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, thinking about it some more, there isn't actually a shortage of teams in U.

There are lots of coaches that have hordes of U teams, but never play them. An incentive of some sort is needed.

Unfortunately I still can't think of one that would work Wink
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Like CS3, I don't care about my coach ranking, I only play there for the higher odds of getting games. I can probably move a couple of my teams to [U], or maybe try some of the other races I haven't played before. I just hesitate in making too many teams, as then it could be a long time between games for one or more of my teams. But if I can start getting games in [U] without having to wait for long, I won't mind switching. *shrugs* I just wanna play during my time off from work. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Kommando wrote:
or simply creating a rule that you can only have 2 more teams in one division than in every other (wohooo, more stunties)

That just means that people will make stunty teams and never play them.

Additional rules aren't the answer, if you ask me. If you want to see more open games in Unranked, then get out and play some. Really. It's simply a matter of numerical superiority and mob mentality.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the best thing you could do is to play with ranked teams Wink