44 coaches online • Server time: 12:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of this?
I like the concept, but maybe not every detail. It could work.
77%
 77%  [ 46 ]
I like the concept. But it will never work.
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
It is just a bad idea.
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 59

BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Based on the discussion in http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3602 I suggested a proposal (that completely ignored the topic name) that seemed to receive a bit of interest. After sitting around for a week or two and hoping that someone else would pick up the ball and run with it, I decided to some time kicking the ball myself. I figure if you guys are willing to blab about Bush & Kerry for 14 pages I could get you to spend some time discussing this Rolling Eyes

The following *IS NOT AN OFFICIAL FUMBBL DOCUMENT!!!* I have not run this by anyone at this stage, not the admins, not the people who I’ve picked to run the Major Tournaments or any other community members. So feel free to crap all over me or send me a PM crapping all over me Smile

Rather the following is *ROUGH DRAFT* a proposal which I would like to submit to the admins (Christer really) for a community driven and fumbbl sanctioned tournament schedule. Since by myself I am a) not the community, and b) not that bright, I would like the communities help and feedback completing the proposal. When the proposal is complete I’ll try to get some buy in from the key players and submit it to Christer.

The prizes and guidelines from the tournaments are straight from the LRB. Those old schoolers and those with photographic memories will recognize that the Major tournaments proposed are for the most part direct rip offs from the Majors listed in the LRB Smile

On an unrelated topic: If you are one of the few people who can’t stand me, please disregard your hostility for me just this once. That said, I have no personal attachment to any of the proposals below so feel free to suggest anything you like.

Cheers!

Working Document: Fumbbl Sanctioned Tournament Proposal.

Due to the fact that some interest has arisen in “Official” tournaments we have prepared this proposal for the review of the Fumbbl administration.

The purpose of this document is to outline a proposal for a community driven official tournament schedule for the Unranked [U] division.

Each tournament would take place over a three week period, and could be extended to a maximum of four weeks if required.

Proposed Schedule:

Major Tournaments: Four Major tournaments are to be held annually.

Tournament 1: The Grotty Little Tournament (GLT)
Date: February 1st
Organizers: GLN staff or their appointed representatives.
Prizes:
Winner receives 200,000gp and 1d6 fan factor (permanent)
Runner up: 100,000 gp
Teams Allowed: LRB
Wizards: Yes
Stars: Yes

Tournament 2: The Cusi Memorial Challenge
Date: May 1st
Organizers: #Funbbl crew or their appointed representatives
Prizes:
Winner receives 250,000 gp and 1 permanent re roll
Runner Up receives 150,000 gp
Teams Allowed: All
Wizards: No
Stars: No

Tournament 3: The Fumbbl Open
Date: August 1st
Organizers: Fumbbl admin or their appointed representatives
Prizes:
Winner receives 350,000 gps and 5spps per player
Runner up receives 150,000 gp and 5 spps per player

Tournament 4: The Necro Bowl
Date: Nov 1st
Organziers: TBD
Prizes:
Winner receives 150,000 gp & can have one player resurrected or have an injury removed from one player.
Runner up receives 100,000 gp & can have one injury removed from one player.

Minor Tournaments:

A maximum of one minor tournament can be held each month. Minor tournaments can not run concurrently with a major tournament (so 8 per year max). The total purse of a minor tournament cannot exceed 150,000 gp. Other, non financial prizes are and their values are listed below:
(*Bunny’s note* I have no idea what these should be worth so feel free to provide alternatives / suggestions)

Team Re-roll: 100,000gp
Remove Injury: 100,000 gp
+ 1 FF: 30,000 gp
+1 Stat Boost: 100,000 gp
(need more….)

Those interested in organizing a minor tournament need to meet the following criteria:
A minimum of four tournament officials are required. Due to online gaming being what it is, a tournament cannot stall because 1 or 2 organizers disappear. In order to ensure the tournament finishes, a minimum of 1 group owner and 3 other group admins are required. Preference should be given to those applicants who: a) demonstrate a commitment to fumbbl (min. of 500 games played between organizers), b) have demonstrated ability in the running of a tournament.

The fumbbl administrators will appoint a board of governors for managing the organization and selection of tournaments for the Minor Tournaments Schedule. This board will be responsible for a) What tournaments are approved. b) When the tournaments are scheduled, c) approving the prizes, and d) taking swift and decisive action in the event a tournament appears to be in danger of failing.

It is the recommendation of this proposal that Minor Tournaments reflect the make up of the fumbbl community. Due to the international nature of fumbbl, it is suggested that two minor tournament slots be reserved for non-english speakers (*Bunny’s Note: AFAIK, and its not far, this would mean a Spanish speaking tourney and a German speaking tourney*).

In addition, it is recommended that the tournament schedule recognize the time zone differences in the fumbbl community and ensure that the “home base” of the tournaments be appropriate (*Bunny’s note: horrible wording. Roughly all I mean is that if 80% of fumbbl users are in Europe, 80% of the torurnies should follow that timezone spread, and if 20% are in North America, 20% of the tournaments should follow that TZ spread. Make sense?*)

Last edited by BunnyPuncher on Oct 28, 2004 - 00:21; edited 1 time in total
Fulgrim

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It could work. I like the idea.

Except for that player ressurection thing. None of that please. Smile
Delta

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. It's a good idea and could be ideal in bringing more fumbbl'ers into the whole community spirit thingy.
I am also against the player resurrection prize, but that could just be fear of some of the Legends coming back to beat the crap out of me!! It's certainly a good incentive for some to play though!

I also think that with the (relative) power of the admins behind the tourny's the drop out rate would tend to be less than other tournys I have been to.

Run with it Bunny....run like the wind!! Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

hrm.. k.. you want some feedback on this? here we go..

i don't really think this is a good idea, tbh...

1. if you appoint a group of people to do sth. then it is very likely that noone will do it.. i have made this expirience in real life.. You have to be into a tourney to really keep it running.. so normally someone who is told to run a tourney where style, rules, prizes etc are already fixed will normally not put that much effort in it.. the people how run the cups are carefully choosen buy christer, grum, etc...

2. so many tourneys all with such huge prizes.. geez... that will just BLOW the whole system.. the prizes in the cups are too insane already and the only good thing is they are seeded rarely between the divisions.. so i don't think bringing that huge amount of tourneys will be a good idea.. it will exploit the teambuilding system...

sorry man... but i don't think this proposal will lead anywhere..

cya, Candlejack

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I should also give credit where credit is due. Mully is the fellow who first lead me to think in this direction. Though he probably isnt aware of it Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the idea. the prizes might need some tweaking. but i don't really have any experince in this field. but im defently interested in this so keep the ideas flowing.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing I would really like to make this an actual challenge is to have different set TR-caps on the tournaments so that everyone starts on a roughly equal footing. What I find missing on fumbbl is tournaments that crowns the best coach. Of course there is always luck involved but I assume you all get my point?

Cash or special prices doesn't seem very important at all. The big thing is if these cups are sanctioned as the official tourneys of fumbbl and advertised as such.

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Would love to see a schedule like that.

I don't think the prizes are as bad as people are saying, as there will only be a maximum of 16 prizes (including winner & runners-up) in an entire year.

And, as BP said, the prizes for the majors are pretty similar to the LRB prizes.

I agree that you might have trouble finding people to run it properly though. You'd need people that spend most of their lives on here (and that will do for the forseeable future) to make it work.

In general, this is good stuff, it seems well thought out and I would say it's definitely something worth looking at.

EDIT: I agree with TinkyWinky, different TR Caps for these is a must.
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea, although I'm not too concerned about prizes. The must for me would be TR caps, you gotta level the playing field and thats the best way I think. We cant all build 300TR monster teams.

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

For TR caps would you like to see these in the major or minor tournies?

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Both preferably, failing that then at least the majors

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
For TR caps would you like to see these in the major or minor tournies?

For me, most of the minors should have a relatively low TR cap (say 200 at most, some lower), otherwise the really huge teams will just dominate everything, which will put some poeple off.

For the majors, I'd say have the 'FUMBBL Open' and the 'Cusi Memorial' without caps, and have one of the others with a high-but-not immense cap and the last one with a low cap (say 150 TR). That way anyone can see themselves making a cup-winning team.

Also, if the 'resurrect player' prize goes through, then I think that tourney should have the lowest cap, since younger teams are less likely to be able to revive game-breaking players.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like most cups to have a relatively low cap. No cup should be higher than 200. 125/150/175/200 sounds good to me. I don't really have anything against prizes in the tournaments, they're not very likely to unbalance anything.

Reasons to keep the caps under 200 TR:

+ More teams able to take part. There is a limited number of 250 TR teams floating about.

+ In tournaments with more then four rounds there won't be much left of elf teams in the finals after meeting a couple of dwarf and chaos teams fully equipped with mighty blow, tackle and a couple of DP:s. High TR-tournaments risk becoming all bashy teams.

+ With lower caps it will be easier to rebuild teams in time for the next tournament and getting your team smashed won't feel as bad. -> people won't give up the tourney scene as easily.

Last edited by Tinkywinky on Oct 28, 2004 - 00:12; edited 1 time in total
Bruno

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea with some scheduled tournaments.

Id like to point out two things, first I think that Factions ought to qualify for an official scheduled tournament that runs all the time. I am in no way hinting that factions should get some nifty prize money just pointing out it exists... Wink

But, drop the minor tournaments. Do we really want a big tournament all the time every month? One of the things to ensure that these big cups will be big happenings is that tournaments like this are not served any day. Not that the majors and minors really compares. 4 times a year sounds just right.

As for prizes, as people have pointed out, resurections is generally a bad things. I will also say that anything that modifies a players stats in any way is a bad thing. Sure, mvps I can live with, they are possible to get by just playing, but rewards that "break" the rules are to be shunned.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not think a 'niggle'-removing surgery (healing scroll/whatnot) would be game-breaking really.

But all prizes aside. It is the bragging rights you'd want to win such a tournament for.

The rest is just a bonus.
 Jump to: