19 coaches online • Server time: 03:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been waiting for a bit for FUMBBL_Academy to come back. My teams have been approved, but there's never anyone in the IRC channel.

I'm pretty new to BB both in RL and online, and the idea of "cutting my teeth" with other n00bs and helpful opposing coaches (not giving me any breaks, you understand, but explaining what they're doing and why while we play) is really exciting. Learning's more fun when you're not just getting kicked around the field constantly (or at least when you know WHY you're getting kicked around the field...)

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's my fault. I'm also sorry I didn't get back to your PM, Shepherd. Truth be told, I was trying to figure out what I am going to do with it, if anything.

What I'd originally wanted was to set up a channel specifically for new people (and not-so-new people who just needed some help with stratemagizationing) to gather and find similarly matched coaches. That never really worked out because I never really did any advertising or anything. I was simply too busy for the past many moons.

Soon, all shall be revealed... That's me being mysterious and trying to say I have no clue what I'm going to do.

Edit: The mentoring program suggested below and Treefinger and Seppuku's offers are pretty much what I had in mind from the beginning. I was just hoping to set up an sort of a semi-closed room for people to do their own thing. I say, "semi-closed" because anyone is welcome to join in but it would, obviously, be much smaller than the full #FUMBBL crowd and it would have a much higher concentration of newbies/mentors.

The thing is, it never took off. It's not like you've missed out on its storied past or anything, Shepherd. The simple reason it never took off is because I never got around to trying to actively recruit/direct anything. More than anything, I just set it up to save my catchy name for a time down the road when I could put some effort into it. Smile

Unfortunately, I have no idea when or if I'll have the time or inclination to get it running (assuming the concept would even work if I did manage to advertise it). I'll dwell on it a bit and see what I can figure out, if anything, regarding a way to proceed.

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %03, %2004 - %17:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

That's cool, BMM -- I know how it gets.

Maybe a mentoring program would be less of a load on you? Find a dozen or so experienced coaches who will play newbies and comment heavily during matches?

From my perspective, all I want is to play games against other coaches with more experience, who will say things like "You should maybe have broken left with that skink and gone for the ball, I was wide open" or "now I'm going to try to break through your cage with my Big Guy, then follow with my Amazon."

I don't want to be paired with anyone who will throw games on my behalf, but rather people who will explain how they're kicking my ass as they do it. Smile

But no pressure! It's not like you're getting paid for this or anything. FUMBBL itself is an awesome resource. I've been reading through the Tactics forum slowly and surely.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Shepherd

I've expressed my interest for fumbbl_academy before and if you want to get some coaching, I can perhaps give you some hints during play.

Send me a PM if you want to go for a coaching game.
Seppuku

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd, I always try to find out new players, and play an unranked game, or non-reported match, to show them the client etc etc. I'm more than willing to play you, or anyone else in a similar position, wether these be ranking games or not.

I'm not a great coach or anything, but I might show a few things, spot a few bad plays etc, and point these out. Anyway, offer to any newish coach out there is open.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happy to give a couple of 'tutoring' games to anyone who needs them. Again, I'm not the best coach around, but I'm good enough to give most people a close game, and enjoy chatting in-game.

Any rookie coaches who want some help, feel free to message me in chat.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2004 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Woohoo!

I will be in touch with some of y'all tonight when I get home from work...

- Matt

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

IS some kind of technophobe tutoring avail for starting out? I've never used anything like this before and its a bit (i.e. a lot) confusing.

I remember when 3 sections of polystyrene was considered "cutting edge" *sigh*

Steve

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Steve: the good news is the minis won't tip over Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah now you just tip coke over your computer and fry it.

...and yeah there are people less stupid than me hanging around to cope with the technobabble.

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

If you can get to the IRC channel, there are tons of people in FUMBBL_Academy that will gladly help you out. PM me if you need some help getting on IRC.

Jump to: