26 coaches online • Server time: 01:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing thought: I usually have 45-minute lunches at work, and a quick game of BB would be a great way to pass the time. So I was thinking -- they have speed chess, why not speed BBowl?

No real "hard" changes, just a commitment to finish games in under 40 minutes... probably 35 minutes of actual game time.

That means doing a half (one team's) turn in approximately a minute.

Crazy? Impossible? Maybe. I haven't played enough online games to know for sure. But it might be a fun new spin for the hardcore FUMBBLers.

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I seem to remember a rules variant for either 9 or 7 man BB in which this is exactly the intent--speed up play by limiting the # of decisions to make.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I hear people talking about 4v4 -- same idea, maybe?

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

or even a 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 as division. It would be cool.
hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, 4v4 games complete quite quickly. You may also want to consider playing stunty leeg, if you haven't already, as those games also tend to play quickly.

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hunter is right but 35 - 40mins risk to be short for stunty
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The 4v4 IT league is where I went for the same reason, although the frequency of games has dropped off a bit of late.

Still, check out IRC channels #4vs4IT, #4vs4IT90, and #4vs4IT120. There are also some 4 and 5 man leagues that run regularly scheduled weekly tourneys, although these are not timed to so easily fit in a brief lunch break.

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, setting up a lunchtime league might be a really good idea. Make a group and have a roughly 2 hour window in the middle of each workday in which every coach can get in one game. Then playoffs on the weekend seeded by the outcome of the open play during the week. Might be fun.

If you are curious about 4v4, check out Freefragger's 4vs4IT (the largest group on FUMBBL, coincidentally) and celas's Monday Night Fourball for two variations. The biggest differences are that the former is an Instant KO Tourney whenever you get 4 people with appropriately equivalent teams (and the teams have only 4 players, no reserves) while the latter is a scheduled time every week and the tourneys vary in format (also the teams have 5 men, but you can only field 4 at a time... so you have a reserve).

You wouldn't necessarily have to base quick games around a variant rule set - you could just make league rules "enforcing" a 1- or 2-minute turn limit (honor system) or something.

ps. Although hugely popular, I still think an entire fourball division is rather distinctly...

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Make a group and have a roughly 2 hour window in the middle of each workday in which every coach can get in one game.

You must have a very understanding/oblivious boss, BMM...

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh. One of those two adjectives applies.. I'll let you guess which one. Seriously, I had to stop playing at lunch because I got moved to a new, more exposed cube. Sad

I didn't mean for everyone to be online for two hours a 2-hour lunch... I meant designate a 2 hour window in which you have to show up for 45 minutes to find an opponent and play a game.

Just to keep everyone in sync, if ya ken ma drift. Gives people who tend to take earlier or later breaks (but are still in the same time zone) a chance.

Jump to: