59 coaches online • Server time: 18:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

...Everything worked great for up until I had the IRC client installed, JavaBBowl ready, and my FUMBBL account set up.

Then I (an IRC newbie) logged onto the #FUMBBL channel after much difficulty, and realized I had no idea how to actually invite people to start a game.

An overview of the Gamefinder on the FUMBBL site, the "bb lfg" command on IRC, how to PM someone through the site or on IRC, and a rundown on all the other bb commands (I still don't know what all those switches after lfg do) would be great for IRC noobs and FUMBBL noobs too.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

did you read the user guide?
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

This cute and cuddly little thing, here: http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index (If you start with the getting started parts it leads you step by step through all the following pages).

-Mnemon
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

And I did, Mnemon. But somewhere between here and here there's a whole section that isn't covered: actually making contact.

What would have been very helpful would be a brief tutorial on what to do when you're ready to go:

1. What the "Gamefinder" link at the top of the page does,
2. Where PMs appear and how to check them,
3. Going to your coach overview and picking "Play" to the right of the team name to launch the proxy.

Now that I know, it's hard to "un-know" and remember precisely what I found so puzzling, but there was a point where I had an approved team, I was sitting on the IRC client watching players scroll by, and wondering how I actually looked for games and started them myself (the "lfg" tag is just mentioned as an acronym, not as an actual IRC command).

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

He has a very valid point. Take a look at the page history for those pages... they were all written by coaches who have been here for ages - since the beginning in some cases.

I think there's a small matter of assumed knowledge that some of us just aren't equipped to deal with. Coaches who have played 300+ games simply have a difficult time writing instructions for people who are trying to play their first, sometimes.

To this end, I'd love to get some more input just like this. Things which those of us who have been here for over a year take for granted and assume that people will understand because it is second nature to the authors.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hear the words of wisdom...let it be, let it be. Like the beatles says it, they'll learn. But I'm not objecting to somebody writing these things down. Actually, now that Ithink of it, it's just great!

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I have one more thing to add:I would like to see a legenda explaining what those green R dots and what the yellow A dot next to your team name are. If the legenda is somewhere, then it's not on a newbie friendly place because I can't find it. I clicked on the view matches thing, but it took me quite a while to figure out you needed to click on the dots instead of the teamnames to get to the replays.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Torsoboy - it is indeed somwhere - namely on the page on Team Approval and the following one - though it doesn't mention you can click on those. But it is good you point these things out. Any suggestion in which section you'd have tried looking for that when reading the user guide index?

-Mnemon
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
Torsoboy - it is indeed somwhere - namely on the page on Team Approval and the following one - though it doesn't mention you can click on those. But it is good you point these things out. Any suggestion in which section you'd have tried looking for that when reading the user guide index?

-Mnemon

Well, I think all symbols should be explained in a topic under Reference. I expected Logos and Symbols to be the one I was looking for but it was something else. The FAQ did not answer my question, but maybe this isn't something frequently asked.

As to why it should not be under Advanced topics (although this is arguable): Advanced topics have things that you do, while Reference is something you look up things at.

edit: Are there only two sorts of dots? I could've sworn I've seen brown ones as well. Besides, some dots refer to a team's activation status and others link to played matches, which was why I found it confusing.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

There's Green, orange and yellow.

Green R is for Ready. That's the normal state of affairs.

Orange S is for Skills. It means your team has some skill rolls to make and you cannot play until you take care of them. Poor you. Razz

Orange W is for Waiting. It means that a match has been uploaded by an opponent of yours, but you have not yet uploaded your own results.

Yellow W is also for Waiting. It means that you have uploaded, but your opponent hasn't yet.

Yellow A is for Approval. It means that your team is waiting in line to be approved or rejected by an approval monkey.

Orange N is for New. It means that the team has not yet been submitted for approval and you can stilll remove players, RR, FF, etc... and get the cash back to spend elsewhere.

{ edit: Oh yeah...

Orange R is for Retired. It means your team is... well... retired.

Orange B is for Blocked. It means you've been a bad little boy or girl.

}
Is that it? Did I screw any up? Once someone else looks over it, we can throw it in the UG.

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %01, %2004 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Wizard

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to admit, i had the whole system figured out in 2min...
Never irc'd before or used the client, but its not very difficult.
Ask someone on the channel and they will tell you (and add sarcasim - its the net)

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember when we had the legend on our Overview page (of course that was a long time ago)

Hmm I didnt have any trouble finding a game to start with but then again I was introduced to Fumbbl by a tabletop BB friend who explained pretty much everything

but yeah if you have any questions ask in the chat and one of the many Experienced coaches will answer (although some are kind of Sacastic most are actually pretty helpful).
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, one more thing: even though the Humans are one of the teams most newbies are advised to start with, it is also one of the teams with the least advice on the strategy page. Is this because humans are really unpopular, thus don't get much play? Or because of their flexibility it is impossible to capture their playing style in a strategy guide? Are they so easy to play that they don't need much more advice? Is it intentional - ie. figure it out for yourself?
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I've played humans for nearly 150 games, I think I've seen most of their ins and outs, strengths and weaknesses, and how to exploit/defend them. I'd be more than willing to write up a report on human specific strategy, which others could then lend their inputs to. Just point the way to where to send it, and I can begin working on it in my free time at work. (Given it's the boring season at work--we work like mad two weeks, moderately one week, then all but off the next, before resuming the madness--I have quite a bit of time on my hands!)

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you work for the tax collector afk eagle. I could give ya a hand with human strategies.

Jump to: