52 coaches online • Server time: 23:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, I don't find Treemen all that useful either. They can be quite effectively negated and tied up by a single lineman while the rest of your team gets pummelled. Okay, so he might tie up more if your opponent is unlucky/obsessed with it, but in my experience, more elves is better value for money.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Its the long term thing really.

A treeman can soak up one of the three blocks on the line of scrimmage and save you loads of cash in the longrun.

A brilliant investment.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Laugh at me if you wish. But a treeman is sooo easy to convert... Just get some kind of head... from anything actually, then make a metal wire frame. Use plaster to cover it, make sure it's big, then use small pieces of REAL bark on him (as in from a tree, i'm sure you can find one... it's in that place called...Outside, painting the head grean, and perhaps adding a little sand to his head to make it look more treelike... add a big base and voila your own do it yourself treeman... Even if he doesn't look like a golden demon miniature your opponent will know it's a treeman..and it might only cost you a mere 2-3 dollars!

I personally used this technique to make my own treemen for my halflings, and made a bit of putty on the thing to look more tree-formed, and the model turned out great!

if i was you, i'd go for medium-low ff, with 6 games ff doesn't matter that much. Get an apothecary and GET THAT tree! He is your one big security.

Good luck, and have fun.
Funso

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Better yet, find a twig, and stick it to a base with some glue.

It's better than a minaiture, it's a real piece of tree!!
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Get some Mighty blow/Dirty players and fight back you will find you take less Cas if the opponent doesnt get more blocks than you in a turn and yes i have some experience at playing low TR woodies vs bashers

I will admit that you will take quite a few cas but you can still have a +ve cas difference with Wood elfs below TR 150 and have a high win percentage (note my average win percentage is about 43% so these woodies are actually very good)

I do agree with spreading the skills around your team it is a very good idea and in the short term buying a treeman can protect your Line of Scrimage however be careful of necro werewolfs if they get mightyblow you will have to foul them as they can do large amounts of damage to any player (even the treeman)

the norse will be your major problem as their first skill is tackle so getting dodge wont be that useful also they will have a lot of guards making it hard to get decent blocks on the opposing linemen and the Frenzy blitzers force you to stay quite distant from the sidelines leaving wide openings on defence

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=65243
jetliracer

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

It sure sounds like I'll never hear the end of it if I don't get a tree. Especially if I get pummeled.
We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the input so far.

And Funso - thanx for your tip, but I think I might got with DreadClaw's instead - no offense Wink

-jetliracer-
Headjuanter

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2004 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

In pretty much any league I'd start off with 10 lineelfs, a WD and 4?FF and 2RRs (or however that works out factoring in the WD). A Blodge Leap MA8 AG4 player can win you pretty much any game on his own (dwarfs might be a bit of a problem) whenever the other team doesn't have any skills yet. WDs get less important the more skills the other player gets (Tackle, MB, DP...) but at the beginning of a league they're godlike.
Delta

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2004 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Funso wrote:
Better yet, find a twig, and stick it to a base with some glue.

It's better than a minaiture, it's a real piece of tree!!

Better yet...buy a bonsai and keep it planted in a small plastic base.