63 coaches online • Server time: 23:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which should be implented first?
Secret weapons of course!
81%
 81%  [ 67 ]
No! I want wizards!
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 82

Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 14, 2003 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Skijunkie is considering which to implement first. Pick your poison.
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted wizards. I think they are more global, as right now only freebooter Star Players can use secret weapons. Since Fumbbl is not using SP's it would be underutilized. Also the SW rules are still being worked out with the BBRC. Wizards have a better chance of showing up on the pitch.

[edit]Realized pronoun them incorrectly referred to wizards instead of SW's. Grammar corrected[/edit]

Last edited by AsperonThorn on %b %15, %2003 - %01:%May; edited 1 time in total
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes and no. SW rules are still being worked on, but the effect of the weapons themselves isn't being changed, just the mechanics of who can get them. From what I have heard, a variant of the rules allowing regular players to have secret weapons will be official this year. In the meantime, the rules are officialy experimental, and would therefore be added to DivX until they were made official. Seeing as wizards are still freebooted, I'd say this means you would see a lot more secret weapons than wizards if they were to be implemented.

Last edited by Mr-Klipp on %b %15, %2003 - %01:%May; edited 1 time in total
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well allowing them in Div-X and only Div-X is underutilization. Wizards, on the other hand, can be implemented across the board.

Where the real question comes in is, Do we want to make an addition to Javabowl under the current rules? or Do we want to further the number crunching efforts of Galak and co., and hence making a statement on the usefulness of fumbbl, by utilizing Secret Weapons in the experimental stage?

Neither is unvalid. I would just rather see the elements that can be used in all divisions finished, first.

It is easy to see how the Wankers would vote, though Wink

Asperon Thorn
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, look at it like this. Sure, you could see wizards in any division. But at 50k a game, how often do you think they will really be used? With secret weapon support, I bet you would see at least one or two on most of the teams in DivX, not to mention Stunty Leeg, as well as more people playing there to try them out. And seeing as they will be official in some form later this year anyway, I would much rather see them before wizards that would probably only turn up for late stage tournament games.
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Well with that argument, I think we should have seen SW's before adding Multiple block. Yet I still stand by my convictions. 50K is honestly not that much.

Another point would be that Wizards are one element of the game, while SW's are multiple. The time it would take to add wizards will not be as long as that of SW's. By getting Wizards out of the way first, it would not be long before SW's could be worked on. The opposite would not be true. This is, of course, assuming a lot about the programming abilities of Ski, but so far I have been impressed.

Asperon Thorn
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

50k for us non elves is often a whole player. =) I don't think adding secret weapons should be that much of a task, as most of the weapons are just variants of existing skills and actions. What it boils down to for me, is that wizards are just not going to come up that often, but secret weapons are cheap and fun enough that they would be used an awfull lot.

The Finishing Touch
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Pah, you lose all sympathy from me with your "ooh noo our players are so cheap, that wizards might keep me from reaching 16 players in 3 games. oooo the pain is unbearable Razz " argument. And again, PAH.

Asperon Thorn

Where's my chainsaw?!? I heard enough of that. Image
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 15, 2003 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh. Thing is, people just don't freeboot much. Players, wizards, doesn't matter. It's just not worth spending a chunk of money that can only help you out in one game most of the time.

The Finishing Touch
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Upon further thought, I think that it wouldn't be prudent to compare freebooting wizards to freebooting players. In the stunty leeg I freebooted quite a bit until my roster filled out. Outside of Fumbbl people do freeboot players and star players much more often. On Fumbbl, people do not freeboot players, because of the open format. Choosing not to play teams that would not be so painful and saving up for a player with more permanency, rather than spend it on a player that could do little to help the teams development, and does relatively little during the game. And since winning games seems to be undervalued in the open format, it also lessens the appeal of freebooting.

A wizard, on the other hand, actually plays an active roll for a game. What Wood Elf player wouldn't love to surprise that brutalizing Choas team with a fireball?

Asperon Thorn

Last edited by AsperonThorn on %b %16, %2003 - %02:%May; edited 1 time in total
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, personally I wouldn't call 50k for one spell in one game that may or may not work an "active roll", but maybe that's just me Mr. Green

Last edited by Mr-Klipp on %b %16, %2003 - %03:%May; edited 1 time in total
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing to note. The dwarf wizard will be changed soon, though the final form that it will take is still up in the air.
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarfs do not use wizards! Its a runesmith!

Btw, I love to see both secret weapons and wizards implemented in the game, but when i have to decide, I'll take the weapons...
Where is my deathroller? Smile

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I thnink that both Secret Weapons and Wizards suck. So I'm against both of them. Cool
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizards were good when you could purchase them properly. I hope the reviewers change it back, but that would probably be a bolt out of the blue.
 Jump to: