18 coaches online • Server time: 06:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
New slot for Ranked Division?
YES!
35%
 35%  [ 53 ]
NO!
64%
 64%  [ 98 ]
Total Votes : 151

Eddy

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

ok so:

- playing against ogres only is not true ? having created like 3 or 4 vamp teams in unranked, i decided to eventually create one in U because i couldn't find any team looking for a game, except for Ogres. and after having had 2 teams wiped out by Ogres, i had decided that it was not worth the risk.

- ok, so basically you're saying i should spend 10 minutes per team lfg'ing in U to see if they really respected the LRB rules instead of just making SPP out of snotlings ? great, any idea more time-consuming ? oh, of course they have been brought in the past, of course i was there to read them. still, the topic is discussed again, so i fail to see why i shouldn't bring forward argments that make sense.

- why to force people to play elsewhere ? Ladder ? Faction ? i don't like tournament-like environments, i just like to play with the official rules in an open, supposedly competitive but relaxed environment. and what if i want to have a little bit of variety, and play two teams in parallel, while not retiring my halfling team, for example ? i don't have much time to play, and being restricted that much is frustrating.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Divx team that didn't play a single game against ogre:
Childhood Traumas

Divx teams that played a single game against ogres:
Everything is Morbidly Wrong!, Brotherhood of the Wolf

Divx team that played two games against ogres (one during divx cup, so I couldn't dodge those):
Tiny Happy People

That's 4/5 teams that played most of their games not touching Ogres. I refuse games with Pact and Ogre teams across Divisions these days and still get games. There ain't any problem with escaping them, just say no.

The point about not getting games is - because simply nobody tries, you know. If you just give up and focus on ranked it won't change in those other divisions. Unranked was meant to be the arrival point, the first station for new coaches. It doesn't work, because - for that to function they too, have to get games somehow. You are not restricted - in terms of variety - as long as you don't just focus on the competitive environment that ranked is.

I don't get the argument why it matters if an opposing team played against inofficial teams. I never did. I don't see the logic. It doesn't matter. You can pick teams that are of equal rating, and that is the only thing that matters in terms of whether that particular game is balanced according to the LRB or not. Just as it doesn't make a difference if a basher team needed 20 games to reach tr 200 and a wood elf one managed in 10 in ranked. Given the open environment of FUMBBL how teams gain spp doesn't have the slightest effect on your team or the LRB nature.

-Mnemon

Last edited by Mnemon on %b %27, %2004 - %17:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Eddy

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i'm glad for you to have found that much games. i have played vamps for 2 weeks and couldn't find anything but ogres, with a few exceptions. mind you, i couldn't stay connected all day long waiting for games. you ask to not focus on the competitive environment of Ranked, yet advise to go and try Ladder and Faction Smile
and about the "LRB environment" matter, it is becuase, once again, maybe not everyone wants to spends hours looking for balanced, official teams. basically, what you say is that we should allow a 16-Rat-Ogres team in Unranked because, heck, you don't HAVE to play them. i am not of that opinion, sorry.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

[I didn't mention faction, and ladder is about as uncompetitive as things could get, at the moment, due to lack of people playing.]

I'll stand by my assertion that the only problem that exists in divx and unranked are lack of people playing. I even recently asked people what would make them more interested, but neither thread really presented a solution - the only solution there is to make them active is to be active in them. The more people are active the easier it will be to get the type of games you are looking for. But I guess this is a case of "the tyranny of choices" - people just rather follow the example of everyone else.

-Mnemon
Ash

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Faction: how to have team that can find anygame...
Ladder: same...
Unranked: how to have opponement playing warhammer battle on a bloodbowl pitch
divx: same than unranked but with more bashy roster

ranked rules...

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You have a very distorted picture of what is happening in unranked and divx, Ash. Games are not foul/kill fests to any higher degree there, then anywhere else.

-Mnemon

Last edited by Mnemon on %b %29, %2004 - %14:%Nov; edited 1 time in total

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:
Faction: how to have team that can find anygame...
Ladder: same...
Unranked: how to have opponement playing warhammer battle on a bloodbowl pitch
divx: same than unranked but with more bashy roster

ranked rules...

You forgot:

Ranked: How to cherrypick the weakest teams Very Happy
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

The only games that dont have cherrypicking is unranked in tournements , everywhere else the cherrypickers hang out waiting for the elves Smile ( not dark or high elves as they are a bit blocky , and not wood if they have a tree ,
tza

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

well, if there's a demand for it, then why not implent it and after a while evaluate how things have gone? That's how I saw this poll - to see if there's enough of a demand for more slots in the ranked division.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to feel connected to my teams I think if you end up with too many they're just stats on the screen Smile
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

And think off the poor overworked Approvers Sad
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it has been explained in great length in other threads why there won't be more [R] slots added. Here's a brief summary: adding more [R] slots would harm the other divisions. [R] already dominates casual matches. Giving more [R] slots would make it even more difficult for the other divisions to thrive.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Project Censored

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2004 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

agree with evolve. I thought at the beginning give more slots to R. But not that cool at all.

Factions: a progress that 1 game is now the minimum but I would be back in faction if I could freeze my team for a round. I can't compete for so many games that often. I don't want to work hard to get up from Q and stage down because I can't play that often.

Unranked: U execpt tournaments? matter of time. I already haven't enough time to play in R so in U.......
No idea how to improve U.

DivX? useless and uninteresting........ sorry if you don't like that statement but divX should contain real fluffy rules. Not a retirement zone for R teams that want to avoid ageing.

ladder: unknown to me.

No more R slots. Rethinking the other divs. And how? don't know except div X. sure they would come out something great.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2004 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think DivX isn pretty dead at this point anyway.

How many [R] teams do you really need though???

Five has always been enough for me, with older teams getting moved to [U] to enjoy their hard earned retirement.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

@evo
and it has been argued at great lenght that if people played in R instead of the other divisions, it is because they don't like the other divisions, so why force them to play in the other divisions ? (repetitions intended)

Jump to: