48 coaches online • Server time: 18:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jetliracer

Post 22 Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

We're 4 guys setting up a small league.
We're planning to play round robin twice with 3 pts for a win and 1 for a draw. That gives a total of 6 games per team.
We're also thinking of adding a Semi and a Final in the end of the league to determine a champion. That way everybody has a chance all the way through. Problem is that we want it to be an advantage to finish better in the league before entereing the playoffs.
We've considered several options ranging from extra RR, FF or Gold, to the winner of the league choosing his opponent in the semi final. Or a combination.
We want to achieve a solution where the higher you finish in the league the better advantage in the playoffs. Problem is that we have yet to find a ballanced setup that carries on through the final.
Any suggestions out there Question

Thanx in advance.

-jetliracer-
celas

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just set up a KO tourney after the round robins seeded by points accumulated in the league.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm.
any fluff?

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

We did consider seeding after the position in the league but that can leave games in the league where you won't play to win - saving your players to the semi etc. So we're looking beef up the advantage a bit more. We want to try and preserve a 'win at all costs' mentality in the league as long as we can.

-jetliracer-
Funso

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Just off the top of my head, an option I can think of may be:

1st Get a random Star Player for the Semi and a different random Star Player for the final (if he makes it to the final)
2nd Get a random Star Player for the Semi
3rd Get an extra reroll for the semi
4th Nothing

A bit rough, perhaps a little inbalanced, but I know that if it was me, that would make me play very seriously for the great rewards!

And the best thing, while being a super reward, a random star player isn't totally unbalancing, the opponent would still have a chance. The winner would merely have a worthwhile advantage.
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2004 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Jet - is this on tabletop or here on FUMBBL?

A lot of the suggestions listed here cannot be implemented on FUMBBL.

Such as extra STAR PLAYER - you are assuming the team can actually afford to pay for one.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

We're playing table top.
A star player is somthing I hadn't even considered, might be a good idea. Of course that brings in the question of what Star players a team is allowed. But there are ways around that - could randomize from the allowed players. As for payment - I suppose he shuould be free.
Of course we don't have any star player miniatures Sad
How large of an impact can one reasonably expect a star player to have on a game? I have absolutely no experience with star players.

Funso you caught the gist of it. We want something that we'll make people try that unlikely triple dodge or a bad 3 dice blitz for the TD in the end of the game in order to win. Higher you place, the better the chances in the playoffs. Im thinking of letting number 1 play number 4 and 2 vs. 3 or letting number 1 decide his own opponent.
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I let the higher seed get 2 advantages

1) Choose whether to kick off or receive
2) An ectra reroll for each half

These (especially the reroll) will help and are something to strive for without unbalancing the game. STARS IMO would unbalance the game.

Other Ideas

Bribe the ref handicap - 1st catch on foul can be ignored , or any of the smaller handicaps allowed.

Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2005 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

how about:

1st - gains automatic entry into final
2nd - plays in playoff for final place
3rd - also plays in playoff
4th - watches as other teams play for fortune and glory!

this means 4th place still plays up to the last league game to get into playoff, but whoever wins playoff also has extra SPP's and FF for the final, to even up the odds.

that or let 1st play 4th in 'charity game'. this seems simpler to me than delegating bonii.

if youre really stuck on all playing in semis though...extra money given out before playoffs? 150k for winner, 100k for 2nd, 50k for 3rd, and loser gets a spoon.
 Jump to: