21 coaches online • Server time: 06:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
So, what do you think about it?
Sublime perfection
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Interesting; could work
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Unbalanced
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Pointless
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
If I never see a new Stunty team for as long as I live, it will be too soon
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

johan

Post 1 Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

In ages long past, before even the rise of Chaos, the frog-like Slann traversed space in their silver spaceships and raised magical portals. These days there are few left, beings of immense magical potency. Some study deep magical secrets in their jungle cities. Some lead the Lizardman armies to war. And, like every intelligent race in the world, a select few are diehard Blood Bowl fans.

Tired of scrying on matches in the Old World by magical means, some Slann Mage Priests have turned their magical might to the sport and assembled their own teams from whatever amphibian creatures they could find in the jungles of Lustria. The huge Bull Frogs of the deep marshes and the degenerate Frog people - whom no-one knows whether they're devolved Slann or frogs mutated and raised to sentience by the Slann - can be telepathically commanded by the Mage Priest to an impressive extent. The Mage Priest also supports his team with a barrage of magical powers, including telekinetically tossing the Frogmen through the air with an amazing precision.

Mage Priest (0-1)
MA 4 ST 4 AG 3 AV 9. Throw Team Mate, Hypnotic Gaze, Leader. Skills: G, S, P
110 K

Bull Frog (0-4)
MA 5 ST 4 AG 4 AV 7. Jump Up, Pogo Stick, No Hands, Wild Animal. Skills: S, A
90 K

Frogmen (0-16)
MA 4 ST 2 AG 3 AV 7. Very Long Legs (not included in MA), The Right Stuff, Stunty, Dodge, Leap. Skills: A
40 K

Star Player: Frogspittle (0-1)
MA 4 ST 2 AG 3 AV 7. Very Long Legs, The Right Stuff, Leap, Dodge, Poisoned Dagger, Side Step, Star
100 K

RR 60 K
Apothecary
Wizard

Design notes: This team is all about jumping about. With AG 3, Passing access and no nega-traits, the Mage Priest is potentially the best TTM-player in the game, but can also be developed as a passer or a fighter. Since he's an old, fat and lazy frog, he has no Leap and low move (to keep him from being a primary scorer). His high armour can be explained by protective amulets. It's because of the Mage Priest that the team can hire a Wizard.

The Bull Frogs are the Blitzers of the team, but with Wild Animal and no General Access, they're hardly reliable. Being frogs they can Jump Up, and Pogo Stick symbolizes their leaping power and that the referee sometimes send them off the pitch (see Squigs). Strength and Agility access means they can be developed in different lines.

The Frogmen are basically leaping Goblins with lower move due to their froggy legs (it's not easy being green). Very Long Legs have not been included in their move above, so with it, they'll have MA 5. This is mainly for fluff reasons, but it means that they're better than average at interceptions.

This team has not been playtested. Suggested tweaks could be:
* Altering the player or RR costs
* Reducing the number of Bull Frogs
* Removing Strength access on Bull Frogs

Fluff: Slann are canonical.
Uniqueness: The Mage Priest is the core of the team, and he doesn't look like anything else in Stunty. Apart from that, the team could be comapred to Goblins, Squig Herders or Pygmies.
Novel Playing Style: The Slann team can support more passing, leaping and TTM-play than any other team around, at the cost of Bashing power. Please note that this team would likely be overpowered if General Access were removed from Big Guys; it would then require a bit of nerfing.

Please comment. Smile

/johan
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Frogmen

A basic gobbo with -ma and leap.

Bull Frog

An improved version of the squig. No really stupid, no OFAB and S access added on. WA is not a big enough penalty for str 4 ag 4 even in ranked...

Mage Priest

4-4-3-9. Ag 3 TTM is strong. Passing skill access makes him really good (and a copy of my dark wizard player pretty much btw). Add in str 4 and av9.... he is now pretty much impossible to hurt unless you surround him and foul him to death.

Like the idea of frogmen but I'd say the squigs have the leaping/pogo aspect covered already...
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me explain how I thought when I created this draft.

There are, slightly generalized, two kinds of teams in Stunty right now. Some teams have Big Guys, and these teams are good. Others do not, and they are bad. One big reason for this is that Big Guys quickly turn slaughterbeasts, and since passing and TTM tends to be very weak for most teams, they'll have a very hard time scoring once they're mostly wiped out.

This team was designed to be more powerful than the other non-Big Guy teams - no ifs and buts about it - because the others are underpowered. The idea is to give enough hitting power to be able to mount a believable defence and offence (while still much weaker than two developed Big Guys), with the added ability of reasonable passing and TTM play.

With regards to Britnoth's comments:

Frogmen: Yes, they're not too different from Goblins. All Stunty linemen fall into that mold to a larger or smaller extent.

Bull Frog: Yes, they're much more reliable than Squigs. The absence of RSC make them tactical players rather than bashers. Considering how poorly Squigs seem to work out, being better than them is pretty much a requirement. I also think you underestimate how much Wild Animal will hurt when you field four of them (considering that you can only make one Blitz). Also, they'll take ages to skill up.

Mage Priest: He's really good, the center of the team, and AV 9 makes him stick around at least a little when the slaughterbeasts come knocking. Considering how awesome the Mage Priest is in Warhammer, he pretty much has to be a great player.

If we make a frog-based team, leaping is pretty much mandatory. Smile But I'm not at all locked up on anything in the team. Suggestions are much appreciated.

/johan
Bruno

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I wont comment on the fluff part, in a hurry here. But just one question, Isnt the slann and their lizards already covered in.... lizardmen and skinks? Smile

But, you say squig herders are bad therefore you make a new team that builds on the squig herders except make them better and call them Frogs? Why dont you help develop the squigs instead? Wink

But yes, ok, you got an addiction to frogs, so ill from now on not compare them to squigs that much...

Mage Priest
Wow. With stats such as that he is the most powerfull and reliable player around. He would even do good in ranked. But, if he is that fat, why not get him down to MV 3? And this is stunty, he just has to be given something to make him.... more stunty... at least always hungry considering his easy access to pass. We dont want to make tossing frogs the most reliable TTM- team out there.

Bull Frogs.
Again, wow. Drop jump up if you actually want to make a team that might work. Jump up kind of lessens the negtrait of wild animal since they can make a block so the WA roll is 2+ all of a sudden, as well as they are capable blockers with STR 4. Sorry, just have to compare to squigs, really stupid and OFB swapped for WA? How does it hurt when they at bad times stand idle and not loose their tackle zones?

Frogmen.
Hmm starting with leap, that is quite a good skill at times? Well, seems only reasonable that frogs go "squish". Lower AV to 6. Smile
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

With Stunty skill I'd rather dodge then leap forward, usually.

-Mnemon
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Bruno wrote:
I wont comment on the fluff part, in a hurry here. But just one question, Isnt the slann and their lizards already covered in.... lizardmen and skinks? Smile

But, you say squig herders are bad therefore you make a new team that builds on the squig herders except make them better and call them Frogs? Why dont you help develop the squigs instead? Wink

Hi Bruno,

Slann aren't covered anywhere, no.

And while it's true that there are similarities to Squig Hoppers, these are less then, for instance, the pretty damned similar teams of Goblins, Halflings, Chaos Halflings and Pygmies. In particular, the playing style and bashing power would be very different.

The Mage Priest would be playable in Ranked. So are Trolls, Ogres, Kroxes, Minos and Beasts. Smile MA 3 would be an acceptable tweak down - this guy is carried around in a palanquin in Warhammer - but I can't find a fluffy reason to make him Always Hungry.

You may well be right with regards to the Jump Up on the Frogs. I'm split on the issue. It feels so right and fluffy.

And with AG 3/Leap, the Frogmen need their AV 7, just so that they dare to even try. Smile

Thanks for the input,
/johan

Last edited by johan on %b %02, %2004 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
With Stunty skill I'd rather dodge then leap forward, usually.

Yes, usually.

/johan
Alanir

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The main thing is that the team has no hard hitting guys early on, and it will take a while for the bullfrogs to be able to hunt down stunties with no G access. The Slann is good, but that's the fact in warhammer - they're REALLY old and REALLY awesome. You might drop the str to 3 and raise the armor value, the latest incantation of slann has them as weak in close combat but excellent from afar. As much as I'd like to see a wizard in stunty, the fact that the blasts have MB just makes it way to powerful, and it could kill a whole truckload of stunties at one time. TTM on the slann could be seen like a teleport since he is a wizard and all, and that's why he's so good at it. Besides, even with P skills he won't be getting SPPS very fast at all. The only way I see this team scoring as of now is with a TTM, cuz everyone moves slower than average and the "big guys" don't have mighty blow or G access.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizards are already in Stunty. Fairies can hire one.

-Mnemon
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

What does "No Hands" do? Unable to catch the ball, because the player has no hands or..?

Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

unable to catch or pickup the ball. Pick up attempts fail automatically and the ball scatters this is NOT a turnover
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO this team looks promising but having five ST 4 guys in Stunty is just plain cruel. Imagine you wouldn't go troll-felling or tree-harvesting but decided to kill all the gobbos or 'lings instead? Three dice with only one assist, five times per turn. o_0

My suggestions:
Drop one or two Bull Frogs (2 or 3 max in the team) OR keep four and reduce their ST by one. Love their Jump Up skill but 4x Jump Up+ST 4=too good. Especially if someone rolls a +ST...

Frogmen look fine.

[sorry, mixed up P=Passing and Ph=Physical trait. Slann takes passing skills.]
Slann looks fine and taking block as first skill seems obvious. Then he'll be able to stay up and throw many team mates.

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %03, %2004 - %01:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Kommando

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

um. they don't even have razor sharp claws Wink squigs got 6 str 4 but lack of general access makes the difference...
the_grey_ghost

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool team.

1. Frogmen cannot have both dodge and leap and just A access. Not enough skills.
2. Leap on bullfrogs? if you took jump off them then it would counter balance leap.
3. Too many bullfrogs I reckon 3 max.

What about one or two skinks on the team? Just to act as runners or something?
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Kommando: Yeah, but Squigs have got OFAB. That makes a huge difference, as playing with too many ST 4 will cost in available re-rolls or the amount of players on field. How many ST 4 guys would YOU block with if the first one out of six fails his OFAB roll and either uses a double skulls-reroll for OFAB or saps one of your linos?

I'd still drop one Bull Frog from the team.

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %03, %2004 - %01:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: