34 coaches online • Server time: 11:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which roster is the better basis for further development?
Merfolk Team (dodge/stunty Merfolk runners, mermaids 4 2 3 5)
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Salty Seas Team (blitzer with MA 7 and strip ball, mermaids 5 1 3 6)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
A combination of the two rosters would be best (explain in your post)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither team works - Dump-Off is not suitable for Stunty Leeg
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither team works - other reason (explain in your post)
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
I don't know or I have an additional idea for this team
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
(I'd like to add another poll option and place it here) - suggest one in your reply!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Karhumies

Post 10 Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Backgrounds:

From the Great Western Ocean's deepest trenches comes the Salty Seas team. As the famous mage Kalas Wolzig was travelling on a huge boat to the island of Albion in search of an ancient treasure, a surprisingly strong storm arose and sunk the ship at night, while he was asleep. Not knowing how to swim, the situation looked grim to the magician. However, with the aid of magical spells and incantations, Kalas was able to form an air bubble around him before he went underwater. As the mage descended into the darkness, he soon saw strange lights from below him. There, deep beneath the surface, was an underwater city unknown to citizens of the Old World filled with strange, slimy creatures. After noticing the magnificent domes built on the bottom of the sea, Kalas decided one could become his secret study hall. With the help of friendly creatures living underwater, including beautiful mermaids, he was able to make one of the buildings water-proof and cast a huge air bubble around it. After spending a few years on the bottom of the Ocean eating only raw fish, shrimps and seaweed, the mage got immensely bored and decided to teach the strange creatures how to play Blood Bowl.

He had to make sure the players do not die because of dehydration, so he decided to construct a huge aquarium into the dugout of his air-filled dome. Then, using his magic, he was able to make assorted merfolk creatures come out of the water and breathe air. However, some of the creatures resisted his intense magic and became distorted in their appearance.This didn't really affect their playing skills, though: even after being mutated they were still able and more than willing to play Blood Bowl. It took years of hard practise and multiple generations of merfolk, but eventually the evolution kicked in and the players developed lungs big enough to make them breathe for one half of a Blood Bowl match. During the break between halves the players would come into the dugout aquarium and get some more water on their dried skins. And now, after years and years of endless practise, the Salty Seas team has come ashore to prove they are the best stunty team in the world of Blood Bowl!

Team Roster:
Merfolk team
0-10 Merfolk Runner 6 1 3 6 Dodge, Stunty, Sprint [Ag] 30k
0-4 Mermaid 4 2 3 5 Dump-Off, Dodge [Ag] 50k
0-4 Mutated Mermaid 5 2 2 7 Extra Arms, Stunty, Thick Skull [Ph, Ag] 50k
0-2 Jellyfish 3 3 1 8 Tentacles, Really Stupid [Ge, St] 80k
0-1 Whale 2 4 1 9 Stand Firm, Thick Skull [St] 100k

Alternate team roster:
Salty Seas Team
0-12 Mermaid 5 1 3 6 Dodge, Dump-Off [Ag] 30k
0-4 Mutated Mermaid 5 2 2 7 Extra Arms, Stunty, Thick Skull [Ph, Ag] 50k
0-2 Fisherman 7 2 1 7 Piling On, Strip ball, Dodge, Stunty [St] 70k
0-2 Jellyfish 3 3 1 8 Tentacles, Really Stupid [Ge, St] 80k
0-1 Whale 2 5 1 9 Stand Firm, Thick Skull, Big Guy [St] 100k

Star player: Kalas Wolzig, animator of things living underwater 5 3 2 9 Leader, Block [70k/match] (The money is used to bribe the referee)

Star player: Merfolk Cheater 4 1 3 5 Dodge, Poisoned Dagger, Right Stuff, Thick Skull, Two Heads [30k/match]

Apo: yes
Re-rolls: 60k
Wizard: no (Head Coach's magic would be disrupted by the presence of a meddling rookie mage)

Head coach: Kalas Wolzig, animator of things living underwater
The head coach is capable of arguing the call with a referee.

Team rule:
Before each game, the head coach will give a lucky kiss for one of the team's mermaids. Unluckily for the team that kiss will break the spell cast on the mermaid, returning her to her true form.
Roll a die to see, which mermaid or mutated mermaid was kissed. This player counts as having frog status for the duration of this match. After the game is over the player will return to normal.

[Additional fluff rules]

Additional rule #1:
If you are playing on tabletop, you may use a nearby aquarium to present the team's unique dugout. If there are hungry (gold)fish inside that are large enough to swallow any of the figurines placed in the dugout, the team will be rewarded with an extra re-roll for this match.

Additional rule #2:
As the Salty Seas team players are accustomed to rather moist conditions, they do not suffer from the -1 modifier to ball handling while playing Blood Bowl in pouring rain.

[/additional fluff rules]

Player backgrounds:

Merfolk Runners - used as messengers in the underwater kingdom. They are extremely fast but aren't used to walking on sturdy ground. Hence they will occasionally fall over whilst running.

Mermaids - very beautiful, yet not physically strong enough to survive against large creatures such as trolls, vampires or beasts. They get nervous whenever a player from the opposing team gets near them and will occasionally panic and throw off the ball. When there are no significant threats close at hand, the mermaids are soothing and reliable ball-handlers that bring balance to the whole team.

Mutated mermaids - These horrifying creatures used to be normal, beautiful mermaids before Kalas's spell accidentally transformed other body parts than their lungs only. Each one of them has an extra arm or two and at the same time their bodies have become much sturdier than an average mermaid's. Due to occasional, uncontrolled twitching and trembling they aren't as fine ball-handlers as their regular relatives but the extra arm makes up for that in their catching skill.

Fisherman - mermaids are famous for luring sailors into the depths of the Ocean. Fishermen are not as good at bashing as pirates but they have strong, crafty hands capable of pulling and organising fish nets, setting sails, making tight knots and stripping a ball from their opponents. The sailors aren't really interested in playing ball - their pirate heritage makes them want to bash opponents until they crack. This explains their piling on skill, although Dirty Player is another option to go for.

Jellyfish - These Jellyfish were swollen by Kalas's magic to enormous measures. They are a strength to be afraid of. However, over 90% of their body mass is made up of water - leaving almost no space at all for brains. Hence the low armour value and Really Stupid.

Whale - this whale is rather small compared to his cousins but heavy enough not to be pushed back by a tiny goblin. It is hard to pierce the layer of fat right beneath the skin, making him ilvunerable to most attacks. Rolling or dragging on the ground is very hard for a heavy creature such as a whale, even with the aid of Kalas's magic. Also rolling back over once being pushed to one side is a very difficult task.

Kalas Wolzig - A sturdy wizard who can use not only magic but his own body as well. Supreme leader of the team, a key element in their success.

Merfolk Cheater - The fellow found a rusty sword from a sunken ship and used it to defend himself against a giant octopus. Other Merfolk see him as a traitor and a disgrace to his kin, as his self-defence was retaliated with a sea monster attack into the merfolk city. Feeling sorry for the soon-to-be-lynched merfolker, Kalas adopted him to play in his Blood Bowl team and gave him a nice, poisoned dagger to stab with. Smile

Team creation history:

The idea behind this team was to make a team around Dump-Off to cover up for their OK movement and lack of throwing team-mates/blunderbuss. The main difficulty was the fact that Stunty players may not throw short passes. Therefore I had to make the mermaids "regular" players, which lead to the reduction of their AV from 7 to 6/5 (as in no stunty bonus for the injury roll; the mermaids are supposed to be soft).

I also wanted to make Mermaids the basic linemen of this team and have additional "blitzer players" with AG 1 to recover the ball from an opponent. They looked something like this:

0-2 Fisherman 7 2 1 7 Piling On, Strip ball, Dodge, Stunty [St] 70k

This is presented in the alternate roster, which hasn't been playtested as much as the first one.

At one point I considered giving the mutated mermaids Nerves of Steel for receiving dump-offs but then I noticed how it could be abused with Catch and long-throwing regular mermaids.

The big ST guys in this team are not really for bashing, they are more or less in there to tie up opposing players. Jellyfish have Tentacles and Whale has Stand Firm to accomplish this. Whale used to be a Big Guy but in the end I decided to test him also as a ST 4 wall without general access. Instead I gave the Ge access to Jellyfish and made them Really Stupid (do IRL Jellyfish even have brains btw?) to balance the roster. It is quite advisable to let the Jellyfishies tie up a couple of guys and leave them behind with 1 assist at most so they don't lose their tackle zones. Other wise they just freeze and slaves pour through your defenses to retrieve a blunderbussed ball. :-\

Conclusion:

This team lacks in ST but has decent AG and some ball-passing elements. Main idea is to pick up the ball with a mermaid and keep a couple of runners or (mutated) mermaids handy for a Dump Off. It's also possible to create a Dump Off chain out of several regular mermaids. Then a nice finishing pass to a runner or (mutated) mermaid and you are ready to kill yourself with the GFI rolls. Wink The Star players are there to blitz and to inflict some casualties (BG elimination), which should make up for the team's weaknesses.

How to play against this team:
Hit the ST 1 players as hard as you can (3 dice with 1 assist) and tie up the mutated mermaids (ag 2 and no dodge). Regular mermaids are slow scorers and the big guys don't have enough AG for ball-handling. Watch out for Dump-Off, as it can surprise you and totally ruin your blitz!

THIS TEAM IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT AND HAS TO BE PLAYTESTED MORE!
Any voluntary help will be more than welcome. All you need is a HTML roster editor, Java BBowl and more free time than I've got. Smile

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %03, %2004 - %02:%Dec; edited 6 times in total
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I have now added a poll to the beginning of this thread. The results should help in the development of this team.

If anyone is interested in playing a TR 100 match against (or with!) a Merfolk/Salty Seas team, please send me a private message and I'll see what I can do. Smile

Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like it at all. Find something in warhammer fantasy that would fit into the bloodbowl world. I wish more players would do that instead of comming up with weird stuff. Also, bloodbowl doesn't allow animals to play. So the whale and jellyfish would have a penalty roll from the reff like squigs.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jackbedead wrote:
I don't like it at all. Find something in warhammer fantasy that would fit into the bloodbowl world.

Couldn't agree more.

I find this team even more troubling because there already is a proposal for a "dump off team" that actually fits into the Blood Bowl World. The Circus Team.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Circus Team

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the thread about the Circus team. It looks really promising, as it is funnier and has more Warhammer-related fluff than my team. I'll begin to support that one. Smile

Although I did check that there have been various sightings of Mermaids in the Warhammer universe (there's even a pub called 'The Mermaid' in Altdorf), the rest of the team is...well...fishy.

BTW, as there is a team that is built even around Dump-Off, the list of available BB skills is about to run short. Shadowing, leap/pogo, OFAB, secret weapons and TTM have been seen and done, so there aren't that many available options for new stunty teams. Maybe a team with bone-headed/really stupid ball carriers?
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2004 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

As a late addition: I thought I had come up with something very original taken from the top of my head but my roster actually looks like a rip-off of the Circus team. There are only very slight differences explained by the merfolk theme. :-\

Jump to: