10 coaches online • Server time: 05:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

maxlongstreet. I call for an end to this discussion based on the FIRST response! As Mezir said, do a Forum search. I'm quites confident that your enlightened opinion has been expressed and responded to at least 3 dozen times. Read all those threads, then add anything new you have for us.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Gee, I didn't realize the yellow fish was in charge of what could and couldn't be discussed!
Menikmati

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

take a look at his postcount, hes in charge of ANYTHING related to the forum... he even stands above his own directives:

Macavity wrote:
STOP TALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Razz

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

True that! You should have seen me turn the Firehose on a chat discussion the other night!

Edit:: Questions about my right to do so should be referred to my legal representation.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I've taken advantage of a slow work day and read through every time limit thread I could find. I read through 11 of them--I might have missed some, but I think I got a pretty fair sample.

What struck me is that all the threads are exactly the same. Someone has a slow game and suggests that the LRB 4-minute turn time limit be enforced. Other people say that this doesn't give people a chance to pee, answer the door, etc. Other people (often Macavity) dismiss the whole idea, saying it's been discussed before. Rarely, if ever, is a more sensible time limit (chess style) ever even mentioned and never are it's merits argued.

The arguments against it are:

1) You won't get a chance to pee or do whatever

2) The powers that be don't want it

3) You'll take the social chat out of the game

4) It's too hard to program.

As far as I can see, only #4 has any merit, and even there I'm not sure, since I'm not a programmer. To be clear, I would never want a 4-minute turn limit. That would suck, for the reasons everyone had said. I would also never want a time limit to be mandatory--Relaxed games with chat are fun. It would either be an option that would have to be selected by both players, or a game within a timed division. The time limit would be chess style, a certain amount of time for all your moves, plus a certain amount per move. Something like 40 minutes plus 2 minutes per move. The extra minutes per move means that you can never run out of time for the game; if you go over you keep getting an extra two minutes per turn. Going over the total time limit would have no consequence other than bringing your present turn to an end. You would have over an hour to complete all your moves. Options that player two has during player one's turn (sidestep, apothecary, pass block, interceptor) would temporarily switch the clock to player two until they completed the option. And it would be OPTIONAL. I fail to see why this idea enrages people.

I'm certainly not saying that we have to have this, that we/I have a right to this, or anything of the sort. It would be nice though.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I like this Guy!!!! Way to read! Actually, I personally have thought that the Chess method would be the best option, but I think that number 4 is a big one. As for people being stupid and rude... well, I'm stupid BECAUSE people are rude... "Discussed to death", has come to mean, "Discussed to pointless insults", not "Discussed thoroughly".

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I like Fumbbl enough that I would pay $10-$20 a month to be able to have someone like Skijunkie be able to work full time on implementing cool features like this. Let's see, maybe a thousand subscribers at $10 a month....that would do it.

How's that for enraging the masses, Macavity? Suggesting people pay for fumbbl?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's great! I'm all about the love in form of money, but if you check the conceding thread, you will see that I do not control the flow of my money.... Sad Pay fumbbl would mean no Macavity! (How's that for garnering support????)

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, you could swing 10 bucks a month...that's small enough to swing. How do you donate to fumbbl, anyway?

Edit update: found the "donate" button. They don't call me a genius for nuthin'...
magan174

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Shhhhhhhh. Dont bring this up. GW has ears and eyes everywhere.......making money on a online BB game? Nah they wont try to do that.......or would they?

(And I have a set of BB of course. A pitch and seven teams.)
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how much $$ it would take to buy BB from GW. I hear they need all the cash they can get.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Max, if you have that much, I could use a donation or two myself....

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

maxlongstreet wrote:
Chief Nimrod here. It's sort of sad how those opposed to time clocks feel the best way to argue their point is at best to command a halt to the discussion and at worst just insult those who disagree with them.

It's sort of sad how those in agreement with time clocks feel the need to completely IGNORE THE FREAKING SEARCH FUNCTION, and realize that these stupid, ignorant ideas have been proposed multiple...multiple...multiple times before, have been argued, discussed, debated, multiple....multiple...multiple times....

maxlongstreet wrote:
The arguments against it are:

1) You won't get a chance to pee or do whatever

2) The powers that be don't want it

3) You'll take the social chat out of the game

4) It's too hard to program.

Tell you what, how bout in your next argument, you conveniently ignore a few more arguments against this retarded idea...such as...

5) some of us have families, that may or may not need tending to during the course of a game

6) one of the *BIGGEST* factors, because i think everyone has been screwed one way or another by it.....L-A-G

so let me retort to your pathetic attempts to force everyone to play your way and not however they deem fit...

1) yeah sure, i doubt people are going to get highly screwed by needing to use the bathroom, whatever....point conceded

2) um...hi mr conspiracy theorist...there is no "powers that be" other than the site admins....just because some of us that are against your pitiful ideas, and that we're vocal about it, and outspoken, doesn't mean that we're in some super secret organization set to ruin your gaming experience(while i am part of a super secret organization, it has nothing to do with fumbbl)

3) yeah...actually....the social side of a game will get cut down on big time...how many times have you gotten into a conversation midgame, and forgotten to take your turn?....next thing you know this'll be the extent of your conversation "oh sorry can't talk, have to move my witch elf before my timer runs out"...and also....those players that you bitch and whine about being so slow to begin with, how is it going to affect their socialness, if they're already under a time crunch, and talking will just slow them down anymore?....

4) yes...programming...i'm not a programmer, i hate it...but yeah, this is a big one...

and since you chose to conveniently ignore a few others, i'll retort to my own 2 followup points...

5) yes...some of us have families...i know i had an opponent in the past who unfortunately conceded because his twin daughters woke up, and he needed to tend to them...i know i've had opponents from time to time, take a break to answer a phone call...i know i've had to do the same because of work calling....and you want to chastise these people by doing something as retarded as forcing them to end their turns, because in their free time, they still maintain some level of responsibility to the outside world?...nice....go team..

6) oh...lag....i'll just say this....if your time clocks get put in.....you have *NO* right to ever bitch about lag screwing you over ever again...have a nice day

so, again, i say, whatever happened to fumbbl being fun?...what happened to having some sort of community spirit...being sociable?...this isn't "The Kasparov Football League"....it's freaking blood bowl....

it's a game based off of a rts mini game that took 4-5 hours a pop to finish....and the entire time was two opponents chatting, and having a good time....

we're not here to see how high we can push our chess ranking....i don't know if you got the memo, but here i'll resend it to you....THIS ISN'T CHESS....

also, why must you insist on telling everyone else that they have to conform to your playstyle?...why can't other people play the way they wish to, and if you don't like it, *YOU* can choose not to play them?

you talk about, "oh, well if you don't want a time limit, just don't play that person"....why don't you turn around and apply that to yourself?...if you don't want to play someone who is slow and has to think a little harder at this game, than you do, why don't *YOU* not play them?

i'm not against some sort of time limit directly, don't get me wrong...what i'm against, is things implemented by the site, that limit people's pool of coaches to play against.....things like....time limits, ebay style feedback, "playstyle polls" or whatever the flavor of the weak(yes that was intentional) is....

what you're basically doing is segregating the community into a "fast group" and a "slow group"....and what does that achieve?...a lot less players to play against....it's bad enough that we have coaches who won't pay against foulers, stallers, khemri, dorfs, whatever...those things are a part of the game, they can't be taken out.....it's also bad enough that we have coaches who won't play others because of their CR(another bad idea, imo, but what can you do?)...now you want to put in something else that restricts coaches even more?....good job...way to think of your fellow fumbbl'er....three cheers for you...

--j
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow, if you actually bothered to read my last post, you'd know that I went back and read the last two years of threads on the topic and that it was based upon that reading. I understand your point about not wanting to make it harder to get games by subdividing the player pool any more, and there is validity there, but look at it this way--If you want a relaxed, casual, slow, fun game, do you really want to play a game with someone who has a limited amount of time? Why not play with someone who wants a relaxed, fun game? And by the way, there are ways to argue your point that don't involve insulting anyone who disagrees with you. Finally, I think you still are missing my two major points: 1) a chess style time limit does NOT force you to end your turn when something comes up! You could disappear for 15 minutes and still have plenty of time to finish the game, and 2) I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, I believe in having options. A lot of the time, I would choose to play with no time limit.

As a semi-related aside, it's worth sharing that we played our tabletop club championship with chess clocks. It made for incredibly fun playoffs. In addition to keeping the pace moving, it added to that nervous tension. In our case, the penalty for using all your time was that you when you ran out, you had an illegal procedure penalty called on you every turn. When this ran you out of rerolls, then the bored fans would throw a rock at your team every turn. In our game, both me and my opponent allocated our time to finish the game with just a little time remaining, but we forgot to anticipate that the game might go into overtime! It did, and we both soon ran out. A mad scramble for the ball occurred in the OT, with both of us out of rerolls and rocks raining down from the crowd. Both me and my opponent consider it the funniest, most entertaining BB game we ever played. Now, it's not that this is the RIGHT way to play, but having the option was cool.
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome. That's a house rule fully made in the spirit of Blood Bowl.

I can just picture the crowd tossing rocks into the stadium...and maybe a snotling or three get accidentally tossed in as well...the picture is worth a thousand words.
 Jump to: