87 coaches online • Server time: 22:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2004 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

SEASON 8 HAS STARTED

This will be the thread for all Season 8 announcements, but I have one gripe on Season 7...

It appears that teams are avoiding teams in the draw for Conference and Premier leagues. It appears also to be happening blatantly in the chat window as well that some teams are prepared to forfeit against others.

This will not be tolerated in Season 8. If this continues, its off to the Swamp with you.

If you do not want to play an opposing team, then fine... but connect and concede and take the loss of FF and appropriate star players...

Sorry to start off with a gripe, but I think it needs to be said.

On a more pleasant note, Round 1 will not be due until January 17.

If you are away on holidays or this is a problem, extensions will be granted because it has been quiet around the SWL due to the festive seasons.

Hope you all had good Christmas' and will have a big NYE.

Cheers,
Clay
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2004 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

And OFC don't forget our very own Channel BB! for all the fluffiest posts you can manage.

Season 7 was a bit light on for i feel for fluff, partly because i was bit lacking but we have a few regular contributors with Ed Harsh of Hoof and Herd ( AKA Ozjesting ), BoB Borc ( Myself and Snorri ), Lars Nielson ( Toonie ), Imagannabegot (Sparticus), Kooshee (Andycapp), and ofc last but most definitely not least that purveyour of all things fine and sticky, league special agent, promoter extradionnaire and owner of the Donut Boys, Mr Whippy ( Clayinfinity ).

Part of the problem if i may be so bold is the lack of fluff and bios with some teams. I am slowly adding a fluffy piece for my players as they do great thigns and gain great skills aand most of us regular reporters appreciate th effort some of our coaches make in fluffing up their sides, it helps us all greatly when writing our reports to know stuff like " The Duke is team captain and living legend of the team. He is also the most hated player in the league, and has won in season 3 the copper boot, season four the golden arrow, and in season 6 silver knuckle" etc.

If you would like to be a regular contributor to Channel BB! just pick a reporter name of your own, decide on the scope of your reports, eg Ed Harsh just follows the career of the Black Crowes in the SWL, Whilst Bob Borc roves the league looking far and wide for stories and handle things like the Twahnlow presentations, and Lars Neilson handles one of the conferences and Mr Whippy just does as he wishes, and get to it.

A good guideline to use is please try to link at least one reference to a player or team to that player or team. If you mention a team name say 5 times try to have at least one of those references linked, if you don't know how to do this please ask someone who does in their reports, it adds something to the league to have all this handy and helps to make us pretty much the best league on fumbbl, with a widespread sense of community and a lets have fun attitude.

This Season 8 Forum is ofc for league announcements and general season chit chat etc and posing questins about the league or things like " Hey wheres bloody Chunky, im not goona get me game done" but Channel BB! is a living history of the league, its coaches, teams and star players. Their triumphs and failures. So get on out there and tell your lads story!

Hope you had a good chrissie and lets all have a good and safe New Year folks. Till then, make mine a pink frosted with sprinkles Mr Whippy!

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2004 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

im away at the moment... you can read about my adventures at http://www.gumbi.net

Will be back on the 8th of Jan
Snorri

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Premier Teams!

For the oncoming season I think a progressive scoring for the Twahnlow Medal will work better than a posthumous evaluation and would like to give it a shot if you're all keen.

Proposal:

After each game, nominate a single player of your opponents who was the standout player for the team and award them between 1 and 5 points depending on how big a role they played in the match. You may even want to come to a mutual agreement on your choices.
I think we're a scrupolous enough bunch to give credit where it's due on this without needing an unbiased arbitrator!

Once decided, enter it in the game's comment section - perhaps even add a little fluff to it.

Another option being thrown around is to choose 3 players from your opponents' team and award them 3-2-1 points in order of merit. Obviously less chance for bias here.

Have had some interest from those in the conferences about this also. Post your comments thoughts, ramblings etc here!

Cheers,
Snorri.
theopacman

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm jumping in for the 3-2-1 approach. I think it rewards more consistant play and less chance of the winner coming off a 2 game purple patch getting 5 +5 votes.
Also think some coaches may mark harder than others meaning one conf may have a better chance than others.
A slight posability that unscrupulous coaches may always give 1 vote only to increase the chances for their stars

Perhaps the Votes are emailed to snorri instead of posted ,just to avoid the temptation in those last few rounds to peg back a rival player by giving him low points.
dtahyaio

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I agree the ballot should be kept confidential ... and the 3-2-1 approach sounds a lot better.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A word of advice... games get forfeited and coaches get lazy and forget to post comments and its even worse when you rely on an email system...

I think the quest for a 'perfect' solution of fairness is not possible due to the reasons above...

However, I applaud any efforts at the fluff side and give my paltry vote to the 3-2-1 system...
Snorri

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand Clay - they're usually my first thought. Email is inconvenient and people would be less likely to jump in and do it, so I'm not inclined in that direction at all.

I'd also planned this solely for prem only as the people there are usually keen at making the most of it while they're there. But I'm quite happy for conferences to take it up too if a simple system can be set up. Forfeits shouldn't really be too much of a problem. Specially if you get that axe out this season clay Smile

I reckon we keep it to just Premier division this season, keeps it simple to organise and allows us to test it. Also provides that little bit of extra fluff for those teams that make it to premier.

1) Opponents vote three standout players on the opposing team and award them 3-2-1 points in order of merit. This can also be decided on mutually if you both wish.
2) Details are added in the match reports after every match.
3) Someone will act as an unbiased arbitrator. If there is any serious complaints about unwarranted awarding of points, the arbitrator can be asked tol review the replay and possibly override the result.
4) The arbitrator could also act as reporter to channelbb keeping us all updated through the season.

Will need someone else to act as arbitrator as the Krasherz crashed into prems somehow this season. Send me a PM if you're willing to take this up!

Cheers,
Snorri

PS Might be a good idea Joe, either that or have a spectator award them. We'll see when we get there. I reckon those of us in Prem though will do the right thing here though, not like we're playin for sheep stations!

Last edited by Snorri on %b %01, %2005 - %06:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I would limit it to Premier as we need to Fluff Prem up and make it a 3-2-1 fluffy type thing but the last 2 rounds get emailied to Snorri? hows that sound. As a backup maybe the stats could still be kept for prem in case there develops an issue with the info not getting posted or something?

Keep the ideas coming Snorri

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the Premier certainly lost a bit of fluff when the Dragons were demoted... now we are in the hand of those bums from Carlton to talk it up... *yawn*

Razz
theopacman

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Letting you know I'm away for a weeks holidays.

Get those Qpool games in guys so the Ancients have someone to play Wink
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I for one am certainly looking forward to fluff oppertunities come season 8 of the Premier League!
Now...if only it would start.

(and small point...premier seems to have lost a bit of it's oomph. No stories...the season is all over the place...and having a playoff seems odd too...esp as it always seems to throw it out of synch with everyone else.)

Here's to restoring the glory! Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

And it's that time again - race count time - YAY!

Orc 6
Dwarf 5
Human 4
Chaos 4
Khemri 4
Norse 3
Lizards 3
Woodies 2
Undead 2
CD 2
Dark Elf 1
Rotters 1
Zons 1
High Elf 1
Necro 1
Rats 0
Pro Elf 0
Ogres 0
Vampires 0

Please only submit new teams for those with LESS than 3 teams currently in the league. This means only:

Wood Elves
Undead
Chaos Dwarfs
Dark Elves
Rotters
Amazons
High Elves
Necromantic
Skaven
Pro Elf
Ogre
Vampire

teams will be allowed into the league. This is not just our policy to annoy you, it is to maintain balance and variety within the league. If you can't make the team you want, suck it up and make a different team, do your best, and eventually an opportunity to change to the one you want will come up.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2005 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Happy New Year all,
I'm back from holidays too, and ready for Premier - but where is Season 8 ?
Let's hope the games are played soon, so we know who we're up against in the draw !

I'm for the 3-2-1 Twahnlow system being implemented, if my vote counts.

Also, look to more effort from Kooshee as we get underway - he will make more than the single appearance from the previous seasons. I was just getting into the character of Kooshee, but I think I'm getting there.
I also note that it will be more often, but less rambling each time, so I don't take up all of the SWL's allotted server space Wink Besides, I've got to get my work done too (that's when I fluff it up best) Smile

cheers, andycapp
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who may be interested in what I get up to while waiting for Premeier League to start...have a look here in the PacMan Theme thread Just a bit of old school arcade fun now available for your playing joy Wink
Have fun!