47 coaches online • Server time: 16:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Crunch

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there,

I'm trying to give my brother some tips on playing his regular Elves in our local league. He's been having some difficulty in scoring, and this is mainly because of his opponents getting lucky and knocking him down to 8 or 9 players in the first couple turns, and being unable to recover from the early hammerblow.

Now, personally, with my own Wood Elves i've found that both being super-aggressive with my blocking for the whole game, as well as being very conservative and dodging everyone away have both worked very well for me.

I'm curious as to what peoples thoughts are on a general gameplay with AV7 teams. I know the maxim of running from big teams and beating up the smaller teams, but do you believe that one method is better than the other as a general rule? Is it better to knock everyone down so you dont get hit, or better to run away so you dont get hit?

-Crunch
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well they cant hurt you if there on the floor , my Amazons have a positive casualty record because i get to throw a lot more blocks than my opponents ( and they are ssoooooooooooo lucky )

Very Generally

Throw 2 dice blocks you already have .
dodge players to make more 2 dice blocks
blitz ball carrier if you can (or move ball handler if you havent done so already )
throw any 1 db you want to

Last edited by nazerdemus on %b %30, %2004 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
SixFootDwarf

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it kind of depends on what kind of AV7, obviously. Norse and Amazons are av7 but after a while those two can bash with the best of them. With them, hit anything that moves. Linemen are dirt cheap for both, so just look out for your Blitzers and tossers.

Elves on the other hand are more expensive so you have to be careful with 'em. I've always had the best luck with dodging away a LOT and throwing a pass once a turn, whether you need to or not. They start totally skill-less so you have to get 'em block or dodge in a hurry. A couple with block to be on the line, and a couple with dodge to run away...then alternate when they hit 16. But if you build your team and/or play a punchy style with Elves eventually it's gonna come back to haunt you. Yeah, Elves can usually score at will, but you still have to THINK, and if your team is taylored to hit you're not gonna have the skills needed to get that crazy TD if you really need it. (Elves without dodge invariably roll a '1' when you really need to dodge away. Nuffles 3rd Law of Motion)

I'd say play 'em like they should be played because a punchy Elf team or a shifty Orc team is fun for a bit, but they're eventually going to have to play to their strength or suffer losses. If you want bashy AND Elf, Dark Elves are your team.
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i think you just have to play to what your team strengths are. I found my wood elfs started off running away and mostly cowering....but now that i have loads of guard on my linemen I have developed a casualty difference better than my chaos team. Whatever tactic you adopt it is worth sticking to it......but in terms of dodging away......never forget the importance of having their players in tackle zones, as this allows your others players a greater degree of mobility, which in turn will force your opponent to roll those risky dice.

get your bro watching some replays of some of the better coaches wood elf teams for advice.....

i'm sure they won't mind being elevated to temporary teachers.....especially as it requires no extra effort on their part
Crunch

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I think he's much more comfortable with playing high armor bashy teams. He's been rolling poorly with his dodge rolls, ending up still tied up with most his players and finding out pretty quickly just how much worse AV7 is than AV9. I'm just not sure what to tell him. For the most part I just keep running away, but I did find that those games that I threw caution to the wind and played super agressive, I did just as well and would even out casualty Orcs or Chaos, just through sheer number of armor rolls. His elf team is still young and unskilled, and now he's down to playing with 10 guys and near to giving up the team. I don't want to see that as the Elves are very good and he's just getting dice raped, but I'm at a loss for more tips and tricks to give him other than smash the beejezus out of the other team and hope for the best.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If your playing bashers and cant set up a screen to your ball carrier you have to have players who are willing to take one for the team so to speak so they need to stand up to the block and stay in your opponents tackle zone so that if they are gonnna get to your ball handler they have to go through him
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Crunch wrote:
He's been having some difficulty in scoring, and this is mainly because of his opponents getting lucky

Smile You should introduce him to more girls then. Wink

Sorry! couldnt resist! Just had a hard day at the bank and the rascals think i nicked £360! Spent 2 hours looking for it and eventaually found it in another till! Grr! Evil or Very Mad
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Was that too pay for those mini's rob? I dont want your crime money! Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

@Darkwolf. Take it or leave it! Wink Money is money! hehehe
Flix

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2004 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

dont try to win high for every TD you make your opponent get 3 blocks

try to give your opponent only one blitz per and no blocks
give you playes Block Dodge Side Step to get a less armorrolls against you
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

well my favourite system to score with elves is to make a hole with a blitz and make 3 or 4 guys run in it and spread in the opponent zone. 2-3 guys are left to serve as intermediate players and the passer far away. Next turn, a blitz, a pass (long or to an intermediate player) and a handoff (sometimes + dodge) server to let my catchers score (works well with pro elves with nerves of steel).

Well there are some variantes and can be done everytime but these are some basics.

But anyway, elves like wide spread games and not compact meles so maybe, you shouldn't always try to get 2d-blocks. Sometime, a player left alone in 1 on 1 without block can be more interesting.
Trolleboy

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Inspirered by the Elf Mangling Union I created a team to deal with bashy teams.

It usually means playing rough - a lot of fouls and so forth. But all in all it works great so far. Elves have AG4 and can be counted on to pass and dodge better than most other teams. Therefore, as I see it, you are free to devote most of you first skills to a more "bashy" type of playing.

But as others have written. Take your good blocks, don't be afraid to foul and run if your opponent seems to batter his way through your players. Sometimes you're unlucky and take a few losses, but that's the nature of the game.

Again - fouling is part of the game. Even more so with elves, who can't be relied on to take down players on a regular basis.

My team:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=129714
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

if the elf pulls that dodgy junk, use your tackle player to blitz every turn, surround the punk, and give im the boot (at the ol +2 inj of course). Do this 6 or 7 times and a) you should be near the endzone, b) he should be down to 5-6 players, c) all his lil elfs will likely be a long ways a way from your cage... silly elf.. blood bowl is for orcs.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

wasn't the trhread about "how to play elves?"
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah but thats a silly topic.

Who the hell wants to play them? Rolling Eyes Razz