42 coaches online • Server time: 00:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gamer-man

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

i know all about 'the cage', and the one-turn/two-turn touchdown strategies on offence, but i have no idea how to run a running offence like that of the amazons or goblins, can anyone give me a sorta step by step explination of how one would work. your help would be much appreciated

thanx in advance
-GamerMan
Colin

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I could describe it, but it's a lot easier to just show you the way to a few replays. Have a look at the replays of my Amazon team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=25181

To summarise, the running offense is less rigid than the cage; one of the nicest parts about it is that if your opponent over-commits to the defence, you have the option of switching flanks and leaving him stranded. It's a lot harder with Goblins, due to their lack of muscle, though it still can work - the key to it is it's hard getting through a screen of Dodge players for any team (barring Dwarks and CDs), which is what makes Zons in particular so good early on. I would also include Norse, Humans, Necromantics and even Dark Elves/High Elves (especially early on) as teams that may use this approach to good effect. Generally, it works for any team were most of the players have Mv of about 6.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
I could describe it, but it's a lot easier to just show you the way to a few replays. Have a look at the replays of my Amazon team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=25181

I like the second half of the first match in that series, although the skaven player did some things that were a bit... questionable. It seemed their team was overcommitted to bashing instead of going for the ball, which worked in your favor. I'll try this play out some time, it looks promising.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to think of the running offense as using a screen rather than a cage. A handful of players make a rough line of tacklezones and the ballcarrier runs along the outside with the intention of keeping as many tacklezones between your opponents and your ballcarrier as possible.

Ideally, your screen should have 2 "layers." This allows your opponent to blitz any single point in the screen and you still have enough tacklezones to keep him away from your ballcarrier. This is very tough to do consistently unless you are much faster than your opponent, however. Most of the time you just have to make do with what you can.

Quick example (of the most idealized version).
Code:
________
___B____
_S__S__S
L__L__L_
________

B = ballcarrier, S = second line and L = outer line

Now if the opponent wants to blitz his way to the ballcarrier, he can pick one of the Ls and blitz him. That leaves a bunch of tacklezones in between him and the ballcarrier even if he takes the L down.

Generally, your opponent won't leave the sidelines nice and open for you like this, naturally. It's his job to be in the way. As such, the screen generally covers the front (and frequently the back as well). As you can guess, doing so means getting even more players into position and that means either
a) slowing your screen down to allow more players to get to the front or
b) not progressing as far into your opponent's half.

Ideally, you punch a hole on a sideline and stream as many guys through there as far as you can while trying to provide the optimal 2 rows of coverage. Usually you can't do it perfectly, so it's a matter of figuring out where your opponent is most likely to blitz through and trying to get coverage there. If you have enough coverage, you can leave the ballcarrier on the sidelines as well.

Worst case scenario is that you only have a single row and your opponent blitzes a whole and puts a tz on the ballcarrier. You mentioned Goblins and Zons who, conveniently, all have dodge. That means a tz on the ballcarrier is marginally less of an issue. Still a risk, but a more acceptable one.

The best part - particularly if you're using elves... DEs excel at this with 4 blitzers - is that the screen "rolls" forward. As players in the back get freed up (with a few strategically chosen blocks or especially those who were the second line that never got used and are standing around free), they can move forward to make assists and open up more space in front of you. The ballcarrier can then run up and either stay hidden or handoff to another player (who was previously a forward part of the screen).

That's the theory, at least.

Jump to: