34 coaches online • Server time: 10:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it just standard practice in Ranked for bashy teams to look for weak teams to beat up on? I really like my elves, IRL they are fun to play. However, here my woodie team gets 10 offers to play from bashy teams, usually with higher TR, for every 1 offer from a non-bashy team. My norse team, just as breaky but with block for everyone, rarely gets offers. It is very discouraging. I've already retired one woodie team after I was down to 7 players and no money, and my second woodie team looks headed for the same fate.

I really don't want to build a bashy team just to get what I consider to be fair games. I don't play them very well, and I don't enjoy playing them. I understand the whole idea of open league; I just wish I didn't get bombarded with invitations to die all the time.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to ranked

Your feelings are unusual, unfortunately what you are experiencing has become the main mindset by most gamers on this sight.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of bashy teams offer everyone in range and you only have to say no thanks. However there do seem to be some bashy teams that dont want to play other bashers and the is downright rediculous. Ive seen ogre teams that have only played elves, rats and humans (usualy against new coaches) and this is just stupid. If your going to play bashy , as i do, then you should play other bashers. On the flip side i also dont agree with elf coaches who never play anyone whos likely to beat them up scince this means they are only playing on their strengths and never their weaknesses...... but hey each to their own.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

yes so it is actually. It's a bit different in tournaments and in U. But do not see it as a problem. They only tend to try to abuse you.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

This is ranked. I get about 1 in 10 offers accepted with my teams anyway. I'm supprised people dont play your norse, they break well.

Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll play anything within reasonable TR/TS. Look me up some time

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Good for you macavity. Fumbbl needs more coaches like you.
Of course youll be cherry picked horrendously now Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

As a dwarf coach, I get frustrated in the same way...about the only offers I ever get are from other bashy teams..Orcs, Dwarves Choas, etc. I'd like to play a variety of teams..not to maim their teams, but to get experience playing against a fast team, or a dodgy team, etc. Since 90% of the elf/agility teams on fumbbl won't play a dwarf team ever, you have to offer to every one you see available..in hopes of getting a game every month or so.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind playing bashy teams... I just get tired of getting *only* bashy teams wanting to break my poor woodies.

However, if they keep blowing 2+ dodge rolls, I'm going to start calling them wood dwarfs.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

both the Cherry-picking and the extreme team preservation seems to be a product of the impersonal-ness of online play. Sure it's just a game, but why lose a team which you like to some jerk you don't even know.

It's sad but true. You get a few good rolls against someone and they think you're a jerk, or if they simply steamroll over you, you feel mistreated. It's funny. I don't think there is a way around it, however. Some clowns live in this alternate world because here they feel they are somebody.

heheheh, not me of course, I'm nobody anywhere. Wink
LordSigmund

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Cherry picking might be a product of the impersonal-ness of online play, but 'extreme' team preservation is because of the extremely extended nature of the fumbbl league, teams can play lots of games fast and never have to retire them. People want their teams to last to 250-300 TR and compete with the Anarchists or similar.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO the real problem is that Bloodbowl is not intended to be played in a free for all, team progressing environment. Ranked division, while initially fun, is not Bloodbowl. It is more a testing ground of playing styles, tactics and cherry picking ability. In R environment it does not matter how many games you loose (unless you care about your ranking) as long as your team gets better. And you can design your team to be "better" at beating certain kinds of teams and then play them exclusively.

The game and the different teams only work out fully in tournaments. Tournements that last several seasons. Tournements where you can't refuse games without consequence, where the goal of playing is always to win and where you will face a decent spread of opponent races.

So instead of playing R games, join some tournements and get the full experience instead of the pale shadow.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2005 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked is just an approximation of playing casual-ish games with your buddies with the added 'incentive' of coach ranking.
Bbowl isn't specifically a tournament game at all (see BBRC mishaps Vol XXIV - Khemri).

...but to ensure your growth as a player (and to have alot of fun), you do need to participate in some closed format tournaments.

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing part of the reason that bashy teams ask you for matches is that they get refused so much that they end up asking teams that are further away then the ones that passed on the offer to play. The simple solution for you is simply to say no if you think it's an unreasonable matchup.

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2005 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Exatcly Quota. I play a 200+ chaos team and it gets turned down probably 95% of the game requests i make (my own fault cuz of my play style). I start by asking the orc, chaos ,dwarfs teams etc.... then challenge upwards as far as is reasonable and then challenge downwards but not too far. Most people are very polite and say no thanx, some explain their reasons though i dont expect it but some people are downright rude. Lots of people ignore me (this happens at low tr too even when i offer with elves) and ive even had one coach call me a cherry picker when my chaos challenged 20points upwards against him?!?!?
I dont expect everyone to say yes because i know people get attatched to their pixles but we can at least try to be polite to each other.