35 coaches online • Server time: 03:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Will it ever return ?

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we get a discussion from the managerial crew over where the project stands and what needs to be done to get the next issue out?

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

At the moment ... 98% done. I am the only remaining staff member though since m0nty went missing, I guess, and I am awfully busy at times. I want it to get out, but I just can't give it the attention it would deserve for the time being. To illustrate - I have a degree to take care of that should be done by the end of the month, will move between countries, as well as trying to hold together a variety of projects at the same time.

I'll see. If things go well I might manage to find enough time to polish those last bits missing by the end of the month, but I just won't make any promises that I can't guarantee keeping. All it needs really is somebody with enough time to edit things. I'd have liked to tidy up the forums a bit too, and give them a little more structure - as m0nty is the one officially responsible though, I can't (i.e. not having the access).

-Mnemon
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn...all that and he still finds time to eat meals and sleep an hour or two every now and then!

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Feck yes of course I am alive, but I don't want to present some hasty slurred edit. You need somebody else if you just want a badly patched together thing that is shoved out for the hell of it.

-Mnemon
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

hey, wouldn't it be better to expand the staff of the GLN with some new people ? The current staff has kinda proven that they are not capable of normally continuing the project in their present form....

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

i dont mind doing a colum, in the case you would let me (dout it) i would actually buy a dictionary lol

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

How 'bout a "good bye to bb"-column DDF?

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2005 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that is the problem Lord_Splutticus. I asked for help once in a while, and there are people willing to write. It is by far not the problem to have people providing articles and the like. What is needed is somebody that wants devoid a lot of time editing ... and that takes a lot of commitment and time, and is not a very thankful or rewarding work really. I don't mind if anyone wants to take on that job, and I'll assist if I can - the GLN isn't my child or my exclusive Smile. But that has to be a thing somebody needs to volunteer for knowing what she/he is getting on to. I won't request anything, just put forward the state of things. We don't need _any_ further columns or articles for the current issue really - only for those in the future.

Just right now, I am not capable of getting it out in a fashion I could live with because I am rather a perfectionist in reference to anything I muddle with. At this time being I have too much at hands in getting my life into a shape and form that I want it to be - and, as much as I like the Fumbbl community, it is not the most central thing Smile.

-Mnemon
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2005 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

As it came up in the other thread - what is needed is somebody with a shitload of time and devotion at hand. That doesn't mean editing a little, or writing the one or the other article, but a person that is determined to kick people, to check spelling, to come up with ideas and guidelines for the next issue(s) and that just puts them together.

This doesn't mean a little editing, this doesn't mean a couple hours a month, but investing time and a lot of patience in that. Quite obviously I am not that person, given where we stand. I have just too many other things that interest me more, and I am getting quite radical in terms of what I use my time on and what not. Fumbbl is one of the things I don't plan to spend on much. Yes I would like to see more GLN's, in Cusi's honour, but I am not him, and there is no need to try to be like him. In short, the GLN needs an editor, full-time that absolutely wants to push this forward, and feels, similar as Cusi that to be a major part of his/her life.

As such - if any of you want to be that person and feel you are up to reviving the whole thing - step forward, anything else won't lead anywhere. It needs a fulltime commitment though.

-Mnemon
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2005 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be willing to be the manager in chief, lead psycho or whatever of the GLN, but not as it now exists.

Quite frankly, I think the web-based format of the GLN is what makes it so much work. I remember much complaining about getting things to fit and work in html environment.

If a switch to .pdf format (hosted by fumbbl) was accepted by fumbblites I would be happy to devote myself to putting out the GLN on a bi-monthly basis.

I think I have the skills and have demonstrated them. I know I am not the most popular person around here, but I am willing to discuss running herd on the GLN if the format was allowed to change.

EDIT: as an FYI, I will be online a lot between Friday and Monday, so if anyone wants to talk about this with me, find me in chat.

Cheers.

Oh.. and me getting involved with the GLN in this way would mean the death of the EMU.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2005 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
I would be willing to be the manager in chief, lead psycho or whatever of the GLN, but not as it now exists.

Quite frankly, I think the web-based format of the GLN is what makes it so much work. I remember much complaining about getting things to fit and work in html environment.

If a switch to .pdf format (hosted by fumbbl) was accepted by fumbblites I would be happy to devote myself to putting out the GLN on a bi-monthly basis.

I think I have the skills and have demonstrated them. I know I am not the most popular person around here, but I am willing to discuss running herd on the GLN if the format was allowed to change.

EDIT: as an FYI, I will be online a lot between Friday and Monday, so if anyone wants to talk about this with me, find me in chat.

Cheers.

Oh.. and me getting involved with the GLN in this way would mean the death of the EMU.

Valid points raised IMHO

Bunnypuncher for president ! (?)

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2005 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
I know I am not the most popular person around here

Hey...Editors are not meant to be popular! They are meant to be hard nosed bastards that get the job done by kicking/pursuading/bribing otheres!!

heinz wrote:
How 'bout a "good bye to bb"-column DDF?

LMAO
At least it would be a regular feature!!
"This week I will be mostly leaving Fumbbl forever because...."

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2005 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon, can you live with Bunnypuncher as editor ?
Anyone opposes Bunnypunchers' candidacy ?
Any links to the prior work of Bunnypuncher he hinted at ?

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2005 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have any objections - I know BP can write fluffy stuff and organize things, I participated in some of his tourneys Smile.

I don't really want to be the one to have the last and the only word on that though - all I want is the GLN to go on in someform.
Regarding the difference in format - only two things I can think of is that it might cause more traffic (don't know how html scales in comparison to pdf, really), and of course I don't know what the general community prefers.

-Mnemon
 Jump to: