38 coaches online • Server time: 12:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
djbigjake

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

All Team: Lavino Fighting Hellfishes

What do you have when you take the eleven best players ever to play for one of FUMBBL’s most historic teams, remove their flaws and make a roster out of the results? All Team.

DJBigJake, currently stuck in Afghanistan unable to play the game he loves, will over the next few weeks and months dissect the past and current players of some of FUMBBL’s biggest teams. He will then find the eleven best and create a legal roster out of the results. He hopes you enjoy the articles they spawn, and feel free to reply to the thread with any teams you’d like to see covered in the future.

Now, onto the Fighting Hellfishes, the human team with the most FUMBBL games under their belt. Coach JanMattys is perhaps one of the most well-known and well-liked coaches ever to grace FUMBBL, and his Hellfishes are a testament to the coach himself.

His team lives by the motto of “Only the most professional and efficient soldiers can be enlisted in the Fighting Hellfishes.
The team policy about injuries is no injuries of any kind.” As such, the fact that the Hellfishes have had any players reach the higher limits of the SPP chart is no small feat.

JanMattys has led the Hellfishes to a winning record in Ranked division, another achievement to be proud of. The fact that he has done so while also being a polite opponent puts him in the upper-crust of FUMBBL coaches. In addition to leading the Hellfishes to over four hundred games, JanMattys has also made helmets for coaches without any graphical skills who want a little spice added to their team pages.

With over 150 past and present players to choose from, finding eleven that stand out from the rest to be the Fighting Hellfishes’ All Team was no small task. Lots of deserving players did not make the cut and there will be some disagreement on the list compiled here.

Without further ado, the Lavino Fighting Hellfishes All-Team.

Linemen

Linemen are hard to skill up on a human team, not fast enough to break plays, not agile enough to be trusted with the ball, not strong enough to do real damage. Despite all of this, the Hellfishes have several gems in their history.

Marco “Catta” Bernardi
6 3 3 8
Block, Guard, Tackle, Pass Block
57 Star Player Points

One of the original fighting Hellfishes, Bernardi survived for 72 games making him the longest-living of the Hellfishes’ linemen. With the potent lineman combination of block, guard and tackle, Bernardi was a force in the trenches, the type of lineman you want soaking up and dishing out damage in the middle of the field. Throw in pass block, and Bernardi becomes a problem that throwing teams have to deal with and account for, allowing him to disrupt game plans and strategies. He is a headache on top of a solid foundation.

Dmitri “Ebeneezer” Narducci
7 3 4 8
Block, +MA, +AG, Tackle
51 Star Player Points

A dream lineman setup for any human player, Narducci transformed himself into a threat on both offense and defense. He was an elven blitzer pretending to be a human lineman and he adds flexibility to the Lavino Fighting Hellfishes All Team squad, able to hold his own in the dangerous middle while also able to make a difference anywhere else he may be needed. Speed, agility and an ability to bring down other fast and agile players: What else can you ask for from a member of your team?

Big Guy

Giving some punch to a team that could use some more, the human Big Guy plays a pivotal role of evening the odds against bashier teams and putting the hurt on faster, more agile teams. The one so chosen for this team is a credit to all things Big Guys strive to be.

Damiano “Krajaz” Krajewski
5 6 2 8
Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Bone Head, Throw Team Mate, Big Guy, +ST, Guard, Block, Multiple Block
55 Star Player Points

This is a scary Big Guy. Strength 6 makes him a very fast moving Treeman, able to take on the biggest of the big guys. Guard makes him a team asset, boosting the abilities of those around him. Multiple block makes him a nightmare to deal with, as he requires extra attention due to his size and has the ability to punish multiple players that have been sent to stop him. Add block on top of it all, and it just isn’t fair. Krajewski is solid, as reliable as an ogre can be, and dangerous. He makes an obvious choice for the lineup and gives the Hellfishes some whallop for those times when bashing is needed.

Thrower

Many fantastic throwers have graced the Hellfishes over the years, but only one made the list. The one that did is very deserving, and no player in his right mind would ever turn his skills down.

Allesandro “Powder” Mattioli
6 3 3 8
Pass, Sure Hands, Strong Arm, Accurate, Safe Throw, Block, Kick, Dodge, Dump Off
180 Star Player Points

134 completions in 102 games, Mattioli was a rock in the Hellfishes’ lineup. His list of offensive-related skills is impressive. Strong Arm, Accurate, Safe Throw and Dump Off makes for a thrower capable of reaching any target that needs to be reached, and doing so safely. The ability to strike deep while also being able to defend the ball makes Mattioli a very efficient force when on the offensive. That alone would get him on the team, but this legend also boasts block, dodge and kick. He is survivable and more than capable of contributing to the defensive side of the ball. He is what every coach dreams his thrower could be.

Catchers

The Human catchers have a rough life, being not only weak but also weakly armored. Combined with the scoring threat they present on offense, and a Human catcher can expect a short, spectacular career. Those who survive for long times become something special, and the most special of the Hellfishes long line of catchers are listed here. This portion was doubly difficult due to JanMatty’s loyalty to player names as well as the team they play for. As such, only one player from each catcher name was listed here, making this the most dodgy, debatable section of the Hellfishes All Team.

Francesco “French” Lolli
8 2 4 7
Catch, Dodge, Block, +AG, Dauntless, Side Step, Leap
108 Star Player Points

Lolli has, in some ways, become the prototype for all current Hellfish catchers. His mixture of Block, Dodge and Dauntless makes him able to contribute on defense, something that has become the trend of the Hellfish catchers that followed him. Side Step makes him a pain to remove from tackle zones or the pitch. And the agility increase and leap gives him the final parts that earn him this spot on the list. He is a reliable catcher able to bypass defensive walls between him and the end zone, able to produce big plays when needed.

Giacomo “Pirco” Barbieri
10 2 3 7
Catch, Dodge, Block, Side Step, +MA, +MA, Shadowing
119 Star Player Points

Barbierri and Lolli are both lucky gems, having survived to gain an incredible amount of Star Player Points while toting easy to break armor and big targets on their backs. For Barbieri, the case is pretty easy and self-explanatory. Ten movement makes him a threat to score from anywhere. Ten movement combined with Side Step, Block and Dodge makes him a pain to remove from tackle zones. He is more than able to contribute on the offensive side of the pitch, and more than able to hold his own on defense as well. This stability combined with big play capabilities makes him a worthy player on any team, especially an All Team toting a thrower such as Mattioli. With some pushes Barbieri can score in one turn. With some luck, he can harass a ball carrier or a cage for lots of turns. Not a fun combination to deal with.

Claudio “Clazzo” Cammarano
8 2 3 7
Catch, Dodge, Block, Side Step, Diving Tackle, Sure Feet, Dauntless, Pass Block
127 Star Player Points

It is very easy when doing something like this to focus primarily on the players lucky enough to get stat bonuses to boost their performance. But there is something to be said of the players that achieve greatness without stat increases, using the abilities that they were born with to do great things. Cammarano is such a player, and his impressive list of skills makes him a scary man, sans any boosts to agility, movement or strength. He is a catcher primarily focused on defense, and on defense he excels. Hard to remove from tackle zones, hard to knock down, hard to escape from and an ability to cut passing games off for half the field, Cammarano more than makes up for his pathetic Strength of two with an assortment of annoyances that cannot be overlooked.

Blitzers

The Hellfishes have had their fair share of amazing players in their 400-plus players, but when it comes to blitzers the team has truly shined. If six Blitzers were legal, this team would most likely field six, but as it is, finding only four of them to represent the Hellfishes All Team was not an easy task.

Alberto “Schummi” Girotti
9 3 3 8
Block, Guard, Tackle, +MA, Mighty Blow, +MA, Stand Firm
134 Star Player Points

Faster than a catcher. Chock full of skills to devastate an opposing team. The ability to become a disruption. The ability to aid other players. Schummi has it all, and becomes a fixture on both sides of the ball. No one has ever dreaded a mobile player, and a mobile contributor of this caliber has to be reckoned with every action taken by an opponent. And that, in itself, is an ability beyond measure for a coach to wield.

Stefano “Sergio 2.0” Marchesini
7 4 3 8
Block, Guard, +ST, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Shadowing, Strip Ball, Pro
181 Star Player Points

He started as a standard human blitzer, picking up Guard as his first skill. Then he transformed into a monster and never looked back. Strength 4 increases his offensive uses, as he is more survivable against the standard Strength 3 player and able to plow forward with some immunity. Add Tackle and Mighty Blow, and suddenly he is a terror, able to hit hard alone or with a group. He is a giant beacon of hope for the rest of the team, an anchor that can be rallied around, and he must have been a very difficult player to retire. When he retired, he was the biggest Star in Hellfishes history. He still holds that title, and is a very easy choice for the All Team roster.

Luca “Lkp” Parini
7 3 4 8
Block, Guard, Tackle, Mighty Blow, +AG, Stand Firm, Shadowing
126 Star Player Points

Agility 4 and Stand Firm lead to a defensive player able to take the big chances that can sometimes pay big dividends without the risks involved. He cannot be ignored, but he is very difficult to plan for. As an opponent, you hope he fails. But even if he does, you still have to find a way to remove him. And if he succeeds, he’ll not just hit the carrier, he’ll hit hard and he’ll be able to move for the ball without fear. Combined with the other blitzers that grace this list, and you have one big problem when they surround your cage.

Sergio “Sergio 1.0” Marchesini
7 3 3 8
Block, Guard, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Shadowing
76 Star Player Points

Sergio is the standard that all Hellfish blitzers become, only he survived long enough to fully mature. There are three or four players toting this setup in the Hellfish history books, but since Sergio has a different name, he makes it in. Many human players could learn from this choice of skills progression for their blitzers, it creates a dynamic, high impact player who also happens to be extremely solid.

And there you have it, the Lavino Fighting Hellfishes All Team roster, a roster that creates a solid team capable of just about anything.

Team Rating

(Current Fan Factor, Apothecary Status and Re-Rolls will be used to help determine Team Rating.)

Re-Rolls: 25
Fan Factor: 20
Apothecary: 5
Linemen base cost: 10
Big Guy base cost: 12
Thrower base cost: 7
Catchers base cost: 21
Blitzers base cost: 36
Star Player Points: 303
TOTAL TEAM RATING: 439

Next time, DJBigJake will tackle perhaps the most famous Skaven team ever to grace FUMBBL, a team that played through tremendous odds and redefined the uses of the gutter runner in its long and storied history.

Last edited by djbigjake on %b %22, %2006 - %20:%Nov; edited 2 times in total
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Under Linemen, I think you're overlooking the current Andrea "Teddy" Giorgini.

I'd rather have his Dodge than your choice's Pass Block, tbh.

Edit: Having Andrea would also give the team a Kicker, of course.

Wait, the Thrower has Kick too … Kick on Throwers: Jan is crazy. Wink
pluto670

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

A great and interesting read, thanks for putting in the time and effort for that (im a big fan of the Hellfishes
Looking forward to the next one
jim

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice effort, made for a good read. We all love the Hellfishes! (I think everyone does)

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Wow... This was nice to read Very Happy

I really really need to play my Hellfishes again (it's been quite a while since my last game on Fumbbl due to RL).

It's nice to see how many players my team developed.

I just think you should add two players:

1- My current Blodge-Guard lino. He's probably the greatest asset of the team at the moment, and he's really invaluable.

2- This guy, who was an AG4 MA10. Not as many spps as the catchers you choose, but I think he was the most useful catcher I ever had. A fast gutter runner on a human team? W00t? Plus, he deserved the coolest Medal of Honor of the 4 I awarder in my Team history. (look at the replay, it's hilarious Laughing)

As for kick on the thrower... What else could I take? I despise DumpOff on an AG3 thrower, and I didn't want to take tackle because I didn't plan to put him next to ANYBODY Very Happy. Kick gave me a nice tradeoff: I lacked a kicker at the time, and I wanted a player I could be sure to put deep in my field and not on LoS (nor on the sides) no matter what. To be honest, past block-accurate-safethrow and maybe tackle I would pick kick on a regular thrower as well.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %22, %2006 - %13:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
As for kick on the thrower... What else could I take?

Hehehe - just teasing. Wink

djbigjake: If you do another of these, and would like it to be included in the GLN itself, you could send it to Mezir rather than posting it here. Your post would be good material for the GLN, but it prefers to publish things which haven't appeared anywhere before.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to thank djbigjake for his nice effort Very Happy

May I suggest Weapon Masters next?
That's a team I respect A LOT.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

djbigjake wrote:
Stefano “Sergio 2.0” Marchesini
7 4 3 8
Block, Guard, +ST, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Shadowing, Strip Ball, Pro
181 Star Player Points

He started as a standard human blitzer, picking up Guard as his first skill. Then he transformed into a monster and never looked back. Strength 4 increases his offensive uses, as he is more survivable against the standard Strength 3 player and able to plow forward with some immunity. Add Tackle and Mighty Blow, and suddenly he is a terror, able to hit hard alone or with a group. He is a giant beacon of hope for the rest of the team, an anchor that can be rallied around, and he must have been a very difficult player to retire. When he retired, he was the biggest Star in Hellfishes history. He still holds that title, and is a very easy choice for the All Team roster.

Just wanted to add one little line for this fella: please note that he was awarded all kind of medals except the Purple Heart. Infact, he never got injured past SI mng. No one was *ever* able to score a -stat or a Rip on him in his 87 games long front-line career. Only ageing stopped his marvelous career, and did so only at Legend Status.

Crying or Very sad
I still miss the dude.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, the catchers were the hardest section to do. I really could have done them all with versions of Francesco "French" Lolli alone. The only reason I didn't pick the gutter runner version was that he was so similar to "Pirco" Barbieri, and I wanted some variety.

As for adding the current lineman, I made a vow to myself not to go back and change the list once it was done. Part of the reason to do things like this is to get people to talk about teams and to discuss who they would have selected. I in no way claim that my list is the best one possible, it is just my choices.

Having said that, I was going to pick one of the active linemen for the team, merely because SOMEONE from the active team really should make the list barring the team being in a rebuilding phase. For the life of me, I don't know why I didn't.

The Weapon Masters are next, I have the same respect for them you do, and they are the team eluded to in the last paragraph.

Beyond the Weapon Masters I have no plans for future choices, I'll do a special one for the Nadorins if they win their second straight FUMBBL Cup. I was going to do one for whatever team won the Cup, but since most of them have less that 50 games under their belt, that will probably be impossible.

Please throw some names out.

And I'll mail it to Mezir in the future. Thanks for the head's up.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I wish one of my teams was famous enough for this.... oh well, still cool!

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Fame isn't the only factor I'll take into consideration, and since you've been a great addition to the Forums and FUMBBL community, Macavity, please know that I was already thinking of looking your way. I plan to do quite a few of these, so don't cry yet. There is always hope.

And if you feel none of your teams have enough games under their belt to qualify, get out there and play!
djbigjake

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hooray for double posting!

Last edited by djbigjake on %b %22, %2006 - %20:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Synn

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely incredible. For reference (and for blatant ease)..... may i reccomend the following:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=3298

These teams created All-Star teams and most of them are linked to the main roster. As a result, it is fairly easy to see which players the coach chose.

Weapon Masters are included. Very Happy

___Synn
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Mac - I wish any of my teams had 11 players you'd want to field!
Synn

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2006 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW.....

I am sure Jan is happy to see he was included in his own team. Very Happy

As for future teams.... Weapon Masters, Razhgul's Judgement, and Sleepers in Metropolis.

__Synn
 Jump to: