73 coaches online • Server time: 20:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GingerBreadMan

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Is ranked always this hard to find games in that are fair?

Only a while ago I had a real good offer rejected (dwarves with less TR and but 4 more in ST vs humans) because my opponent wanted an EASIER opponent. Not an easier match up - an easier opponent. His words not mine.

Now I am beginning to understand what this cherry-picking is here. I have looked at a lot of coaches with high ranking and see they have played many noobs like me (only thing is I aint a push over).

Just thought I would open up a thread and see the response - I know there have been similar ones before - but I find it amazing.
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you have the dwarfteam or the humansteam (im thick, i know)? For me personally, i dont really wanna play dwarfs unless i have a team that can match it, if not in bashing, then at least be able to run out of harms way Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

SergeiBautin - I understand that many dont like dwarves. But he wanted an easier OPPONENT - not team.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I only look at TR/TS differences . I never look at the coach rating of my opponent.

May I add that playing against a noob is less fun than playing against a good coach? Yeah, against the new coaches you usually rack up a lot of Spps, but no challenge= no fun.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Jan Mattys but I do on occasion play noobs just to give them a few pointers on good strats and dos/don´ts.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I did it once with another italian player. He came in chat asking for a "learning game", so I played him with a TR 100 team and spent all the time giving him advices and explaining why I did what I did with my players. After that I redirected him to the fumbbl academy and to a page where I listed 20 good advices for all coaches.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, to some of us english isnt our primary language, so maybe (I wouldnt know for sure) he just meant an easier game (as in easier team)...
Your team could be considered the opponent he was facing Wink
Mentok

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, apart from that example, there definitely are many coaches with high or comparably high ranking who didnt really deserve it. I happen to play ppl with coach ranking around 160, look forward to a challenging game and realise in game that many of em play far worse than I do. Those guys are the ones who pick n00bs, hammer them and thereby increase their ranking.
And I fully agree with JanMattys, it's way more fun to play a skilled coach in a demanding game than just getting an easy win. But OK, what can U do? If ppl like to appear better than they are. Very well...
That makes me play whoever comes, not dropping games where the opponent might be better than I am. Check the team, don't check the coach.

Greetz
Mentok

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I do the same when i get a challenge, look at TR/TS, but also look at the team to see if its a well matched team. 2 DP´s on your team? No thx! Sure, sometimes i have also challenged a team without a lot of TAckle with my Amazons, but the strength is always comparable.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody wants to play against dwarves. I know, I have a dwarf team. Whenever I put my humans up on gamefinder I immediately get messages from people wanting to play them. Thus you could make a team that people want to play against or be more patient.

EDIT: I just checked and your two developed teams are Orcs and Dwarves. I think that's the problem with finding games. Orcs and Dwarves are the bashest in the game. (Khemri are really bashy but they do have those AV 7 skels)
GingerBreadMan

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDrink - I know what you are saying. However, when I look at some of the "better" coaches - and see their past matches, on many it shows that they play coaches of lower ranking and teams that are easy to beat. It is a farce. I played against the number 3 coach AngelFace - and pulled of a draw. Now that guy I will admit played well and knew his game. But many others I have watched and looked at are just plain and simple - looking for an easy win.
I reckon I will make an easier team - it will not alter the fact that a lot of high ranked coaches are crap and just play the easy version. Think I may go to Unranked - after reading other forums it does look like (R) has problems.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

R has no problems. Most coaches in R have. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

tbh most coaches are picky in any division, and especialy as dwarves were involved, which most consider a very boring team to play against.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

You should be more like me, play really badly for your first 10-15 games that way nearly everyone will have a higher rating than you, then it makes no difference Very Happy

Seriously though, I guess I'm pretty much like most of the people who replied here. I don't actively go seeking those people with a higher/lower rating than me, I pick games by looking at the teams on offer and try to pick one that's as close as possible to my teams.

Amazing Races New Division. One race to win it all.
GingerBreadMan

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats what i would do. But I would liek to play someone better than me - to learn. It is good to see some smart ass pulling of things you would not think of. You really learn form it.
 Jump to: