18 coaches online • Server time: 03:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xen7ric

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm new to FUMBBL but played the board game quite alot and I've been wondering about this.

I know Dwarfs can be frustrating to play against, lots of players with Block, slow, grindy game almost guarenteed but I still don't get why people seem to hate playing them so much. They're so slow that you will probably scaore against them and you should be able to stop them ever scoring more than 1 against you, that makes for a 1 - 1 draw or win for you?

It may just be that the Dwarf games that I've played have always been un-developed teams and therefore I havn't seen the full mind-numbing dullness that is an advanced Dwarf team...

I always found that in the 100 - 150 team rating range Orcs and Undead are the teams that cause most injuries (our undead player was both lucky and evil).
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

dwarves

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Because the nature of an open league is team development and fun. The reward/risk ratio of playing dwarves just is not worth it for a lot of teams.

Yes you might dodge your elves to a 3-1 victory, but the price could easily be 2-3 permanent injuries/deaths. Why do that when you can easily find an exiting high scoring elfbowl match with little risk of injuries.

That combined with the boring slow cage play just does not makes games vs. dwarves very attractive IMO.
Zippy_Wonderdog

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard, dwarves get it really easy, I think almost all of their players can and that makes it really frustrating and difficult to block them.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard.
Thick skull.
Block from the beginning.

Apart from that:

if your opponent is a runner: he scores in turn 2. You score back in turn eight. Then you take the whole second half to score, caging and stalling. That's 2-1 for the dwarfs. 2-2 if the opponent has a one-turner.

If your opponent is a basher: 1-0 first half, 1-1 second half.

All this assuming both coaches do not make stupid mistakes or play bad.

...in both cases, ppl find a little frustrating playing against dwarfs.

That's why. Very Happy

note: the post above is not in any way related to the real feelings and thoughts of the person who happened to be near the keyboard when the post itself was typed.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

too much guard

i used to have a dwarf team.....decided on retiring them when i coudln't get any games
xen7ric

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Must admit I wasn't thinking about guard.

Glad to know I hadn't missed anthing huge though, general consensus seems to be that they are really boring to play against.

Surely they suffer from a lack of team development and would be boring to play as well though? sooo slow that until you can get mighty blow almost all of your SPP's are from lucky injuries or MVP's
heinz

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

dwarfs are fat!

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of people are too scared to play them , look out for E.L.F teams , a lot of people aren't that good either so cant ever break a cage
ChipUK

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I HATE DWARFS!!

Thats reason enough but yes I agree with the Guard/tackle while moving cage 1 square forward per turn thing which drives me nuts.
Chestar

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Most dwarf coaches tend to take the entire half to score, stalling anywhere from 2-5 turns if needed. Kinda annoying, since their guard makes sure you don't get the ball.
Zweiblumen

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The question is how do you know that dwarf coaches stall the whole game, when you didn't play them. Shocked

But i agree, sometimes this slow advancing guard hord is a little bit dull.

Recordopedia Spluttanica
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I notice a lot of people who complains nobody will play their dwarfs wont play against dwarfs with their other teams , which is strange
hugoeng

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

the biggest problem playing dwarfes (or any bashy team) in ranked is that winning isnt that important. As long as your FF dont drop and you get some SPPs your all happy. Personally I think Tournaments are the way Bloodbowl should be played, but if you go for ranked then expect turndowns if you play bashy teams.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2005 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

hugoeng wrote:
the biggest problem playing dwarfes (or any bashy team) in ranked is that winning isnt that important. As long as your FF dont drop and you get some SPPs your all happy. Personally I think Tournaments are the way Bloodbowl should be played, but if you go for ranked then expect turndowns if you play bashy teams.

Well stated hugoeng, which is why Ranked Division is a travesty. How can Coach Rating be calculated accurately in Ranked with such lame ideology dominanting most coaches there? I agree that you state accurately the mentality toward the outcome of Ranked, but it is sad...

I must say, it is also why the MU's are funny. Coaches that focus so much on Coach Rating and will avoid playing a specific race, need to be harshly reminded that this is a game.

The same whiners that complained the MU's were picking on elves still railed at the existence of MU's when they switched to Dwarves...why?
 Jump to: