43 coaches online • Server time: 10:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I play dwarves to win?

And I play my dwarves as a passing team so far...but then, I am insane.
And had the luck to get a Ag5 runner.

About all guard teams...I have seen more chaos/orc teams with 10 guard than dwarf actually, but maybe that's because there are more of those teams anyway...

I am trying to take only a few guard now so that people will play my dwarves, but it makes them vulnerable to the other bashy teams.

Anyway. It is possible to dwarves in a fun way.
I've grown fond of rushing runner/blitzer up one end only to throw the pass to longbeards on the other side.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, they have a boatload of skills to start with and the best overall armor in the game, but contrary to what Gerbil says the lack of agility and speed hurts. You whack the runners and Dwarves are toast. And they may be 1MA slower than a Chaos Warrior, but ST4/AG3/ability to mutate obviously makes a CW a better player. And Chaos is ALL AG3.

Dwarves are and will always be my favorite team. I've been playing them for years and years and I consider myself a decent Dwarf coach. But I'm barely .500 vs. Chaos. At a certain point Dwarves they plateau. From rookie to around 180TR they can beat just about anyone. (casualties not withstanding.) At 200+TR Chaos, Orcs, and (cheesy) Chaos Dwarves take over. Guard is cool, but ST4 and Guard is better. ST4 with Guard and a Big Guy is better still. Dwarves just start faster and don't get hurt as much.

In MY opinion, it's Chaos that people should hate to play, not Dwarves. Horns and mutations everywhere, a Big Dude, ST4, AND access to all the skills/traits that Dwarves can get. Orcs are almost as bad.

So enough of the Dwarf bashing. If the coach playing them isn't a staller from Hell you're almost guaranteed 2 TDs. Give us our casualties and call it a draw. hehe
monboesen

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

almost guaranteed 2 TDs. Give us our casualties and call it a draw

Its not. And thats one of the reasons dwarves don't get many games. Often you will be better of losing the game but not getting any players injured. At least when you are concerned about team building and i R, I, at least, am.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

*cough* DMU *cough*
sry just clearing my throat..... my my my... will you look at that lovly little link down there.
theres a free "i played dwarfs and all i got was this bearded mug" t-shirt for every new application.....

*disclaimer: when i say "free".... i mean if you make it yourself.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, My dwarves LOVE the DMU. They won 3-1 once, which wasn't boring, and they will play DPs, RSC, whatever. Come find me!

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

*paulhicks goes to find macavity (again)

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a pretty good dwarf team. I was lucky with getting a few stats increases and a wack of speed. I did not load up on guard, but took skills like surehands, kick, dirty player etc. I built my dwarves to score if down by 1 or 2 touchdowns. I often get out guarded by chaos, orc and other dwarf teams. However, my team can move and use its speed as an advantage. I can kick the ball and foul if needed. Overall it is my favorite team to use. I do not play against other dwarves b/c those games turn into midfield mud fights.

Why anyone would want to load up on guard and mb is beyond me. Makes them too one dimensional. I want to play against teams that are balanced and show me tactics Ive never seem before.

Dwarves get hurt too, ask Kenty who tore a strip off mine. My cas difference is not that great and is less than my td difference. Of course, I used to have a 8ma 4ag runner Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

My ranked dwarves used to be my pride and joy, going their first seven or eight matches before conceding a single score, through smart placement of players, skills like stripball instead of mb, accurate/pass, etc. Yes, I went guard all-around, and that's probably why when I got close to tr 200 I couldn't get a game in with them. Even when I challenged UP in TR/TS by close to 40 pts each against chaos/orc teams, they refused to play me. So I had to shift to unranked, use them in tournaments where other teams can't avoid me. Means at least a few games every couple months, but is still a semi-retirement as I don't get to play tournament games too often each week.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

6 foot, - you don't have to maim just the runners to kill a dwarf team, the blitzers have move 5 agi 3, AND av9, not to mention thick skull, which even the runners have. So the lack of agility doesn't really hurt a dwarf team much, as
a.) they have plenty of guys with agility3
b.) its hard to remove those guys with agi3 because of high armor and thick skull
c.) they have the best defensive players in the game to guard them.
d.) even if something goes wrong, their rerolls are the cheapest in the game.

you can try to maim the runners and blitzers all you want, but no decent dwarf player will willingly let you simply maim the runners (good luck anyways with their thick skull and decent armor), since they can easily hide them under a boatload of longbeards with high armor and the most skills in the game.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Paul is my Hero. I love Paul. I'm going to mash his team into the ground one of these times. Wink

DeathGerbil, 4 guys with AG 3 really isn't "lots" and though I hate to do it, compared to Chaos.... All AG 3 and all have Stregth access, and more movement, and STR 4 guys, and physical access...... AV 9 isn't all that scary.

Last edited by Macavity on %b %19, %2005 - %22:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
SixFootDwarf

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Making Dwarves shifty just means you're gonna get out-bashed by bashers and out-scored by scorers. That means losses. Don't try to turn a mule into a race horse. You'll get a crappy mule and a piss-poor race horse.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats just it. We are not suggesting that dwarves should be changed. They are probably allright in league play (though in the only longterm league I play in dwarves have won 4 out of 7 seasons). But just very unattractive opponents in R games.
Uber

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I just hope the BBRC would wake up and nerf those annoying dwarves. I think the most reasonable solution would be to limit them to 4-6 longbeards and introduce a weaker form of dwarf as lineman. The longbeards are just too strong as standard linemen, it's as simple as that. They also need to pay more for their re-rolls.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Sixfoot, play my shift dwarves. MY team is the hybrid cross of a sprint horse and a clydesdale, strong and fast!

Being TOO one dimensional, means losses as well as being flimsy and try to build a dwarf team to score/pass.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2005 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

and dwarves dont even have an ogre anymore! Noobs Wink
 Jump to: