39 coaches online • Server time: 09:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on the game. Not enough to prevent me from making a couple of boneheaded plays every game, but enough to keep me from feeling like a six-year-old at a Russian chess championship. Smile

The thing I'm still struggling with is how the best players seem to be able to corral their SPP. It's freaky! I try to pay attention to my players' SPP now and put them in positions to gain if it means going up a level, then pay more attention to undeveloped players when all players are "in between" stages, but things just don't seem to ... work out.

Players with more SPP just seem to attract points galore, because obviously they have the skills to succeed in the things that net them points. Unskilled players invariably wind up being fodder or just shoving people around the pitch and dropping the ball.

If anyone has any clear pointers on SPP management, I'd love to hear 'em!

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Always try to get every player at least 1 point. (a late pass even in a losing game for example) That way if they get a MVP they have a skill. After that just keep at it. Always know who need 1-2-3 pts for a level up and give them a chance..if they don't take it oh well. And use your "skiled" players as decoys sometimes while the newbie sneaks in the TD Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The mose important thing imho to getting a good spread of ssp is your original team set up. It obviously isn't going to work for some teams, but if you can start with as few positionals as possible then it forces you to score touchdowns with your least effective players allowing you to level them up before the arival of more td orientated players. For example I start every elven team with all linemen regardless, i even risked it with pro elves and it seems to be panning out okay. This approach should give you a decent amount of rerolls to go on so winning won't be impossable.

Also with score machienes such as Gutters, give them defensive skills such as pass block and shadowing as they can score on the back of their stats alone, this will prevent you on relying on one GR for your scoring etc.

Just a couple of ideas for you, don't know what other peoples opinions on the mater are?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It mostly depends on your play style and race.

with Elven teams and skaven teams it's VERY important to spread spps. This might be done by giving the ball to the right player from the start (ie touchbacks, or picking up with AG4) and by protecting him. Note that if you threaten your opponent by putting your runners in a receiving position, its very likely that they will be the first to be blocked. This means that you can use your top players as a decoy, while preparing for a run with someone else.
also try to give AT LEAST 1 spp to everybody. a 1 spp lino is a good thing: with an MVP he reaches 6spps and gets his first skill. So try to pass or make a cas with every lino as soon as possible. It helps you to reach at least "block", which is what you usually really need.

As for bashers... well... If you are good at setting up a cage, that is the perfect way to let you decide who will score. Just put him in a cage and move on. Very Happy

I usually try to use my positionals as blitzers or assistants, using them at their full potential only if it is neccessary to win the game. I strongly believe that skilled linos do make the difference, and that a full team at 16spps is far superior to a team with 4 mega stars and nothing else.

Try to plan your moves. A blodge leaping runner can easily score without help, but non-positional players need the full team to support them in their attempt to reach the End zone.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This is true for all except zombies. They are just cannon fodder, and so thy should be considered. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I saw a Necro team with a bunch of zombies with Guard the other day. It was actually kind of impressive.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats probably the only area of SPP development that confuses me actually.

Just how the hell do you skill up those real trouble players?

Longbeards tend to skill at a reasonable pace due to ST access.
Zombies on the other hand are real pains (despite a nearly identical statline). Ok, so you can score the occasional TD with them. Its hardly reliable though.
The other question of course is: Do you even need to?
I'd fundamentally question whether zombies need another skill beyond block/dp. Although additional skills (namely tackle and pro would be helpull) (also for the increased chance of a double).
Anyone got and zombie scoring tips beside foul the opposing coach off the field?

As for other players: If its got AG3 and dosen't take all week to get to the endzone then you should probably skill it up.

P.S If your playing an elven team, and your on the offence then you may as well just pick a player to give 3spps to.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

With my Elf teams I took to passing the ball from 1 square when it was safe. A hand-off is just a waste of an SPP and as long as you've moved everyone else and your opponent can't get to the ball then you'll always have the chance to pick up on a 2+ next turn even if things go wrong..

Usually the rule is, play elves, since any of them can dodge and catch then any can score. Easily the easyiest team to spread it around with. It's the slow and/or low AG teams that I've always sufferred with.
nickb2612

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

It's always gonna be difficult with some of the slower less agile teams but the important thing to do is spread your ssps around with you possitionals, it's always tempting to take the easy route and score with your best player but try to come up with a plan and stick to it. Storm vermin are a good example, they're ag3 ma7 so they are a very viable option for scoring. Instead of using you Gutters for a 2-turner use them to fustrate, distract and tie up your opponent whilst you get a nice little half skaven cage going.

Like inquisitorpustus said, levelling up zombies is gonna be nigh on impossable and beyond their first skill pretty pointless as your only gonna be feeding them to BGs and scary clawed players anyway. Just concentrate on getting those Wights some tds instead of letting your wolves and gouls run off with the ball!

If nothing else it will teach you to survive when all your scoring players are in the cas box!
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

aye i had 3 woodie linos with guard one time... 2 died <sob>
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I had three woodie linos. Two died.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, i had 3 WE linos with guard but I retired that team in an unfortunate bout of 'fumbbl rage' when I had a bad match combined with two skill rolls that ended in nigles! I can be a wee bit rash sometimes!
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I love my woodie lineo's with guard.

To spread my spp about I haven't even got catchers yet on my woodelf team, I only even bought a thrower at tr 190, as i was enjoying making completions with anyone until then. Now i have the sort of linemen I want I am saving up for catchers.
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I can only speak of elves for thats pretty much all I play. That being said keep the golden rule: As long as you have a RR, pass EVERY turn.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

That's not the golden rule. The Golden Rule is "roll as few dice as possible". Wasting your RR on unnecessary passes is going to hurt you in the second part of the half.

That being said, be sure to pass with those "1 SPP to a skill" guys. Otherwise, leave it until they get to that point.