42 coaches online • Server time: 18:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is that with elfs you usually have FEW rerolls.

I am no "elf only" coach, but I think that the "make a pass every turn" is wrong. Yes, you can make 5 completions every game, and that's spps, but that's no reliable tactic to WIN games. Games can be won if you keep the ball from falling, right?

I think sheperd needed some tips about "how to develop your non positional players from 0 to (say) 16 spps... And that usually means at TRs between 100 and 160.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir is right. nuff said Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

One important rule I now stick to is never mess around when you dont have to , making a pass , just for the spps can go wrong and should only be done if regardless of where the ball ends up it isnt going to lose you the ball . I used to get to concerned that my players werent balancing and try to get everybody there first skill but its more important to win games than get your spps in the right place . In time someone will put the boot in on the spp hogs anyway and youll need to buy an 0spp one anyway .

In ranked team development doesnt really matter anyway , if you have lots of unskilled players you can easily find games .
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't mess around with silly passing game stuff until you are up 2-0. That and the winning TD is no time to be messing around with an Ag 2 player. Once you got a 2 TD lead, then you can do silly things.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to keep away from elven throwers, just because I want others to gain occassional spp for comp, and he really isn't needed so much until higher TR.

Blitzers on the other hand I always start with. Elven ones as well as others.
origami

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
That's not the golden rule. The Golden Rule is "roll as few dice as possible". Wasting your RR on unnecessary passes is going to hurt you in the second part of the half.

That being said, be sure to pass with those "1 SPP to a skill" guys. Otherwise, leave it until they get to that point.

Absolutely. Anything that you do to spread SPP around that involves rolling dice has a chance to fail. If you do it at the wrong time - like the start of a drive - it could cost you the game. If you care more about team growth than winning, that's fine. However, elves in general are more fun at lower TR where the strength teams aren't nearly as devastating as they are at high TR. Therefore, I wouldn't be in any terrible hurry to boost the number of SPP that you are getting by tossing the football around unnecessarily.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The real fun comes in when you purchase a new player at high TR, then you have to figure out how to get a rookie his first skill while everybody around him has multiple, including the enemy trying to keep him from the endzone. Times like this I will put winning the game on hold while I try to get that rookie two scores for a skill asap, as he'll be a liability until then. Ideally, he'll get two scores that first game, preferably the first two drives, then I can concentrate again on winning. In the meantime, just have to hope he doesn't get seriously injured on the LOS.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
The real fun comes in when you purchase a new player at high TR, then you have to figure out how to get a rookie his first skill while everybody around him has multiple, including the enemy trying to keep him from the endzone. Times like this I will put winning the game on hold while I try to get that rookie two scores for a skill asap, as he'll be a liability until then. Ideally, he'll get two scores that first game, preferably the first two drives, then I can concentrate again on winning. In the meantime, just have to hope he doesn't get seriously injured on the LOS.

I prefer to let the players earn their spps ,they have to work their way up on their own merits no free rides , especially for linos , usually the very good players that cost 100k+ have no problems picking up the spps , any lower than that and their on the L.O.S to earn their points , I ll give anybody on the 5spps a chance at a throw come the end of the game if it aint going to be costly ,

In league play its different to ranked (although some people seem more intrested in TeamDevelopment ratther than TouchDowns ) and whoring the spps onto pl;ayers is more important than in ranked (were you always play teams of your own choosing , so it doesnt matter what TR your at )
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I started off with 1 mummy, two ghouls and two wights.... and zombies... my ghouls have a tendency to die quickly, but reaching that first roll hasn't been a problem (until I started making zombies, who now get no field time). I actually had one with guard and block but he died last game. I just hit people and scored once or twice....
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=133365

BTW, this is a reference to the zombie (problem) above. Zombies last forever (AV 8 and Regen), so I don't see how they can avoid picking up some SPP eventually.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

well, if you kill off most of your opponent's players its really easy to score lots of spps with new players Smile if all goes well, by the 2nd half, if you keep a dirty player and a powerful hitter near your ball carrier, they'll do their best to stay far away Smile
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

(note... to... self:... do... not... play... deathgerbil...)

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

With Undead/Vamps/Khemri/Necromantics fouling your opponent into oblivion is the only way I can currently see to get exp on the troublesome players.

Undead --> evil

Zombies do pick up exp eventually but it takes a few MVPs and the occasional rare cas. Not very reliable.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

How rare are CAS? Zombies are up on the line hitting people as often as anyone, aren't they? I admit they won't sore like a Bull od a human thrower, but getting that first roll isn't too hard... just hit a few elves and rats Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh I never seem to get enough cas on the stinking flesh sacks (possibly because elves and rats run a mile).

Another problem is the nice free zombies. You can't bring yourself to sack 'em and it dosen't exactly help concentrate the experience.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a Flesh Golem that took ages to level up , he would hardly ever get a casualty and his counterpart on the team had scored 11 casualties by the time he eventually got skilled .
Sometimes it just wont happen no matter how hard you try to force these things .
Amusingly though the 3 casualties he did kill were 2 RIPs for new zombies and a niggling injury on a beast of nurgle (killed the team ) . And the other guy whod picked up loads of casualties nearly always just did BHs or mnm
 Jump to: