46 coaches online • Server time: 16:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Having played a few games here, I've noticed that the consensus is to put no more than three players on the LOS when you're kicking. The reason for that being simple: you don't want to give away free blocks. The lineup for those three players though are very diferent from coach to coach.

Some coaches put skill-less players on the scrimmage, some put highly skilled blodgers there, and some start out with their big guy on the line.

My question is, how do you do it, and why?

Myself, I put two of my linos (usually the injured ones) on the line, and my big guy. The linos I don't care much about anyway, and the big guy can handle himself most of the time. I just came to realize though, that it just makes it easier for him to get fouled off the pitch.

So... what would Brian Boitano do?
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of the time, skilless linos.

If not facing tackle blodge goes there.
If not facing bashers, sidestep goes there (or anytime, but I'd rather not lose them to that claw/tackle/piling on warrior there).

If you have more players and more guard, vs not-too-fast teams, go all in on the LoS.

Zombies are my favourite scrimmage players.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it depends who and what you are playing against , dwarfs there aint no point putting your dodges up there , versus elves it may be a worthwhile to have some good players up there .

I sometimes adopt a two players behind the los as people sometimes follow up onto these guys

0x0

so when they follow through you can hit them on your turn with some extra punch , this will also protect the front line from being swarmed and stomped
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on the team I am facing and the team I am playing against.

With orcs (about 3/4 of my games in the last 6 months) I pretty much universally will do what you do above, or vs a DP, I'll run 3 linos out with the Troll 1 square back.

Then I stack the wings with BOBs (yes they are slow, but 4 mv is better than 0 mv which they will have if they are line fodder). This forces my opponent to either push the middle (where my blitzers are) or jam himself low and have to deal with 2 black orcs and blitzer support. Works real well, and few opponents score more than once (mind you, most never get the ball more than once either). Either way I like having my money players free of the LOS clutter and mobility is more important to me than holding you at the line.

With my other str 4 teams I do exactly the same thing (Chaos/Nurgle).

With str 3 teams (humans) I line 3 0 spp linemen on the line, 2 skilled linemen wide, and then 2 blitzers wide, 2 blitzers middle and my ogre in behind the 3 linemen. One lineman lurks behind the ogre in case I get lucky and can put a nice stomp on someone if I get a knockdown in my turn.

But then again, I've been accused of playing an open Defence, but I'd rather let you score in turn 2-3 than 4-5, and my way results in a lot of defensive turnovers.

The real key is to never take the ball first Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

unskilled stuff goes on the line, unless its my ogre team
then ahem its stack the line ^^ Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to do approximately the same as BunnyPuncher. I put the sacrificial players on the LoS, then put my fast players somewhere behind them. My strong players will man the sides. Preferably ST 4 or Stand Firm players. Necromantic is currently one of my favourite teams because I can put an ST 4 Stand Firm player on either wing, making the standard "blitz one player aside and have a free run" tactic that elves tend to use much less effective/easy to pull off.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
Necromantic is currently one of my favourite teams because I can put an ST 4 Stand Firm player on either wing, making the standard "blitz one player aside and have a free run" tactic that elves tend to use much less effective/easy to pull off.

While I hate to post in the same thread so close together... that is one nice idea I have never seen used by a necro team. Also the first thing that anyone has ever said that makes me want to try out a necro team!
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, one more thing:

0--0--0

-0-0-0-

--000--

(0 stands for a player)

Spread them out, or bunch them up? I've seen people bunch them up with a guard in the middle. Good idea, or bad? Why?
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Big guys: The tree and the troll is on LoS, but Ogre, Mino and Rat Ogre is behind, covered by two players.
Reason: I want to use my Ogres, Rat Ogres and Minos as blitzers, or at least mobile players. And mino and RO only has 8 AV, not good for a free block. The troll and tree can't go anywhere and is hard to injure, so up on LoS with them

Else I put the players with least spp on LoS, except for blodge, side step players with st3, unless my opponent has a tackle, claws/rsc and so on.

My khemris has 2 mummies and a guard skellie.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to put my unskilled players up front in -0-0-0- formation, largely because it's what I've seen a lot of good coaches do Smile

But it does do a lot to prevent easy holes if you stagger some men in a --0-0-- behind them, and have solid players on the wings.

Edit: I tend to play bashy/semibashy teams with low MV, so I can't swarm to where the players wind up if a hole is made. I imagine this is less of a concern if you're defending with elves/skaven/lizzies.

Last edited by Shepherd on Jan 25, 2005 - 16:58; edited 1 time in total
nickb2612

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to like 3 unskilled linos on the scrimage and have thre players more spaced out a couple of lines below,

-0-0-0-

0--0--0

With the BG in the middle, and prefarably two side steppers on the outside. Means you can hold pretty easily when your los gets carnaged and counter pretty well, if not force your opponent into going down one flank.
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

--000-- when I want the middle guy to be saffer.
-0-0-0- when I want to make my opponent put more players on the line.
0--0--0 when I don't wanna see a non-one-turner scoring in one turn.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Captain1821 wrote:
0--0--0 when I don't wanna see a non-one-turner scoring in one turn.

Uh?

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Chain pushes, Sheperd.

Look at this if you want to learn something... Shocked

1 Turn TD (LAST TURN for a 3-2) with a mov 7 Dark Elf blitzer. Smile

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=464367

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2005 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Just checking (you can't see this in the replay client) -- kickoff rolled quick snap?

Added this to the Great Replays page. A truly awesome lesson in the power of chain pushing.

Last edited by Shepherd on Jan 25, 2005 - 17:25; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: