23 coaches online • Server time: 01:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Peiliman

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys, I only played about 15 games here and wiht my humans I ve no chance against elves. As a newb I always thin that I should get near them an block them out to have a chance, but with their AG 4 they always slip past me and pass the ball over some stations to make a td.

So I either I put all my players near the elve with the ball to blovk them out an get the ball or I try to position them everywhere to try to close the running ways. Both taktiks didnt work at all, because the elves are not so weak and blocked me out when I was not with enough men. in the other situation one succesful block of them was enough to get through afterwards and make the winning pass. Interceptions also never worked.

Please give me a hint how to defeat the f... Elves Smile
Stevie

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

a couple of players with TACKLEorPASS BLOCK may help,
sometimes its better to just target his receivers instead of the ball carrier, once they are down/out the ball will be easier to acquire.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Tackle is essential against elves, strip ball and pass block are nice also. Also if you get them down, foul them.

When playing d-fence, my choice is usually deep defence.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You can also stall a bit:

First half:
You kick.
They score on turn 2.
You score back in turn eight.

Second half:
They kick.
You score on turn eight.

You win 2-1.

If you menage to resist their assaults and score in turn 5-6 second half, you would get a 2-2 tie.
Always better than a 4-0 defeat Smile

Oh, one last thing: I would not suggest fouling as a valid tactic... to beat elves you NEED any numerical advantage, and if the referee sees you and bans you from the game, you are in trouble. If you foul like a surgeon (wardancers, catchers... with a lot of assists), that's good. If you foul like a clubber (an elven lino who is "just there"), you are likely to lose the game (but this is a general tip, I think).

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %28, %2005 - %13:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I see you lost a game against Nordmark's Dark Elves, and got a draw earlier with other delfs. Don't fret, Nordmark's a pretty good coach so there's no shame in losing against him. Wink

Beating elves just gets progressively harder and they're hard to stop unless you really bash some heads in.

1. Take a note which elves are in position to make a TD. Mark them.
2. Locate the ball and imagine how you'd get the ball to the endzone if you were the other coach.
3. Do you have good odds of securing the ball? If you can, do so.
4. Block the routes the ball probably has to travel through to get to the catchers.
5. Mark as many elves as you can.
6. Sack the ball carrier, and secure the ball.

The idea is to make the elf coach roll a whole lot of dice, whether it's making blocks or making dodges. If you read some match reports there will always be some elf coach whining about 1s. Capitalize on that. The more dice the elf coach has to roll, the more you'll make him whine.

When you're playing humans, you probably can't outpass or outrun the elves. But you probably have more guard, and an ogre so you can outbash the elves most of the time. Start with the lowest AV first (notably the Witch Elves), and get some tackler to do it.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I find most elf teams quite easy to beat with any team (of course two or more str 4 players with leap change my tune). Play smart, give them the ball first, hit the key players as often as possible, foul them if you can do it at +6.

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

First Half - Kill Elfs
Second Half -Score
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing elfs is simply a matter of making them roll as many dice as you can and hoping they stuff something up also a shallow kick forces them to pass to their thrower generally with a lineman (2 rolls both will fail on a 1 and he is unlikely to have surehands or pass, 3 rolls if he has to dodge first) or bring the thrower into blitz range (in which case you beat the stuffing out of him) against pro elfs put one player in front of the elf (to make him dodge hopefully this guy has tackle) and one player behind the elf by 1 square (to roll for intercept make sure your guy has catch or high AG) as with NOS catchers surrounding them is futile and with the positions I described he has to leap or make 2 dodge rolls (one at 3+ and one at 2+ for an Ag4 elf) also you want to apply pressure to the thrower so if you can stand directly in front of him after 2 gfis do so it will make him roll another dice plus force him to be 2 move slower so he might have to gfi to make a good pass
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

How about just loosing to them. Or beat the crap out of them. But seriously. You can win vs elves witout fouling or stalling. It works. Promise.
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Pelliman: elves are humans with AG4, not much you can do
Stevie: bravo. But how many times do you foul in half? Two? Three? You think that's enough?
Zy: when do you choose pass block and for who? Tackle is cool for blitzers.
Flaymin: pass block? for who? why? Strip ball, yeah, if the elf coach is lame enough to expose his ball carrier to a 1d, -2d(wots that?) block
JanMattys: sounds cool but works every third game, if you are lucky
torsoboy: 6. Sack the ball carrier, and secure the ball.
How do you do that vs an avarage passer of AG4, accurate(making a long pass on 3+ on the first skill)

Bunny: Personally I find most elf teams quite easy to beat
You're too cool man
with any team (of course two or more str 4 players with leap change my tune)
Pelliman be happy, you can beat elves with anything!!!
Play smart, give them the ball first, hit the key players as often as possible, foul them if you can do it at +6.
Give them the ball, concede that TD and you can play your uphill battle. Yeah kill their key players if they have any and they are dumb enough to expose them-
+6 Foul, cool. Only 3, 4 or 5 assists needed, go for it
Nazerdemus: brilliant.
Shallow Kick: cool, were do you learn that thing?
against pro elfs put one player in front of the elf (to make him dodge hopefully this guy has tackle) and one player behind the elf by 1 square (to roll for intercept make sure your guy has catch or high AG) ...
wow, you can cover 4 players with 8 players. Nice job.

The only real advice:Have Luck, nothing else needed here.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Or maybe the best advice ever.
Don`t play vs Elves.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Peiliman, when people say outbash that doesn't mean that you should move your players into contact with the elves, they will just knock you down. It's easiest to do when you have the ball, if your opponent doesn't try to stop you, you just walk slowly up the pitch. Keep a catcher or two in his backfield, that forces him to mark them with two players each to stop you from scoring and this will give so you a big leg up in the blocking game if you add your guard players.

Burnalot, elves are not just human with ag4, you could also say that they are humans with less skills and no access to strength skills. If you compare the players one by one you get a 10 SPP human lineman for each rookie lineelf.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Simple! Kill em all!

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Elves rarely have tacklers, so your catchers are quite safe when they lurk for receiving passes in their backfield. Many elves don't start with a thrower, so even your passing game can dominate theirs.

Jump to: