61 coaches online • Server time: 22:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the team. http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=132420 I am hoping to replace the niggled catcher as soon as I get enough cash. The question is, do I hunt around for a really soft match for my next game, or buy a lino and charge back into the thick? Just looking for opinions. May or may not listen to them.

//Edit// The shortened title that appears up top looks a little... wrong. Sorry //Edit//

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Given that they are 4-9-16 I would think a soft match is a good idea..if just for morale Wink But even with the MNG and niggle they are strong enough to play a solid match no worries...and then you are sure to have the money to buy a new catcher. I myself am not a big believer in dumping a niggle just cause....buy the new catcher and keep the decent niggle catcher for a few more games until the new boy is up to speed.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've got eleven players including the nig for next game, so even though my throwers rock, I'm a bit nervous. But you're saying definite no to the lino, eh?

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Just kick the MNG blitzer and the niggled catcher and you are good to go right away. You can also freeboot a blitzer or two lineman if you have problems finding a person with a lowered TS.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Drop the niggled catcher.

Search for STR compatible opponents. Theb you are ready to start right away.

ps: try to score with your linos and not just with your positionals. And have the 5 spps lino make a pass. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

As a human coach who's seen his team go through the highs and lows, I'd say find a "soft" opponent, meaning another team in search of a recovery game, regardless of race. If you can find a team with about as many active players as you, you should be still in a winnable contest. If you do want to be picky, then look for a team with a good ff. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

You should also consider to fire the Assistant Coaches. They aren't worth the TR.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Get more skills on your existing linos before buying new ones. Save the money for the catcher and do fire the assistant coaches.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Buy a lino and charge back into things -- what are you, a pansy? I do agree that the assistant coaches should be dropped, but it's not as if you're protecting a perfect record. Get in there, bash some skulls and play to win. Damn.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:
Just kick the MNG blitzer and the niggled catcher and you are good to go right away.

Ok, this is the only advice that makes no sense.... Why would I retire a skilled blitzer with no permanent injuries? I've lost the coaches and have no real issues with risky games, but will probably take a recovery match. As for the team record.... Well, look at match history, it's getting better (and is the first non-bash team I ever coached) as I learn, and though I would give a Cmp to an SPP 5 lino if convenient, Humans (and undead) strike me as a team where developing your positionals just makes sense. Do I here loud disagreement with that?

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, because as a human team, your positionals are probably worse then your opponent's. The team strength is teamwork, which requires you to make use of everybody in the team, and is why you shouldn't unbalance the roster by creating stars (at least, this early). Besides, AV8 isn't much and you'll find that your positionals leave the field quite often in comparison with the opponent's. At least, that's my experience. Spread the experience, really.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Torsoboy. Milt is just getting to be too much fun. The other question is, is an Ogre worth it? Seems like he'd mess up the going strategy (too much temptation to bash), but maybe if I treat him as a strong lino?

//Edit// Landon, If you want me to bash heads, I'd gladly do that to your woodies Wink //Edit//

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason for my suggestion is that in ranked every game is as important and a MNG player raises your TR without adding anything. You don't really lose anything when you fire a player in ranked if he has no doubles or increases as you will get opponents with lower tr, this is the reason for always firing nigglers in ranked.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Most folk I encounter care more about TS than TR, and consider everyone else is telling me to spread the SPP around.... I don't know. Is Tinky alone in this line of thinking folks?

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I fire skilless MNGs if I have the cash.

But my goal is to keep TR/TS as low as possible. I'm the Montreal Expos of fumbbl.