53 coaches online • Server time: 23:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Dark Elves team that has had a reasonable amount of success playing non elf teams , but whenever i face other elves i lose horribly , can people give be some tips for playing elf ball
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Make them roll more dice then you do and hope they roll double 1 first
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

How about buying yourself a few more players and throwing one or two rerolls away for starters? =)

On a more general note: Consider taking tackle and sidestep instead of sure feet on your blodgers. Sidesteppers disrupt the opponents offence by making it harder to get through/get defenders away from the receivers and tackle is needed on defence (and offense for that matter) to take blodgers down.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Knock one elf down... foul him into Oblivion. Rinse and repeat. By turn 16, no more opponent.. and likely a few TDs along the way.

Unless you're playing ranked.. then you win on turn 4 1st half when they concede because you foul.
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Your team isn´t in very good shape...

Dark Elves are the slowest of the elves but also the strongest. Try to maximise on that.

Strip Ball is also a very fun skill if your opponent runs with the ball. Pass Block if he likes to pass.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The team is going to have a very hard time winning until you have a full eleven players. Dark elves just don't have enough speed to pull off the 7 or 8 man offenses like other elves. You also desperately need some players with tackle. Sure feet is a fairly unimpressive skill for most elves - tackle, diving tackle, leap, shadowing, sidestep, strip ball, and pass block are all much better choices.

I wouldn't try the fouling option quite yet, either. Fouling typically favors the team with the most players, and you only have eight. Later on, yes, it will work, but only it is only particularly effective if you have a few DP. With a single DP, some elf teams will avoid your team. With multiple DP, you might as well get used to playing orcs, dwarves, and chaos, because no elf team will be interested in a match.
Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah Listen to origami, a respected coach, as opposed to other fools with <150 CR who may throw in their 10 cents with silly suggestions just to be a part of the thread.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling elves to death, while maybe fun, is no way to beat an elf team. Sure you can destroy their roster so you or anyone else will never face that particular team again but you will glance up at turn 15 and find yourself down 0-5. Try playing a little defense. a new elf team can be made in 10 minutes but the 0-5 losses you take while executing that such an air-tight game plan are branded on you forever.

In response to your question Nazerdemus, try to get somebody in the passer's face. Tackle is a must. Lots of 2 die blocks if you can. And make the coach throw the long ball. Get bodies on everybody so they opposing coach can't do the ol hand-off and quick pass.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well , I did have some tacklers , but one died and the other got niggled and -ma so was retired , I will certainly be replacing them as soon as possible Smile
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
yeah Listen to origami, a respected coach, as opposed to other fools with <150 CR who may throw in their 10 cents with silly suggestions just to be a part of the thread.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

He means me.. but then.. being in a TT league of two seasons and being 1st season premiers and 2nd season runner up doesn't mean anything unless you have a good coach rating.. ie: Are able to cherry pick effectively in Ranked.

And for those who think I'm shabby, go bite my retired Woodies on the bum.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Also get used to the fact that Blocking is not everything. It may often be better to (gasp) dodge away and place your player to annoy or hinder the opponents movement. Try always to place at least one player within TD distance.

Leave the ballholder far far back (far enough that the pesky MV 8 or 9 players can't reach him) and make sure that there are a couple of players within hand off distance or alternately throw to a player midfield and let him run and hand off to the scorer. Caging often won't work unless you have been lucky on skill rolls and gotten a couple of guards.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

And I second that your team looks pretty dead. You will have to suffer a lot of humiliating defeats before getting it into shape and its not even sure you will be able to.

Scrap it and start over, thats my advice.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

monboesen wrote:
And I second that your team looks pretty dead. You will have to suffer a lot of humiliating defeats before getting it into shape and its not even sure you will be able to.

Scrap it and start over, thats my advice.

I think Ill be back to full srength in 5 games max ,so i dont see the point in retiring a team ive enjoyed playing just cos I need to play a few recovery games , besides I think they can still win E.L.F
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The sure feet skill is very good against more bashy opponenets and has won me a lot of games , but it really doesnt help that much against other elvesys that are still faster than me, I guess a lot of problems I have playing elves with this team is that they are tailored a bit to play orcs and dwarfs
 Jump to: