46 coaches online • Server time: 20:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AgingRalcoholic

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fairly new to the game (as in: played 7 matches ever), and while I do have read the rules (multiple times), and browsed a fair number of forums and "Tactics" pages, I still am too clueless to actually see my Amazons score a touchdown (about 3TDs total in 6 games, mostly due to luck).
I know what a 'cage' is, and I'm able to set one up, but the actual 'use' of the thing, as in getting closer to the opponent's endzone, is beyond me.
Defense is fairly allright, I think, as I typically get about 2 or 3 TDs scored against me.
Now I was thinking: is there anyone who can point me to some *good* replays involving (starting) Amazons? Or maybe some other info so I could actually get a feel for the flow of a good game? I can count to get 2D blocks (as in: I read/understand the "Tips for Noobs" thread, but I'm not into turn-after-turn strategy.

Anyone? Pointers? Help?

thanks!

tom

PS: I suppose sitting together with some experienced players IRL would be ideal, but there's sadly no-one around that qualifies.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been quite successful with my amazons (11/2/0), you can check out their replays:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=116772

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

not so much in-game tactics, but I'd consider retiring a couple of players. if you keep 13 or so, you should have enough to field a full team most of the time, although against cashy teams, you may end up down a player later or 2 (more if you're really unlucky) later in the game. This will reduce your teams rating, and will mean that the teams you play against won't have quite as many skills.

If you want to see a good starting team, and their matches, try Csonti's team, Zon Alarm. You can view the match details (and get to the replay) by clicking on the little green D on the left hand side of each line.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

tomtamboers wrote:

Defense is fairly allright, I think, as I typically get about 2 or 3 TDs scored against me.

Ummm...this is NOT alright! Wink With a team like Amazons who are hard pressed to score more than 2 or 3 TDs themselves, giving up 2-3 a game is a recipe for draws and losses. TIGHT defense is ALWAYS the best offense in this crazy game! Cages are OK...but with your AV your going to lose eventually to properly applied pressure. My experence with the 'Zons has been that feints and sweeps are your friend. Make it LOOK like you are going to cage down the left...then suddenly get a catcher loose on the oppisite side to cause havoc with an overcommited defense. Also develop the hand-off-pass play. Very effective in covering a lot of ground. AND be SURE you get multiple recievers/playmakers into scoring range...if you keep sending a lone player they will get eaten alive.
Good Luck.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheap dp linewomen
Block, Dodge, Guard Blitzers.
Block, dodge team.

(eek).

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

this is a game i played against my brother, and he's a very technical player... very close match (coz i'd been studying his tactics Smile)

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=602798

oh, and if i'm not mistaken, your blitzers get strength skills... get the guard/stand firm combo... you can dodge into anything to add assists, and if u fail to roll that crucial 6 you need, stand firm will stop it from being a turnover Smile
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons are not that easy to play imo and i would make some other teams if i where you, orcs or human are alot more easy in the beginning, for defence try and see if you can mark hes players with your blodgers (players with block and dodge)
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Your first team have to many players , Id recomend getting rid of 3-4 linewomen as a start for them ,

With the cage remember you dont need to have the same players in the cage each turn you can move free players into where you want to move the cage to .

Get blitzers guard as soon as possible

Often Throwing a feint can work as well

Run two catchers down the left flank and move your thrower to the left behind a safe line , leave a couple of blitzers near the right centres , your opponent will probably have to throw quite a lot at your left flank , now create some space by blocking and blitzing near the centre /right of the pitch you should be able to create a gap for one of your blitzers to get through and a lot of his players will be tied up on the left , run your thrower to the blitzer , hand off and run your blitzer deep into your opponents half , then try too get any of your opponents players who could get to your blitzer in the next turn into tackle zones , and throw any spare players you have into a mini screen to stop your opponents getting to your blitzer ,
If your opponent doesnt fall for the faint this you should instead be able to throw to your catcher for the score anyway.

The best way to win with zons though is to blitz fast onto the ball handler as often as you can , even if its only a one dice block ( make sure too make all the covering moves before doing this and try to leave a player to pick up if you do manage to get the ball free ), and throw lots of blocks without letting your opponent have many blocks

Edit : TaCKLERS ARE YOUR ENEMY KILL THEM ALL KILL THEM ALL ,
harley-topper

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I have some succesfull amazon teams, maybe you can view some replays of the early games.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=138184

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=132732

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=145710

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=140890

Unbeaten so far, last game was lucky though.

I started without cathers and a decent amount of rerolls and tried to level my blitzers up quickly, not conventional, but my last team saw the catchers hogging all the touchdowns early on.

CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Aw, I was baited in here by the topic: "Learning to score with Amazons..." and I'm all excited, then I find out it's just asking for tactics coaching a 'zon team...
Laughing
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

You can never have enough guard on an amazon team. Get it on nearly all doubles-rolls for linewomen/catchers, and of course the first normal skill on your blitzers. With that, you can even outbash ogres (as my team was able to do, with the exception of a double-block-double-cas by one of his ogres :-S)!

Unlike dwarves/chaos, an amazon cage is not simply a ball carrier with one person at the four corners one square away. Amazon cages are far more loose, more a matter of a screen of tz's between the enemy and you than a hard and fast box. Personally, I find I score more on defense than I do on offense; use your blodgers to slow his advance, keep one square ahead of him, and dodge multiple potential tacklers into his backfield to pressure his ball carrier. This'll cause him to try something risky, which (unless he's elves) will quite often result in a loose ball from a botched handoff or pass, whereupon your backfield blitzers are there to swoop in and reclaim the ball. In the event they manage to get the ball past your backfield guys, bring them in from the back, creating a vice of players all around him...except one lone player who keeps back, forgotten...until the ball pops loose, you pass ahead to the unguarded player, who waltzes backwards in for hte score.

Yeah, 2-3 scores per game is way too much--my ladies have only given up 16 scores in 13 games, leading to an 8-2-3 record, which really should be better were it not for some poor decisions on my part a couple games.

Jump to: