24 coaches online • Server time: 02:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a first for me, having a str 4 skaven thrower. I was sorely tempted to take strong arm and follow the classical thrower route, but I get so few +Str skills that I simply couldn't pass it up. But now the question becomes what do I do with him? This was his first skill, so he's still a rookie for all intents and purposes. Give him block, stick on him on the LOS, and hire a second thrower to actually do the throwing? Progress him as normal (accurate, safe throw, etc) and simply feel fortunate that any potential tacklers sneaking into my backfield will have more to contend with if they try to sack him?

Anybody who has experience working with strong throwers, please advise.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Give him block first and never put anything av7 which is worth something on the los if you can help it.

After that continue as a regular thrower with accurate I'd say.

Make him the defensive thrower and have another offensive one with accurate/safe throw. (strong arm on doubles)

Just my 2 cts. Might be wrong; never had the luxury of an ST4 thrower. Wink

Last edited by Jinxed on %b %08, %2005 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd use him as a defensive thrower and safety. Block, kick (unless you already have a kicker, but it might be worth it to put it on this guy, as he'll always be set up in the backfield on D), tackle, strip ball, maybe HMP for getting rid of a ball you snag... big hand on doubles.

Makes him a very versatile player who can cover most any role in the backfield on defense. Then get another thrower as your primary, offensive accurate/strong arm/safe throw guy.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I have had experience, but I would simply treat him as a +st lineman (that has passing skills). He gets exactly the same skillset as linos do, except he also gets passing - though you can just choose to ignore those. I'd go along the lines of block, tackle, and if you're lucky enough to roll doubles, either mutations like claw/rsc to inflict damage, or FA/tentacles if you prefer the less bashy ones, or even dodge or guard or something like that (MB?).

And yeah, with that plan another thrower would be very nice.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Buy a new thrower and forget this guy was ever a thrower ,

Umm nice team by the way Smile
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

nazerdemus wrote:

Umm nice team by the way Smile

I second that.

Only decent advice here so far.

From now on he's your tank. Develop him accordingly! Very Happy
Sinner

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

nazerdemus wrote:

yep, just had the luck of having a str4 dark elves thrower... he has AV8 though. got Block, Dodge, Sure hands... excellent ball carrier Smile

Developed a 2nd thrower that rolled str increase after sure hands, safe throw, accurate... doh

no need to be jealous, both are dead or retired

So keep him. make him claw or spiked or big handed on doubles

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I would use him as a thrower still, it means you can afford to hang on to the ball a bit longer with him, with str 4 and surehands it will be hard to get it off him, which means if your runners get bogged down due to some bad rolls it won't be a disaster.

Block, and tackle would still be good options, as you can then use him as a blitzer who has the bonus of getting the ball when he takes down the ball carrier
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

He is not a thrower any more. Bloke at his next skill and if you are lucky claw and RSC Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Block would be a decent next skill. Then try Dump-off for an added twist. If the instance arises that you opponent gets a two dicer on him, he can pitch it to a gutter waiting near by. If not, you are deeper in the opponents end than usual with a thrower and can disect his pass defense with your Gutters.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a pretty successful human thrower with ST 4. The idea for me was this: Give him block, so he can bash if he needs to, then give him "normal" thrower skills. He turns into the ball HOLDER. Run it up with him, it's safer in his hands. It's like giving it to Michael Vick (if you watch NFL). If they concentrate on him, toss to the endzone. If they try and cover the GR, just keep marching with him. It lets you feel way more secure about hanging back "in the pocket" it's great!

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

What I do with st 4 throwers is pretty much what macavity siad I use him to get the ball and advance it up then when i'm ready to score I throw it or hand off to the player who can score. It works pretty well as it's not always easy to get a 2 dice block on a str 4 thrower.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Forget him as a thrower????
With STR 4 and sure hands it's very unlikely that he's going to lose that ball. Use him more than ever AS A THROWER!

Accurate, safe throw, block, tackle. Strong Arm on another double. Forget mutations... if you give that guy Claw, he'll be gone for good within three games.

Very good ball carrier, very good defensive blitzer (mov 7). What can you ask more?

Having this guy sliced and stomped in the LoS or fouled to death because of a nasty mutation would be sad. Keep him and let him do what he's supposed to.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

*retire*
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a ST4 pro elf thrower (first skill). As soon as I can afford it, I'm hiring another thrower and turning this guy into my linebacker. I'll give him block, then strip ball and use him to take the ball away from the other team. Then, when the time comes to send the ball downfield, he can do it or I will find a way to handoff to the other thrower who can do it. Of course, with elves the passer is just a line-elf who gets passing access for 10k, and this is the same thing I would do with a line-elf who gets a strength increase.
 Jump to: