37 coaches online • Server time: 14:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do I buy for my (short-running) tournament dwarves?
Get that 3rd RR for all those gfi's
89%
 89%  [ 35 ]
Buy the replacement Long Beard (you will need him)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi. I'm in a short tournament (teams get dumped after it) and my next match is against woodies. This is my team:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=146770

Do I buy a replacement LB? (because even against woodies someone will get hurt or KO/also nice in the dodge-heavy division I'm in).

or

Do I buy a third RR? (always nice to have)
Brother_Jaco

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You can never have enough Long Beards
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

You always has enough Longbeards

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go with the RR… Even thou a replacement player would be nice dwarfs are some of the toughest stuff in BB and WE should be too busy dodging out that being outnumbered isn’t your primary concern. 2 RRs aren’t much and you need them for GIF or failing to take an important player down. I personally think that an extra RR would get you much further

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Take the RR.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice. It seems most people would go for the third RR. I'm just wondering what the reason is? Could anybody explain in al little more detail.

Thx.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Take the RR. Not for GFIs but for Blocks.

With a similar dwarf-side I just have suffered 5 doubleskulls within the first half.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You may not need the longbeard , you will need the reroll
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ditto.

Against Woodies, you can manage being down 1 LB because you'll be out-casing them. (I hope for you.) The third RR, on the other hand, can make the difference between defeat and victory.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

This young of woodies, very few (if any, he might not have any WD's yet) will have dodge, so tackle is not an issue. Thus, 5 longbeards as LOS fodder should be more than enough, with the blitzers and runners playing deep safeties and the slayers roaming the sidelines, waiting for a foolish elf to stray too close...

The rr's are not so much for the gfi's, as you'll probably find a slow grind will be far more effective vs a near-rookie woodie team than trying to race in. Thus, your main concerns for rr's will be ball pickups (in case it's somebody other than your runners doing the picking up) and the occasional failed block. By failed, I'm not talking "I pushed him but not a knockdown, I'll use a rr" type, unless you're close to the end of the half and have as many rr's left as turns. Offensively, you just want to push them out of the way and slow march your way down field...

Defensively, the extra rr is crucial, b/c all too often you'll have to gfi to get into position to lay a smack down on the ballboy. If the weather is bad (making gfi's at 3+ instead of the normal 2+), that rr can be crucial. Although in that case, you might be better off simply letting him score quickly, then go back to the slow grind. Yes, very boring, but vs low level woodies that's probably your best bet.

Jump to: