58 coaches online • Server time: 21:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dreekenkorin

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there someone who hires mages for a game?? If so, why and always or sometimes? Are they worth it?
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I hire them occasionally. Their usefullness varies according to the races you play against. But just imagine what happens if you throw a fireball into a cage built from a beast of nurgle and some rotters Twisted Evil
Being limited to a single action per game I think the bashy vs bashy game is the one where their influence is the greatest, since turning around a single drive will likely decide the match.

I find them an entertaining way to burn some cash on my bashy teams when I have a little too much and don't need extra players.
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

A wizard works extremely well against dwarves as you can break their cage and run off with the ball
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And might I add that if you are using the LoonyToonSoundTheme hearing Marvin blasting his Eludium Q36 Space Modulator is WELL worth the 50K Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizards are good because people don't expect them, therefore are not prepared to defend against them.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

How can you defend against them? And which magic is used most?
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The magic of the vile halfling chef is most frequently used , but its not real magic , usually fireballl is used , as its a cage breaker
Optihut

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

However, hiring a wizard is a reason for some people to back out of a game. Recently a guy with his ogre team (10 ogres, 3 or 4 re-rolls, some goblins) wanted to play against my amazons. I didn't really want to play, but then decided that playing was a better way to pass the time than not playing. I had 90k in my treasury and said "Well, I'd like to hire a wizard" and then the guy said "Uh... In that case I don't want to play anymore. Do you want to play without hiring the wizard?"
I declined and found a match for my dwarves vs chaos instead.
xen7ric

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mages are great if you're playing a fast, light team against a slower more powerful team. The ability to get the ball off the ball carrier and break up a cage is good enough and with proper use it should at least stop a TD (if you're planning ahead and have a good thrower then turning this into a TD for you shouldn't be unusual).

Slower teams though, are more likely to be in the way standing in the thick of it just where you want to fireball etc and so aren't as good. If you've got money to burn then they're probably worth it.

The 1/2ling master chef is a real pain and the Dwarf one looks good to me too.
Dreekenkorin

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thanks for the information. Wink
 Jump to: