30 coaches online • Server time: 09:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill to give the thrower?
Nerves of steel (it´s coool)
16%
 16%  [ 16 ]
Strong arm (it´s that much better than accurate, or get both)
55%
 55%  [ 54 ]
get the MA upgrade (that extra square make the difference)
25%
 25%  [ 25 ]
Leader (and leave him in a secure backfield position)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mighty blow (?)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
other
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 97

Arcon

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

I am not sure what to give my 2nd, rookie thrower on a double 5.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=62948

I already have a "Pass, Sure Hands, Safe Throw, Accurate" Thrower build from normal skill rolls. Now, here I could choose some trait now.

By the way, does nerves of steel work when catching the ball from a hand off? If yes, with NoS he could recieve the ball and throw it further down the field in the same round beeing surrounded from other players. Well, would work best with safe throw, I guess.

Thanks for your advice!
Uber

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer movement and Leader and MB shouldn't even be listed as options. I'd take MA and make him a block, kick, strip ball ma7 safety.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks uber,
I know MB is not a serious proposal...
Never took Leader at all so far. Because I am not sure it is worth it.
Madhat

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Id go for the strong arm, heck it IS that much better than accurate especially if u have oth ;P
dtahyaio

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Strong Arm.

Your 1st thrower won't survive forever ... eventually, he is either going to get hit and injured/killed, or else he will age. And don't forget there are circumstances where he might be off the pitch - ko'ed, thrown rock, handicaps etc even without having niggles or whatnot, and you'll be glad you've got a backup thrower there when your #1 guy can't take to the pitch.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, strong arm is worse than accurate, never take it unless you want to combine it with accurate.
I voted for NoS and should be followed with blodge and used for throwing on defense AND catching on offense.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Take strong arm. Yes, Accurate is better, but you can get that skill on a normal roll..this is a double, so take the trait while you can..you might not get another chance at it.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Strong arm for sure

TaChIkOmA! \o/
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Strong arm accurate elf throwers are really, really nasty. Tossing the ball nearly half way down the field on a 2+ with reroll pretty much ensures a 2 turn td whenever you are on offense and is also usefull on defense because if you get the ball free in your backfield he can lob it to a reciever pretty much anwhere on the field. Mighty blow and leader are both pretty silly choices and nos is better for catchers than for passers. Movement is nice but you won't need much movement if you can pass as far as you can with strong arm and accurate.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I normally vote for +MA. I just think it gives the player a little more character and a better stat line is generally the best improvement that one can get.

Given that your other thrower is already set up as an offensive DE passing machine, I went with NoS this time. Why? Well, DEs don't particularly need two long bomb throwers. I'd develop this one as a defensive asset. This means, (in no particular order) Dump Off, Block, Dodge and Sure Hands.

On offense, he can hang around midfield and catch either a handoff or a short pass from the ballcarrier deep in the backfield (2+, because NoS does work on both) and move up to either handoff or throw to a receiver for a classic 2-turn TD. On defense, he's the guy who goes in after a loose ball. If he can snag it but can't get out, he can dump off to any awaiting elf around him (probably a 2+ catch, somewhere in the mix), preferably after using up your opponent's blitz to try to take him down. Elves who can score on defensive drives win games... and this guy could help that enormously.

Skip Strong Arm. Your other thrower is already an admirable passing machine - if he gets doubles, then he can pick it up. Strong arm on this guy just means you're using 2 players to fill the same role.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted strong arm initially, but then read your post you already have another thrower developed. In that case, I change my vote to NoS, if for no other reason than should you jar the ball loose of the other team, he can swoop in, pick up the ball regardless of tz's (NoS works on ground pickups as well), then throw out to somebody in the clear at normal chances. So this guy I'd go:

NoS
Surehands (for that second attempt)
Leap (so he truly can get at the ball regardless who's between him)
Safe throw (so the guys next to him don't intercept it back)
Block/dodge (to survive)

Then you jar the ball loose with anybody, he leaps in at 3+, picks up the ball (regardless tz's) at 2+ surehand-reroll 2+, and throws out to anybody still nearby as if nobody was around him. Ideally, you can then handoff/score that same turn, so that your thrower isn't left by himself surrounded by guys royally ticked at him for taking the ball away from their grasp...

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

My addition to the discussion would be that the thing to take into account is whether you assume your first thrower is going to die soon. If he is, you need to develop a second one now, and strong arm would be a great start. If you think he'll be around for a while, then he becomes a line-elf with passing access. The suggestions to turn him into a ball retriever are quite useful, and something I would not have thought of on my own. When I buy my second passer, I'll have to take that into consideration.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

strong arm all the way !
Rusk

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

he can swoop in, pick up the ball regardless of tz's (NoS works on ground pickups as well)

No, NoS does not work on picking up the ball (to my knowledge). Only passing and catching (Edit: and intercepting) in tacklezones. Still a cool skill, though.
If you want to pick up the ball on 2+ regardless of circumstances, Big Hand is the only way to go.
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote :
Quote:

...pick up the ball regardless of tz's (NoS works on ground pickups as well)...

This is wrong, NOS works on pass, catch and intercept(which is basically a catch). The wording in the lrb :

Quote:

Nerves of Steel (General Trait)
The player may ignore the -1 dice modifier for enemy tackle
zones when he attempts to pass, catch or intercept the ball.

I´d go with the movement on that player. DE needs the speed.

M

--edit-- You beat me too it, Rusk Wink
 Jump to: