23 coaches online • Server time: 02:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should a great BloodBowl coach be, more than anything else?
Expert in ingame tactics
19%
 19%  [ 50 ]
Foresighted in long term strategies
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
Versatile and flexible
29%
 29%  [ 77 ]
Able to keep concentration
7%
 7%  [ 19 ]
Brave
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Lucky
30%
 30%  [ 78 ]
Something else (specify below)
6%
 6%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 260

mymLaban

Post 10 Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankie wrote:
True, let's say then that they have totally same teams. Smile

hehe ok i guess luck is staring to be more importent in this case then Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is that luck counts a lot in one game. A bit in ten games. It doesn't count in a 100 games streak.

If two coaches meet in one game with the same team, luck will be the most important factor.
If two coaches meet 100 times, luck will mean approximately nothing at all.

A Good coach is not a coach who can dominate one game. A good coach is a coach able to dominate in the long run. I.e. able to minimize bad luck and to maximize good luck, and able to adapt to every kind of situation it might come up during a very different range of games.

I think this is quiite obvious, isn't it?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

mymLaban wrote:
Frankie wrote:

So if they are of equal skill and has the same team. Then you can also argue if the have the SAME luck. Who will then win?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Nordmark wrote:
mymLaban wrote:
Frankie wrote:

So if they are of equal skill and has the same team. Then you can also argue if the have the SAME luck. Who will then win?

The player who goes first will win - he will rack up the first cas, etc.

However, who cares? You can't actually affect your luck (unless you are cheating). However, you can improve your coaching ability.

I've seen plenty of situations where a coach wasted a lot of good luck through poor tactics on the field. I've also seen the opposite - good placement and foresight by one coach that makes the lucky dodges and sucessful 2d against block by his opponent irrelevant.
Gertwise

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Then I ask you a question: If two equally skilled coaches meet in a game, which will win?

I'm not saying that luck never has a role in a game. If it was two coaches with two exact teams, then I guess it would come down to luck. But once again, how often are you gonna have two coaches of equal skill with two exact teams Very Happy

Flexibility to your opponent and your opponent's team is still IMO the most important factor.
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Versatile and flexible, you have to adapt to way of nufflem cant expect to hit all the dices you want, therefor you need to be able to play with the dices you get and the sucky situations you'll get in
Azurus

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankie wrote:

So, two equally-skilled coaches with identical teams meet. Which will win?

Neither, most likely they'll draw.

I'll go with 'flexible & versatile', being able to react effectively to any situation is what makes a great coach.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Luck can help you in some games, but if you want to win constantly, you have to have a good gameplan and bulletproof tactics.
Even a n00b can beat a well prepared coach (and I hate it!). But if the same n00b plays the same well prepared coach, the n00b will lose almost every game...
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Problem is that luck counts a lot in one game. A bit in ten games. It doesn't count in a 100 games streak.

A 100 game streak is made up from single games and every single game luck will count.

Or not?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope, because usually luck will be balanced in the long run.
I.e. (just an idea):
20 very lucky games for coach A, 20 lucky games for coach A, 20 even matches, 20 lucky games for coach B, 20 very lucky games for coach B.
In every match luck will count. But in the long run it's likely that its effects will be balanced on both sides. This is true for casual events such as "luck", while it's not true for non-casual events such as "skill".

Unless you believe luck is not casual. I do. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
A 100 game streak is made up from single games and every single game luck will count.

What he's saying is that you might have some really lucky games and you will have some really crappy luck games. Good coaching stays pretty much constant and will be flexible enough to maximize luck to get some serious SPP during the really lucky games and manage to somehow scrape out a win during the crappy luck games.
Wukong

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Gertwise wrote:
... Good coaching stays pretty much constant...

Hopefully the "good coaching" wont stay constant, but improve! Very Happy
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Versatile and flexible, you have to adapt to way of nufflem cant expect to hit all the dices you want, therefor you need to be able to play with the dices you get and the sucky situations you'll get in

And your answer to this is by disconnecting when your best blitzer get´s permanently killed?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Nordmark wrote:
Emphasy wrote:

And your answer to this is by disconnecting when your best blitzer get´s permanently killed?

Thats just the cowards way out. Coward, or cheater, witch do you prefer?
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2005 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

At least in tournaments luck doesn't even out in the long run. The team with early misfortune (Aging players, failing apoth, decreasing ff, scarce cash flow) will have a disadvantage against the team with eary luck (stat increases, no aging, ff increases, huge income). Early luck carries on in later matches.

Jump to: