80 coaches online • Server time: 21:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
blitzwing

Post 23 Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings Fumbbl euthusiasts. I need help - strategy wise. With my human team, I am struggling to deal with opposing coaches who have a number of players with a strength of 4, e.g., choas warriors, sauruses, mummies. (this does not usually include big guys, they are easier because usually there is only one of them). In general, I try two things:

1. Mark the strong players with one human player and let him get beaten around every turn. i.e.,

2. Waste 2 players on the strong players, but don't attack (one dice roll too risky.

3. Waste 3 players on strong players and attack them. For 3 choas warriors this equals 9 humans

4. Dodge away, not really want i like doing with a human team 3 or more roll. Inevitably ends in turnover

None of these strategies seem effective. If the opposition has the ball, the strength 4 guys simply beat everyone out of the way and pave the way for the rest of the players.

If I do mark the strong players with 2 or more guys then my enemy simply moves his other free players, which I should have been marking, too help, or to expose weaknesses.

Can anyone help me deal with these menaces. I am at my wits end. I am sure a lot of other players would be interested in the answers of this forum as well.

Last edited by blitzwing on %b %18, %2005 - %12:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

First tip: get guard on all 4 blitzers as first skill, and get guard on every double rolled by a lino.

Second tip: I usually use a combination between 1 and 3.
Method 1 is particularly useful in case of Chaos Warriors or Black Orcs with no Mighty Blow, but it will work only if there is a stupid enough coach to waste a player just to knock a lino down every turn...
Method 3 works well if applied to the right victim. Just knock the guy down and do not follow, leaving the big bad boys only one blitz per turn.

Note: get as soon as you can 5 rerolls. This way you can always try a 3+ dodge and waste a reroll if you need more mobility or better positioning. Humans, in particular, have from the very beginning access to numerous "rerolling" skills such as sure hands, pass and catch. Do not be afraid to try dodges when you need to. Stand Firm on blitzers works wonders in this case Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i usually beat them back, and slowly force them "down" or "up" then you start pushing em out, 1 by 1
it can be done... and btw, i love playing against chaos, one of the few teams "like dwarfs and orc" you know where you got the players, you dont exspect the big surprice from them
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree. beating the opposition "on flanks" while slowly retreating in the middle can be done. And sometimes a strip balling blitzer can even try a blitz for the ball.

Note:
The only way to win against a Lizard team is to blitz-a-skink-every-turn-no-matter-what. Just don't waste your time against Sauruses. Get rid of the little skinks early and you probably will be on your way to winning the game in the second half.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks Janmatty excellent comments, worth printing out. Thankyou you too Must. However, if humans are weaker, how do i beat them back? I dont understand this whole pushing up the flanks and retreating from the middle strategy. Why would that give a weaker team an advantage?

thx again
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, assists provide extra power, and guards do too.. The way to punch back lies on these things.
Just remember that you will probably be bashed if you just accept a big fight around the LoS... use your skills: mov 7 blitzers to surround, annoying side step catchers to get in the way, and the like. Humans do not really lack power, but it is must be used with a little more care. They can't just "charge" the opposition. Careful positioning is probably the most important thing for a human coach: unlike the Orcs, they can't bash their way out a fight, and unlike the elves they can't just dodge away anytime they like.

Be quick and do hit and run against tougher targets, and use the iron fist against weaker opponents.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Early on you can just load up on guard since human blitzers skill up quick and try to play ball as much as possible. Later on they will have more guard than you and agility three won't let you play seriouse ball like elves do so at high tr things get pretty uneven and your best bet is to avoid them or load up on dp and foul like it's going out of style. The reality of the situation is humans don't do well against developed bashers. They aren't reliable enough to play ball and they don't have enough str to bash so your in a tight spot. Praying might help i guess.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The real problem is humans just can't break cages very well. If you can get the ball before he cages it your fine if he gets a cage your forced to fight him and then you lose.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Stand firm helps breaking cages. Sometimes your opponent rolls SKULL-PUSHBACK or POW/SKULL-PUSHBACK. If you have a Stand Frim blitzer there, you can't prevent him to be pushed back... next turn you approach with other players, use the SF blitzer to knock down the corner of the cage, then you can blitz your way to the ballcarrier, or at least put a sidestep catcher in contact with the ball. (always annoying).

This is pure theory of course... but can be done. And I repeat myself cause often I can see that Stand Firm is a vastly underestimated skill.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Standfirm rocks, thats a fact. That works, but it's a real longshot and if you fail you've just engaged him in a nice los fight. Which is exactly what he wanted.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Standfirm also gives you a chance of dodging into the centre of the cage as you can't fall over if you fail.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Knocking down str-4 players away from the centre and then leaving a lino standing next to them is a good way to neutralize a chaos warrior or black orc for most of the drive as it willtake 3-4 turns for the strong player to break armour on the lino. If you manage to tie up the opponents str 4 players this way your blitzers can usually outgone the other opponents in the centre. Make it a rule to not follow up into tackle zones unless you plan to knock that player over as well in the same turn or have another really good reason.

On big guys: You really need to stay away from them. For many coaches it is tempting to gather enough players to knock them down but as they have high AV they will just get up the next turn and tie several of your players up, creating a numerical disadvantage in other ares and this you cannot afford.

Another trap I see many human coaches falling into (even good ones) against strong teams is to move a lot of guarders in contact with the opponent to get an additional block with that stranded player, thinking that the guarders will protect each other the next turn. There is almost always a way to get a 2d block against someone and when the first one falls down they all go.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Usually knocking down one of the high strength players is enough. Don't waste time trying to avoid them all or tie them all up. Figure out which one needs to go down to give you a gap to get through, attack him, and avoid the rest. Then use the gap to your advantage. That will force your opponent to change directions, and cage teams usually don't change directions well.

Of course, I know all this and I can't do it myself. Remember: free advice is often as good as it's worth. Oh, and whoever said rerolls are important is absolutely correct. Dodging on a 3+ with a reroll makes your chances go from 67% to 89%. Not that it helps *my* team, of course. *My* team can still go double ones on a gfi with a reroll (1/36 chance) at least once per game. Grumble, grumble, stupid dice...
Adar

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I often make 2 dice blocks against if the S4 dude doesn't have block and my player does. I only have an 11/36 chance to fall down so it's better than a dodge if you want to get out of your opponents tackel zone.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2005 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

knock down the strength guy and foul him if you get lucky you get a BH. and problem is usually solved.

I say BH because I do not like really crippling teams I play. just when we are playing each other. If you have over 11 players and you still have other high str players rinse and repeat. until he uses his apoth. Then you can slack off for sportsmanship. and then he will be worried about unnecessary blocks.
 Jump to: