17 coaches online • Server time: 07:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=148797

My first elf team. I'm trying to spread SPP, and retiring as necessary to slowly move to higher TR and not get accidentally slaughtered. I'm just curios about general tactics. Mostly with Throwers... Sure Hands? Block? Is Accurate worth it at all? Should I think about getting Lion Warriors ever? Just looking for opinions.

Mac

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice solid team Macavity! In the early games, high elves are well suited to a semi pocket type game, aiming to score in 3 turns. As you will be told many times, you can never have enough guard on high elves, in particular, the linos. Get a kick lino asap, you will see why

Catchers are well nice but it is easy to put all that good development to waste if you let them hog all the spp's. Catchers do not need scoring skills as they are bloomin good at it already, instead concentrate on the defensive abilities. Use them as defenders, Block, Dodge, Sidestep and then Shadowing. MA8 and shadowing is a real painstick them on enemy recievers or ball carriers and victory shall be yours!

Blitzers are arguably your best players. Deveop them again as ball retrievers with a bit of strip ball, you might be interested in dauntless on one of them

Throwers: Well i would have one and givie him the nice skills like accurate and attacking passing skills, whereas i would buy the second thrower later on, when your other thrower gets about 30SPP's.he should be more defence minded, with block, safe throw, and all the defensive skills you would want with a thrower.

In general, always concentrate on the ball, never try to beat the opposition, score score score! pass, move the ball around.

that onl is a general guide but do chat me if you want more advice!!!
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, this info will also help me in developing my own HE team. It's also the first Elf team ever for me but they play Unranked games, so there's a whole lot more bashing included. Smile

Team page: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=147298

I guess the main thing really is to get a skill or two to all your linos first, then get some speedy Catchers. Lino Guard on doubles sounds like the wisest available option and I will do that in the future.
Uber

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Lions are a must. They're the best players for High Elves. If you want blitzers, you should play dark elves. The lions are cheap and easy to skill up. Once they get block and dodge, they become fearsome opponents.
I like to start my high elf teams with 2 of them. If you can get one to score twice in your first game, you get him block and then use him as a MA8 blitzer. Then you do the same with the other one in the next game. At the beginning it's a good strategy to try to get a completion on every elf, this way whoever gets the MVP will get a skill also. Linemen who get a casualty can try for a completion and a TD. Since your lions have catch, the easy completions are much more likely to succeed even with no re-rolls.

Any stats increase is also a blessing for them. It's important not to overlook the rest of your team and spread your points, but as you progress you'll find that these guys will often bail you out and keep you from getting bashed to pieces on botched drives.

They can also work pretty effectively as passers, since their speed allows them to cover a lot of ground and get into short range for those 2+ quick passes. If you're going to play bashers, you may not need 4 of them however. I think two or three is usually enough. You don't want to have too many low AV players.

Personally, High Elves are one of my favorite races. They're definitely the most versatile of elves. They have the toughness of the dark elves, but the extra speed and catch skill of the lions makes them a real scoring machine. Another cool thing is their undercosted thrower at 80k, which makes them by far the cheapest elves. Gotta love em ! Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

its plain and simple:

play em like a badass
LeamBean

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Their agility is valuable for using to dodge out of tackle zones and etc. Armour value and strenght makes them mediocre in the hitting department, they will probably out-hurt the Skaven and Wood Elves but not many other teams.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Smile I think it's easy to tell who looked at my team, but keep it coming, I appreciate it!

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say go for the Lions, I allways try to have four of them, the fastest st3 player tied with the WDs but you have four, dont waste that opportunity. The Dragons are not as vital as for example human blizers or stom vermins, due to the lack of str access so I would probably have gone for a lion before my second dragon, but thats a just me.

The obvious skils are ofcourse block dodge on linos guard on double, if playing lot of dodgy teams mixs dodge and tackle. The same for the dragons but maby throw in a leap if you get a guard on them, leap guard is a skill combo that I want to have. To be able to get a guard in to a cage is usefull I think.

For your team spesific I would say get block on the guard player, guard on a player without block is not to good. try get a linon and skill him to block the first game. no problems on low TR with two TDs. As long as all the lions have block I'm happy to develop my other players a bit more to get reliable catchers to score in tight situations, leap is usefull for that so a block dodge leap development on one or two of the lions and the others more defensive, block dodge strip ball/side step/shadow/tackle even diveing tackle, a blodge sidestep diveing tackle player is really good to have in defense but thats not in an other 10-20 games so...

Feel free to say that I'm an idiot for saying all this, but atleast I looked at your team Smile

Zredna
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Surehands then accurate for your throwers. Doubles go SA, Nerves if you already have SA. Of course you will want lion warriors. And there is now reason a HE, even at 100TR, can't score in two turns. Play open. Look for all the hand-off/pass options and you'll be hard to stop. Once players get blodge, look to get defensive skills right away (Tackle, Side Step, Pass Block...) You can give lionwarriors tackle too. Concentrate on defense and transitions to score. Offense will take care of itself as long as the dice are decent.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

On the whole, the team looks pretty damn good. You've got a very nice spread of SPPs. Keep that up.

Short term, get thee a kicker! Kick turns defensive drives into scores. Against slow teams, it allows you to kick deep and get past all the nasty BOBs and Chaos Warriors and Big Guys. Against other elves, skaven and lizardmen, it allows you to kick near the LoS, which keeps them from holding the ball back out of reach and lets AV 8 do its thing.

Longer term, I tend to use Lion Warriors like wardancers in training. They have the same stats, so why not load them up with the same skills? The best part is that you get 4 of them. NoS on doubles is truly a fantastic thing - just look at the Elf team.

For throwers, I like to make a dedicated offensive thrower (sure hands, accurate, safe throw, strong arm on doubles) and a defensive thrower (sure hands, dump off, kick, block and dodge. NoS on doubles). I'll still field the offensive thrower on defense but in a support role. Generally I'd give the first thrower to roll doubles Strong Arm and make him the offensive guy, given an option in my first few skill rolls.

Leap on a couple of AG 4 players gives you a wonderful opportunity to knock some balls loose. You don't want to leap 4 times a turn, but having a couple of options on who to use for that end of turn, crack-head play is helpful. Always try to keep a lion warrior in range of a TD (or at least to get the ball out of reach) in case you manage to knock the ball loose. Defense is all about forcing mistakes and turning them into TDs, if you ask me.

Jump to: