64 coaches online • Server time: 17:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the thread for the Southern Wastes League Season 9

If you are an Aussie / Kiwi or in the general vicinity timezone wise, feel free to join Very Happy

For existing coaches, please use this forum from now on.

Please note new League Structure Changes in the Group Page.
Uncle_Smed

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

*Insert random smack talking here*

Yeah!
Miyuso

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

With the Reigning Dual Silver Twahnlow Medalist and Hall of Famer 'Big Gordo' On thier Side, as well as the Second highest Completions getter Ever for Norse Blitzers, The Brisbane Boncos are Hoping for Great things
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

A few points about the restructure:

- It was done because Bash teams are now ruling the roost and any attempt at playing a fragile/agility game was getting doomed to failure.

- the cuts are harsh and we understand will be implemented with difficulty

- the restructure was done for the broader good of the league.

- as part of this, we expect some teams to retire and new teams to come into the league... Regional will have teams between tr150 and 100.

- For those worried about racial restrictions, both Snorri and I are cutting our teams in favour of Dark Elves and (wait for it...) The Donuts!

- A tip re culling sides, start with your higher spp players first... dont cull the rookies to leave you with too few players

- "Chunkathon" will remain open to enable coaches to massage in the culls... also, if you want to start afresh and get to TR100-150, then apply now.

- Comments, criticisisms, questions, feel free to contact an admin in IRC or via swladmin@hotmail.com
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
5. Fouling: We are not ruling out fouling, but it is extremely frowned upon in QPool and we would not like to see it used excessively. We will monitor the "ettiquette" of fouling and may make rule changes if we feel it necessary.

Is this new? I've been reasonably foul happy recently - but if the SWL doesn't like it then I'll tone it down.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

DoubleSkulls wrote:
Quote:
5. Fouling: We are not ruling out fouling, but it is extremely frowned upon in QPool and we would not like to see it used excessively. We will monitor the "ettiquette" of fouling and may make rule changes if we feel it necessary.

Is this new? I've been reasonably foul happy recently - but if the SWL doesn't like it then I'll tone it down.

The Old Rules wrote:
LEAGUE RULES

Star Players are allowed.
Wizards are allowed.
In short, everything in the LRB that the client and FUMBBL cater for is allowed.

Any issues you might have with extremely fast scoring or extremely violent bashing are your own and are not shared by this League. Anything goes here.

So to answer your question this is a new ruling for the new SWL.
theopacman

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

It was done because Bash teams are now ruling the roost and any attempt at playing a fragile/agility game was getting doomed to failure.

the tr caps will only benefit the bash teams as st 4 is st4 from day 1 and not many teams can carry blodge elves or 14 players to compete continuosly
If only 150 a elf team with 12 lino's with a skill 4 rr and ff8 = approx 130 room only for 2 positionals with no skill and thats providing you spread your skills out impossibly even. This in my opinion leaves no room for team management at all.1 missing, a position player with a skill or linemen to have a chance at a second skill just isn't attainable
I think 180 is much mor realistic as it allows a base of experienced linemen and rookie position players...a good starting point and a chance to develop or be molded a bit . ( I play Cut throat for team management I liked SWL for team Building and history)
There is still a wide enough gap to conf as 200tr is still superior to 180tr but think some sort of cap in prem will be required to allow turnover of teams in premier due to ability rather than the big teams just getting big to be challenged seriously.

Theos 2 cents
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

theopacman wrote:
Quote:

It was done because Bash teams are now ruling the roost and any attempt at playing a fragile/agility game was getting doomed to failure.

the tr caps will only benefit the bash teams as st 4 is st4 from day 1 and not many teams can carry blodge elves or 14 players to compete continuosly
If only 150 a elf team with 12 lino's with a skill 4 rr and ff8 = approx 130 room only for 2 positionals with no skill and thats providing you spread your skills out impossibly even. This in my opinion leaves no room for team management at all.1 missing, a position player with a skill or linemen to have a chance at a second skill just isn't attainable
I think 180 is much mor realistic as it allows a base of experienced linemen and rookie position players...a good starting point and a chance to develop or be molded a bit . ( I play Cut throat for team management I liked SWL for team Building and history)
There is still a wide enough gap to conf as 200tr is still superior to 180tr but think some sort of cap in oprem will be required to allow turnover of teams in premier due to ability rather than the big teams just getting big to be challenged seriously.

Theos 2 cents

Theo, the cap is only a starting point and the cap limit may be raised if required... you also have to realise that the racial caps may cause alot of new TR100 teams to be created and hence we cant get too far ahead of ourselves.
Rennigeb

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe instead of using strength as a culling factor, total number of skill increases.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

whitey wrote:
DoubleSkulls wrote:
Quote:

The Old Rules wrote:
LEAGUE RULES

Wizards are allowed.
In short, everything in the LRB that the client and FUMBBL cater for is allowed.

Any issues you might have with extremely fast scoring or extremely violent bashing are your own and are not shared by this League. Anything goes here.

Fouling is still allowed, but we have seen some (and I say some) bad examples of teams being slaughtered for no real reason in QPool... its not outlawed, but we're just trying to reinforce the "friendly" atmosphere of QPool.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, I am roughing in divisions... 1 = Premier, 2 = Conf, 3 = Regional.

However, things are not set in concrete, and you have until 1 April until Chunkathon ends to fluctuate your teams. You may decide to scrap your team in the name of racial balance and play a new team up to 150, you may want to state a case for Conference inclusion or you may have some other issue... the 1's, 2's and 3's are only rough guides at this stage.

The only ones set are Premier.
Twahn

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
whitey wrote:
DoubleSkulls wrote:
Quote:

The Old Rules wrote:
LEAGUE RULES

Wizards are allowed.

Fouling is still allowed, but we have seen some (and I say some) bad examples of teams being slaughtered for no real reason in QPool... its not outlawed, but we're just trying to reinforce the "friendly" atmosphere of QPool.

It's soft I tells ye, soft. Weren't like that in my day. We played Bowl as we liked and we liked it as we played it. Yessir!

But, I agree. There ain't no reason for it down there. Guess that makes me a little soft too...

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

TheHall of Records is up! Theo's going to be head curator of the page and he'll fill in as many of the records as he can over the next few days.

In the future if you need to leave details of a swl-beating record, just leave a message on the board in the Hall of Records room. I believe the Curator (currently Theo) there also doesn't mind humble scribbles appreciating his efforts!

I've also added a link to useful materials for swl newbies in the SWL library. If you find any other useful links I should throw in, please PM me.

All of these pages can be found in the usual place.

The Twahnlow Pages
Fool

Post 8 Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Some thoughts from a new coach in SWL:

Its not only the old teams that will be retired, but the new teams too. I orignally joined SWL because I was told there was a dearth of elf players and I like to play high elfs/elfs. I've played tons of games in qpool and chunkython against all sorts of teams, even dwarves, khemri, orcs, chaos and other bashers who were much higher tr/ts than me. I've had my teams beaten down and fouled massively in both qpool and chunkython. If you look at my past players list on my Brotherhood of Beer team, you will see its much larger than my current players. Despite these setbacks, I kept at it... keep playing any/all teams to try to get my teams spps and $$ so I could build them up to a respectable range.

When it was just qpool, my goal was to get the team to 180, but when Chunkython rolled around I was told by veteran coaches that if I wanted a place and to compete in the upper leagues(not qpool) then I needed to get my teams as high as possible because the bashy high tr/ts teams rule the SWL. So i played like a maniac, devoting several hours a day trying to get my teams ready, finally getting my Brotherhood to 190ish (although they have only 10 players) and my SWL Losers team to 225 tr.

Now suddenly, with no warning at all, I'm told that in order to play next season I have to cut my teams to 150... this just totally sucks. I feel like I just bought a new car, and there is no gasoline for it anywhere around. I spent ages getting these teams ready to play, and offered to with races (elfs and highelfs) and a style (i've never chosen dp, mb, rsc, c on any of my teams ever, and I almost never foul) that was rare and desired in the SWL, and it's all for naught.

I feel let down... I put in a lot of work on these teams, and now I won't even be able to play them. I have absoulutely no desire to cut them down to 150... I feel like my only option is to sit them out until the cap limits go up.

My question is, why was nothing communicated to the player base BEFORE chunkthon occurred? I would have done things totally different if someone even hinted that there may be a cap. But I was told the opposite all along... build them as high as i could manage before chunkthon was over.

I've really enjoyed SWL the past few weeks, and enjoyed "meeting" new friends. but this just sucks.

--fool
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2005 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

fool...note the following

ClayInfinity wrote:
Also, I am roughing in divisions... 1 = Premier, 2 = Conf, 3 = Regional.

However, things are not set in concrete, and you have until 1 April until Chunkathon ends to fluctuate your teams. You may decide to scrap your team in the name of racial balance and play a new team up to 150, you may want to state a case for Conference inclusion or you may have some other issue... the 1's, 2's and 3's are only rough guides at this stage.

The only ones set are Premier.

There will be MUCH more writen on this subject before it all settles down. But in these early moments it is best if EVERYONE realizes that these changes were made for the good of the league not only THIS season...but to offer a fair framework for the growth and/or sustainability over many more seasons to come. You yourself said it fool...the people here are excellent..and much fun is to be had...so don't let this little blip put you off. Make your case for Conference inclusion...or get an early jump on a new team. But you should (as well as everyone else) realize the SWL has always been more about "community" than "teams". So if we all just get on with it we can look forward to remaining one of (if not THE) best and strongest leagues on FUMBBL...and THAT is well worth being part of!