41 coaches online • Server time: 11:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

We do have Player obits, but how about team obits? If it had a good bit of fluff and history, it would do wonders... of course, let me submit my own as an example below.

Z
==========================================

The Official Retirement of the Shiv Sena Party

The stadium is packed for the after game show as several thousands of fans waited noisily for the special ceremony that was announced at the start of the game. The teams had left the field, and the fragments of armor and bone was swept off the grass. Some officials hastily constructed a podium in the center of the field, with the special Cabalvision mages casting their spells to make the giant screens focus on the small wooden stand.

A short and pudgy brown man walked to the podium from the dugout, holding a piece of paper. His attire was that of a Blood Bowl Norseman, though his left arm was that of a skeleton! This could only be the Evil Coach and Necromancer Z [also known as AloneAndBurned or AlcingRagaholic]. His gait was slow and somber, and the crowd silenced in awe and suspense as this odd figure took to the podium.
"Ladies and gentlemen, mutants and monsters, elves and dwarves, welcome to the special after game show of the Ulysses Maverick Trophy III. Some of you may know me; I am Z, Bloodbowl coach and part time necromancer-" he says. There is a lot of moaning and roaring from one section of the stadium, which seems to be an assortment of undead players. Z sends them a withering gaze, and they all fall lifeless, not uttering another sound.

"Anyways, I am here to say a few words about one of the more famous and popular teams of the UMT Leagues. Yes, this is none other than my team, the Shiv Sena Party." The icon of a roaring tiger flashes on all the screens as loud roars from these giant cats are heard. "The Shiv Sena Party was one of the first few teams to join the UMT back in the first Season, when fledgling Commissioner BB-Pad first started the Ulysses Maverick Trophy League." He is interrupted by cheering from all sides as another solitary figure approaches the podium... it is none other than League Commissioner BB-Pad!

Z moves out from behind his spot and they shake hands, and then embrace as the crowd keeps cheering. They exchange a few small words, and both go behind the podium. Z resumes his speech. "The team started with 15 players, with it's first game against the Black Plague Reloaded, Coach Cyric612's rats, on June 30th, 2004. They had joined the UMT after leaving another league that turned out to be unsuccessful after the first few rounds. They also lost their first game against the skaven, and made a solemn vow after that game. The first vow was to kill legendary Storm Vermin, Cy An." There is much laughter from the Skaven section of the audience, and Z smiles as well. "The second vow was to prove that they were no yellow-livered whelps from the boonies, but proud Norsemen warriors. Which they did, by winning their next 6 games. They did encounted a lot of problems along the way, losing a lot of key players. The most trouble they faced was against the fouling females of Dominus, Britnoth's amazons, who killed and permanently maimed 4 of the Norsemen in the semi-finals of the first UMT. The Shiv Sena Party went on to win the game 2-0, but were severely hurt for the finals. Their second loss ever came from the finals of the UMT versus Evil Intentions, the Undead team coached by SerXes. They lost 3-0, however, they still held the second place title with pride, showing their true colors even against the might of the Count that the Undead hired for the Finals. Seeing this spirit, Commissioner BB-Pad invited the Shiv Sainiks to the Super UMT that he was forming."

A lot more cheering followed as the team roster that played in the finals was displayed on all the screens, with the various fans of all races cheering on the accomplishments of these unarmored players from India.

Z's face took on a more serious look as he continued. "However, they were in a bit of trouble. Their short game contracts kept the recruits away, and they were already down to 11 players only at the start of the Super Ulysses Maverick Trophy. Their first match, on the 21st of October, 2004, was once again versus Evil Intentions. Though they were looking for retribution for their loss in the finals, they could not do anything. The Shiv Sena Party, in 3 games, from the Semi-Finals to the inaugral SUMT game, had lost nearly half it's players, and the current ones were simply stagnating with injuries and laziness. In a fit of rage, I fired all the players who were injured or slacking off on their duties, and sent them into rookie training. They came back slowly, trying to make up for their past transgressions. But I am a forgiving man, I let them back." Z looked out at the crowd.

"However, there was a price to my fit of rage. The Shiv Sena Party was reduced to only 8 players, a mere half of what it was at it's pinnacle of fitness. It played up much higher against tougher opponents who were looking to completely destroy them for their losses to the Norsemen in the past UMT Season. Which they did. The Shiv Sena Party lost each and every game in the Super Ulysses Maverick Trophy, and barely ended the Season with 10 players. Several fans had abandoned the team for newer, more intact teams. But there was a cadre of you fans that never left us; it was for you that we came back onto the field to play yet another team twice our number and size." He paused as there was more cheering from the Shiv Sena section of the stadium, with countless banners, signs and flags going up as the fans showed themselves for who they truly were.

Z continued after the cheering ended. "BB-Pad graciously let the Shiv Sainiks return to the regular UMT, which was now in it's third season. There were several new teams, and several veteran teams who had migrated to the UMT Leagues. The Shiv Sena Party looked small, yet again, in comparison to these new teams. The season flew by, with the Norsemen losing several more new recruits and veterans along the way, only winning one game, and tying another. Today was the last game of their UMT III Season, which you all saw. It seemed that Nuffle was hell bent on removing any reason for this team to continue playing, with the Lizardmen completely overpowering them and hanging them out to dry." The Lizard section of the field started to cheer, but silenced as they saw the raging fans of the Shiv Sena Party start to charge them. Security barely held the angry fans in check as the lizards decided to retreat to gloat another day.

Glaring over at the Lizardmen, muttering something under his breath, Z looked directly at the center of the Mage's Crystal Ball of Broadcasting. "After 3 Seasons, that is, 18 games in the UMT Leagues, the Shiv Sena Party officially declares it's retirement-" There is an astounding crash of screams and jeers from a lot of the spectators as they tried hard to disbelieve the news. They raged and screamed until Z raised his skeletal arm to silence the crowd. His eyes were going red, and the tears were barely held in check. "Please... let me continue. This must be done. The Shiv Sena Party, as of right now is officially retired. They had a long history here, and must finally go back home to their families and friends, and relive the good times while ignoring the bad. This team was like a family to me, and their loss hurts me too. However, this is not my end in the league. Even though my Elf team, T.O.I.L.E.T is undergoing the same mishaps in the SUMT II, and is probably being retired, I have new teams that are eagerly awaiting a chance to avenge the abuse that the Shiv Sena Party received. But please, never forget the Shiv Sena Party. Let their will to endure and persevere be an example to all of you. Thank you for staying to listen. Enjoy the League finals in both the tournaments."

BB-Pad puts a hand on Z's shoulder, and they both walk off to the locker rooms amidst a thundering of applause and cheering. The theme song of the Shiv Sena Party was played one last time; "Hum Honge Kaamiyaab." The fans got up and sang along with the the music.

"Hum honge kaamiyaab, hum honge kaamiyaab.
Hum honge kaamiyaab ek din-nn-nn...
Oh ho ho mun may haiy vishvaas, poora haiy vishvaas,
Hum honge kaamiyaab ek din."

[Translation from Hindi
We will triumph, we will triumph.
We will triumph one day.
In our minds we believe, truly and honestly believe,
that one day we will triumph.]

The song ended as the two figures walked off the field and the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a dull shadow over the open air stadium.
 Jump to: