15 coaches online • Server time: 06:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sinner

Post 1 Posted: May 05, 2005 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

dear fellow coaches,

there was a time, when coaches came to fumbbl to have fun and to play for fun. There was a time when you played the first coach that was looking for a game with both pointedly not bothering about the other team's roster. That was the time of the risky coach, whom I will do honour to.

It was the time as most people tried to transfer the fun and shared laughter from a tabletop game to the steril and faceless world of online bloodbowl. Many a coach succeeded. Some coaches rant and cry and shout and swear, some are silent... everybody in his own way, but some take this game, this heap of pixels way too seriously.

"I do not play you, because you have a dirty player!", "I do not play you, because you only took claw on doubles!" "I do not play you, because you cherrypick!"... those are the replies you get, when you ask for an honest and fair game.

Where is the brave coach that agrees to a game without looking at a roster!
Where is the coach that laughs at the sight of claws!
Where is the coach that plays for fun and mayhem and big laughs and gives naught about pixel life!

Is he dead? Has he left?

You will be missed.

<edit>Please read the full thread before posting, thank you.</edit>

Last edited by Sinner on May 07, 2005 - 16:13; edited 1 time in total
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 05, 2005 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

err hi Very Happy
at the end of the day everyone has the right to play how they want and play which games they want but id like to think that your post represents my current attitude to the game

Post   Posted: May 05, 2005 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, how's it going? I never look at roster. Never, never, never.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2005 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

one of my fun new hobbies:
Running the gauntlet:
my rats have had far too easy a life. they picked on elves in the name of E.M.U. and got the most dangerous storm vermin ever. i hadnt used them in a while as i was annoyed at myself for having taken killer skills and only played vrs the least bashy of teams so tonight i set myself a challenge.
i anounced in main chat that i wanted any dangerous teams to play them and as long as the game was legal i wasnt going to check teams.
5 games back to back against the first person to challenge me, no replacing players or hireing in between...
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=741592
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=741647
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=741705
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=741893
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=741949
i survived it... this time. next time i have the time to run the gauntlet with them im hoping to get some khemri + killer chaos. thanx to all my opponents for a fun night

Post   Posted: May 05, 2005 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
yeah, how's it going? I never look at roster. Never, never, never.

now thats just not true mac..... ive had you respond to me by saying "4dp... hell yeah should be funny" Laughing

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

There once was a coach who played for fun. He cared not for the team he had spent hours of building, for he thought it was fun to not care. He played only for the match in itself and cared not if he won or lost. He loved to see the claw player kill his players for to him it was only pixels/numbers/bits and they were unimportant.

Other coaches felt another way, and they started playing as well, but they were judged "boring" and "lame" and "cherrypickers" because they felt otherwise. Because they felt that sitting through 1,5 hours of slaughter wasn´t the way they wanted to spend their time. They wanted a fun gaming challenge and kept searching and searching for matchups that would offer that. And they were succesfull.

I choose to salute those coahes that play the game they want to.

M
Sinner

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I did not want to insult anyone, I just mourn the loss of risk to the value of skills... personal opinion.

Oh and there was a reason to put it into GLN Orbituaries

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you can refuse my game offers, and will not think badly of you, but if you agree, and then swear when luck goes my way.... Not much fun for me. I do try to win, and I would invite you to look at my teams and count "killer" skills. Paul is the nicest guy you will ever meet online, and playing him is hilarious fun. I agree that those who play not to win or for fun but to crush others are jerks, but there are bashy coaches who are nice people, and soft coaches who are jerks, just FYI Smile

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think i'm pretty much the coach you described... except with my flings cuz they are my babies *blush*

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Dread!! Where you been, dude?

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah DreadClaw, I still fondly remember our grudge match...

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

With any online community there are generations of players/users. The first generation always think they are right about things, and laid the foundations for everyone to play. Usually they know everyone and are friendly with alot of users.

Then there are new genertations, the founding members usually dont agree with these dudes!

I've noticed it with a few forums I've been on (I've been one of those founding memebers too Very Happy). Most recently on TBB the first generation are leaving, and the second are taking over. I guess there are alot of older (as in fumbbl age) coaches that dont play anymore, either through a decision to quit fumbbl or to find another addiction.

I was a founding memeber of a Warhammer forum, I knew everyone and liked things the way they were. Then new guys came and I didnt like it so much. I didnt like some of the new guys and so lost interest.

Thats my take on it anyway. I rarely hear any of the oldest memebers of fumbbl saying positive stuff about the community. But as the site grows, I guess it loses a little bit of its person touch to these people.

Macavity

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

True enough, Squig, but I like you!

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

well said Squig, maybe it's just me and fond memories. I'm not against everybody though...

I'll think about it

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I look at the other guy's roster, but nowadays I'm less picky thanks to my awesome foul policy, which enables me to retaliate against the bashers, while still finding games against soft teams, despite dps on my roster Smile
 Jump to: