31 coaches online • Server time: 10:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy, I donĀ“t know what skaven vs elves you watch, but when I play those games they are the most exciting.
First of all there are 22 player on the pitch most of the time, creating alot of action. There are protocages forming and being busted, tactical fouls against throwers (=one of the most important guys), blitzers leaping over the line harrassing the backfield. Then the deciding pass is made and passblockers snap into action, the defense moves according to the pass, interception attempts are made.

What I am really writing against is the try to force people into a certain styles of play. These days in Ranked you have to play either REALLY clean (no DP, no MB, no fouling, no AV9, few tackles) or really dirty (bash or be bashed). The middle ground keeps getting smaller in my experience.
Eddy

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

@CL
the kind of games you describe is neat, unfortunately it doesn't appear that often in my book.
i think that more players don't necesarily equate more action, though. most of the elf vs elf games i watch consist of people mutually congratulating themselves over the blitz/pass/catch/TD stuff.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I almost always congratulate my opponent when they score against me, regardless if they are elves or something bashy. It has nothing to do with me being poor at defense or not caring about defense. I do it for the same reason I say "have fun and good luck" in the beginning of the game, and "thanks for the game" afterwards.
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
On the other hand: Who would sacrifice his players to win the game?

I'd risk the lives of my players even if I was down, say, 0-5, if it helped my prevent loosing by 0-6. Now that I think about it, it's quite strange my woodies have survived 258 games.
Eddy

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
I almost always congratulate my opponent when they score against me, regardless if they are elves or something bashy. It has nothing to do with me being poor at defense or not caring about defense. I do it for the same reason I say "have fun and good luck" in the beginning of the game, and "thanks for the game" afterwards.

sometimes, you have to not take everything written _literally_.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2005 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher:
The sacrifice of a player to to a 0-6 loss into a 0-5 loss is unneccessary IMO...
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get the bashy teams are unexciting bit. If anything, they are perhaps more exciting than agility teams. Think about it. You want to work toward a tie in the first half and then use ball control for eight turns. With people throwing bodies into your cage, and you trying to find that one hole in their defense. The only time it gets unexciting is when you don't achieve the first goal early. I went up 1-0 against some dwarves recently, due largely to some very lucky dice rolls on my part. My opponent and I both knew before the 2nd half kickoff that he didn't have a shot at a win. A tie perhaps, but not a win.

Other than that, what could be more exciting than seeing a bunch of AG3 shorties trying to employ a passing game?
blizzt95

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

yadda yadda yadda... everyone has their own opinions and no one's opinions will change with anything anyone says. i agree with paul. don't worry what other people are doing and play some damn blood bowl
Frankie

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yawn... I have a rotter team. Its cas stat talk for itself. And There were times when I had several claws 'n' stuff. Realize: When we sit down to play we're simply rolling damned fake dices. And cherry-pickers go for the cert.

Radical point of view: BAN EVERY ASSHOLE!
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankie wrote:

hmmm good idea but do we use the "bashers" idea of an asshole or the "elfbowlers"? Laughing

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
Frankie wrote:

hmmm good idea but do we use the "bashers" idea of an asshole or the "elfbowlers"? Laughing

both Cool
Azurus

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
@CL
the kind of games you describe is neat, unfortunately it doesn't appear that often in my book.
i think that more players don't necesarily equate more action, though. most of the elf vs elf games i watch consist of people mutually congratulating themselves over the blitz/pass/catch/TD stuff.

Sadly, I've recently come to realise Eddy is pretty much right here. A couple of weeks ago I posted a similar 'it doesn't actually happen like that' comment. It turned out I should have said 'it doesn't actually happen like that in my experience', since I've specced a few of these games recently and it does happen a lot.

And it's all because of the 'protect your players, dodge away every turn' style of play. It's just not that effective a defense, since you're allowing the offense a free reign on positioning (and they have to roll less dice). Thing is, I don't play like that (which is why I have these funny ideas), and my elf teams are almost always in a semi-mangled state as a result. The 'more players, more action' idea is more accurate when you play a more aggresive defence though.

These 2-turn TD every time games happen mostly when the coaches involved would rather allow the TD than risk losing players. That said, sometimes it happens regardless, my DEs have had a few high-scoring games (mostly vs skaven) where there was simply nothing either side could do. But then the dice are like that sometimes.

As usual, I've rambled a bit. Ah well, it happens Wink

Oh yeah, and ban everyone!

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I seriously cannot understand the problem. If you don't like cheryrpicking don't play ranked.

Ranked has one purpose: Building you team. There is no reward for winning games except the effects on your team. Thus ther are no incentives for you to play to anything that could possibly kill your team. I do it, and many people do, but it defies logic and rationality.

Unranked touranements on the other hand have glory and fixed schedules (often). This means that you play a variety of races with a genuine stake in winning.

So why isn't the "I am so angry because people won't play my khemri/dwarves/whatever!"-crowd playing unranked tournaments. Surely you can put in one game every 14 days, which is the prerequisite in many tournaments.

So the only diffence left is that this does not contribute to your coach rating.

But wait! I thought this issue was about "playing the game like it was meant to be played" (whatever that means). If it really is, then go play tournaments. If it isn't and it's really about your freaking coach rating then you really silly.

Summing:

Ranked is about team building. Nothing else there. Cannot expect anyone to play games that jepardize his/her team. Some will do it, but it really makes no sense. Nothing to gain from an expensive win.

Tournaments are competetive, built on the premise that people want to win them. With a fixed schedule there is no cherry-picking and coaches have to play a variety of races. They are also encouraged by the tournament structure to risk that mangling for the sake of winning.

So why aren't you playing tournaments people?

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

bogh wrote:
Ranked has one purpose: Building you team.

says who ? sorry but that is EXACTLY what is really sad and at the root of cherrypicking.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2005 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that anyone in this discussion has done this, but I find it really interesting that when my "bashy teams" try and take on other "bashy teams" they tend to say "naw its too close to a mirror match, how about your(insert squishy team here)". I think there in lies the problem w/bashy teams; where the agi teams dodge(raises hand) the bashy teams; the bashy teams dodge to, they just use different verbage.
My recent string of teams who forgot to wear their av to the game over the last several months has also contributed to my shyness about playing the muscle team; when w.elves are out injuring your teams, the idea of playing ogres kinda gets you scared!
I'm still getting used to the amount of games that can be played on this system so maybe thats just what i'm seeing, but it seems that their are TONS more av breaks and injuries compared to the board game i've been playing on for years, or maybe my dice just suck=).
I am trying to get back into the swing of playing against and playing with the physical teams, but it does not help to persuade me to do this, when those bahsy teams I try and play against say no b/c its a "mirror match".
 Jump to: