19 coaches online • Server time: 05:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is this good
Ye
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Na
67%
 67%  [ 54 ]
Maybe
22%
 22%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 80

Tommi

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a simple table to replace the old CR system:

Winner team over 40 stronger than losers: no benefit for winner
Winner team over 30 stronger than losers: gets 0.02% of losers CR
Winner team over 20 stronger than losers: gets 0.05% of losers CR
Winner team over 10 stronger than losers: gets 0.1% of losers CR
Winner team about same strength: gets 0.2% of losers CR.
Winner team over 20 weaker than losers: gets 0.4% of losers CR

If loser CR is over 10 lower than winners, move one step upwards.
If loser CR is over 25 lower than winners, move 3 steps upwards.

A tie is a win for the coach with lower CR, but move a step upwards.

1. This way there is always the same amount of CR, it just changes owners.
2. A table is more in the spirit of BB.
3. Easier to understand the system.
4. You really benefit playing against equal or stronger coaches.

Also, I would like a feature to the gamefinder, which would show how CR would change from a tie, win or a lose against the opponent 'picked' by the gamefinder. - can be implemented separately -
Wizard

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

no matter what system is in place - someone will complain...

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And who cares about coach rating? It's about the fun of the games!

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd suggest having a good look into the math behind the existing CR system. The main reason that I prever it to your proposal is that rather than having 'steps' (at 10, 20, 30, 40 CR), it is a smooth progression over the whole scale. This prevents people from always trying to (for example) pick games at 9.9CR less than theirs, or 10.1 greater than theirs.

Candlejack

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

well.. the weaker coaches will benefit from playing stronger.. but the stronger will not benefit from playing the weaker ones.. so the weaker ones will not very likely get that many matches against stronger coaches..

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd slap you for even bringing up CR on the gamefinder...you that horny for CR pts? do away with CR entirely ffs
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The existing formula overestimates CR over TS by a huge amount.

2 Examples:
1) If I play an average not too bad coach (CR 155) I am expected to have a 0.500-rate with my TS150 team against TS 242. That´s what the system is expecting from me.
2) If I want to play an even game with a TS150-team, I can only play against 52 coaches (top 53 as opponents), as against all others, I would have to play an illegal match with a TS-dif higher than 40.

I would suggest exponential implementation of TS-dif.
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
The existing formula overestimates CR over TS by a huge amount.

That is true .. but it's only a problem if you're actually going to lose Wink
It just means you are risking more than they are (in terms of CR). I think the main reason for that is to prevent 'good' coaches from gaining CR by challenging 'poor' coaches. You have to win say nine out of ten games (maybe it's more than that) against average coaches with relatively even teams -- and that shouldn't be too hard if you're as good as your CR says Very Happy

The formula I'd like to see improved is TS ... but it's probably a whole lot better now than anything I'd be able to come up with Wink I guess the main trouble is that there is no consideration of how good particular skills are against a specific opponent. The zons vs dwarves is by far the best example of this, where the dwarves are massively under-valued (due to tackle vs dodge).

LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

why stop at 40pts difference? over 200 there is no limitation, and i can imagine a 300tr team beating say a 400tr occassionally. urs sounds like a good place to start, but is to simple, and easily abusable imo...

with beginning teams, 30-40 tr difference means a lot of handicaps, and they can mean the difference between a victory or a loss, far more than the CR does...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
odi

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

What is coach ranking? Is it edible? Razz
Candlejack

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

sadly.. nope..

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
I would suggest exponential implementation of TS-dif.

No, it was worse when it was an absolute value. Now it is relative to the opponents TS as well ie, 120 TS vs 100 TS is the same as 240 TS vs 200 TS.

What we need is:

1. Roll back the changes to the formula that happened awhile ago. it went from dCR/70 to dCR/40. Pushing it upto say 100 or 120 will stop the stupid problem of not being able to play 'fair' games against 'average' coaches, and losing one game in 4 and still leaking massive amounts of CR.

2. FIX the strength forumula. It badly undervalues big game winning skills like claw + rsc, dp, str and agility increases, high armour etc. Some races naturally get a big str reduction over what they really are with the current system (Im thinking dwarves and orcs expecially here). Also put back the minimum value of any player to 20k.

3. Reduce the 40 str rule to 30 STR and enforce it at all values. Have the minimum team STR 100 whatever the state of the team. Also increase the STR value of star players, atm they dont reflect how overpoweringly good some of them are.

4. Disable gaining or losing CR if your opponent has less than ~10% of the total # of ranked games played than you have. No more cherry picking newbies with 150 CR.
Mully

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets get rid of coach ranking all together and take away a primary reason for power gamers to cherry pick.

An added bonus is you eliminate these types of threads.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Lets get rid of coach ranking all together and take away a primary reason for power gamers to cherry pick.

An added bonus is you eliminate these types of threads.

Here, here!

Best suggestion yet!

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't even look at coach rating when choosing games, other than to see how likely it is I'm going to get my pants ripped. I don't care about my own coach rating. It used to suck when I was still learning not to do stupid stuff like make 20 dice rolls per turn because I have elves or try a 1db just because it was there, and it's gotten better as I've become a better coach. The only reason I have ranked teams is because it's easier to get games in ranked than it is anywhere else. It's too easy to get an artificially high CR, and many of the people who have them select their games carefully in order to keep it high.

I don't have many opportunities to play full games, so I can't afford to worry about nor do I care about that nonsense. I'd be more interested in a FR (fun rating) rather than a CR anyway. Of course, people would find a way to take advantage of that as well... *sigh*
 Jump to: