57 coaches online • Server time: 23:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is this good
Ye
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Na
67%
 67%  [ 54 ]
Maybe
22%
 22%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 80

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no "I" in team.

And teams is what Blood Bowl is all about.

Thus, I think that coach ranking is kind of lame, even though I never had a problem with team ranking.

Anyhow, this magnificent site has been realized by Christer (who does undoubtedly a very good job), and if he really wants coach ranking to be there, it's perfectly legitimate to have it, even though I personally would have preferred if it had remained optional.

Christer wrote:
If you feel this way, play in unranked and let those who care play in [R]. Why bother with complaint posts?

Easily explained:

Blood Bowl is also about teams playing in tournaments, and the most attractive tournaments occur in [R] these days.
Melonhead

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

mstrchef13 wrote:

Most of us at one time or another have run into someone who has demonstrated his arseness by:

(1) fouling on turn 1 or 16,

What's wrong with fouling on turn 1? If you have a good shot at taking out a potential threat on the first turn, why wouldn't you do it?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling on turn one is the most efficient fouling, as you take out his star for 16 turns. The later in the game, the less neccessary is fouling.
Funso

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

mstrchef13 wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most of us at one time or another have run into someone who has demonstrated his arseness by:

This has to be the poorest anti-fouling post comment ever made, surely.

"Oh my god, he fouled on turn 1!!!"
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling is only acceptable in even turns after the 2nd within the first half and only, if the turn-number is the cross total of the current date.
Christer

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 01:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
Many coaches are sick of ranked how it is

Yeah, I'm glad I have you around to represent what "most" people think. I am NOT forcing anyone to play in [R]. If you haven't noticed, I'm actively trying to encourage more people to play in [F] for instance. But then again you tend to whine and moan about everything I do, including the things I do in F. I've just stopped listening.

Britnoth wrote:
the other divisions have been systematically exterminated

And I have to say I'm glad you decided to clear out my obvious agenda to force people to do my bidding. I made this site just so I could force everyone to worship me for the awesome Strength and CR formula I created (and feel free to point out that I didn't create either of them on my own). It makes me feel so powerful when people choose to play in [R] instead of [U] or whatever division they choose. I _really_ killed Ladder on my own, by revamping the ruleset when it was at it's complete PEAK of activity. Twice even, just to make sure it died properly. Oh, and don't get me started about the amazing [dX] division, which I single handedly killed of by... uhm.. Please remind me what I did to it.

What else? Stunty? Yeah, I killed that too.. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure you can tell me.. Oh, it's not dead? *shuffles off to plan how to kill it*.

Now, let's see, what divisions do we have left? Faction.. Yeah, I haven't been trying to get it more active lately. Let's not forget the massive PR campaign I've done to kill off [U] and the player run tournaments that are running there.

Overall, I'm rather sick of getting these kind of comments from you Britnoth. I seriously don't see how you can believe I'm honestly trying to force people to do anything. FUMBBL is here because I wanted to set up a league for JavaBBowl. Now, I'm running it because of the literally hundreds of people who enjoy it on a daily basis makes it worthwhile. I haven't been actively playing much at all lately, and there are a bunch of people who gratiously give their spare time to handle the day to day issues that crop up in a community of this size.

I also don't understand what I have done that makes you think I am trying to push my own agenda here. I really haven't got ANYTHING to gain from getting people to play in [R]. It honestly makes very little difference to me personally. Quite the contrary really. I have spent time to make the other divisions able to exist, just so that there will be something for everyone and I find it a bit sad to see the divisions just die off. If I had really wanted to push my agenda with [R], I would simply just kill off all other divisions and be done with it. The main difference between [R], [F] and [U] is the ranking system used, and the existance of these divisions give people a choice. Am I to blame for the fact that most people choose to play in [R]?
liquidorange

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems a little odd that people would insinuate any agenda in how things run around here. I just enjoy playing the game and I'm grateful that those much more computer-savvy than myself (read: Christer, SkiJunkie and anyone else who is involved in creating and/or running things around here) are willing to put their valuable time into creating something for the rest of us to have fun playing. Cheers to all of you.
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Funso wrote:
mstrchef13 wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most of us at one time or another have run into someone who has demonstrated his arseness by:

This has to be the poorest anti-fouling post comment ever made, surely.

"Oh my god, he fouled on turn 1!!!"

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I have spectated games in which one coach fouled 16 times, and the fouling wasn't particularly strategic, unless you are one who thinks fouling the closest player to your last man to move is strategic. That's all I was trying to say.
origami

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been quite happy with this site. There aren't a whole lot of people who play Bloodbowl in my area of the world, so without Fumbbl..well..I never would have gotten into the game again. Heck, I even went out and bought a Bloodbowl set (not cheap) just so that I could play online legally.
BigMac

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer, you should not take things personally.

In my oppinion the divisions should all be totally reorganised.

Stunty:

Personally i feel Stunty is complete bullshit and it's just games people would have to play with official races if it was not there. So if it was my server i'd do away with stunty.

DivX:

The Agenda for DivX was playtesting official (coming from bloodbowl.com) experimental rules. Well there are some of those rules, and its not only the vault. Its the Secret weapons rules and the new Dark Elf / Elf Star Player "Hubris Rakrath" and even an experimental Snotling team can be found in bloodbowl.com's resources section. So DivX either needs someone Adminstrating it who is willing and able to change things a lot and play around with features and rules (aka experimenting), or we should shut it down completely until the next big thing aka the Vault is ready to go.

Faction:

To me this is the "Enthusiasts" Division where you have to be willing to do some timemanagement to play in, meaning making dates to play with other people and be there on time, stuff like that. Thats not really for everybody, but its the closest thing to playing a real league and should certainly stay.

Now, ranked and unranked.
Do away with them both. No more ranked and unranked.

The "Default" Division, the biggest "pool" should be "Open" meaning open for everybody.
Then there should be "Ladder" a competitive Division, which should offer 2 ways of competition:
Competing as a Team, where only your stats using this team are used for ranking, and Competing as a Coach which uses all data from all Ladder games a coach has played.

As to how "Ladder" (the competitive no faction division) should look like in detail, that should be discussed at that time. The only thing definite is that teams should not be "created" in Ladder, but moved there from open and dropp back out of ladder to open if they do really bad.

As to Teambuilding:

You guys should understand that teambuilding is bad. Its an protective attitude, which messes up the principles of this game which are "play to win the match and kill the oppositon in the process". I hate, really hate coaches who build TR 400 teams, who keep "Legend" Players on their rosters. Thats not how this game is meant to be played. The goal of the team management part is to generate a most efficient lineup, a teamrating as low as possible and a teamstrength as high as possible.

For those who just love the building of insane highly rated teams, Christer you should really think about a Division where Injuries are limited to "maximum Badly Hurt", iow no permanent damage to teams. In that division we would see TR 400 Chaos play TR 400 Wood ELf and i think it would be fun for those who like skill loaded games, and there would be no Cherry Picking at all. Its not the LRB but FOR GODS SAKE its not the LAW that every thing must be LRB.

We should provide a couple of interesting scenarios to play in, ONE and the most important one should be PURE LRB. But making every Ladder Game a Semi-Final to play with more cash and faster recovery will not make Nuffle roar and kick the server from Gothenburg to Stockholm.

In essence, there are a couple of "streams" in the community, and one big problem (cherrypicking), and we should just set up a couple of scenarios where people of the same stream are happy.

For me, it would be a Ladder to climb with a team until it reaches the top or breaks in the process.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
Christer, you should not take things personally.

In my oppinion the divisions should all be totally reorganised.

According to the stats page, there are currently 18,865 opinions on how things should be totally reorganized.

What makes you (or I, or any of those other 18862 coaches) any more qualified to say how to run the largest league in history than the one guy here who has actually done it?

Hubris Rakarth...?

Interesting choice of examples. Smile

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

personally I'm extremely grateful for fumbbl, especially since so many others invest their freetime for my sake. For me, logging onto fumbbl is the same thing as being a guest in Christer's living room. If he asks you to remove your shoes before stepping on the carpet...do it. Don't retort "Why are you pushing your shoeless agenda on me?!"

R is what it is. CR is what it is. And yes, it's Christer's perogative to do with it what he chooses.

As for not getting games in div U, I think you're wrong. Div U is VERY active and alive. About 160 games are played in div U each day. It just doesn't work the exact same way as div R w/ gamefinder and bb lfg.

Join a group. Hec, join several groups. BBvets is just one of a hundred such groups that does this; provide you games in unranked. Instead of CR, we have a point system. Those that hate CR and div R you will find PLENTY of games in div U. Our irc channel is #bbvet. Our door is open to you...and we are about to embark on a series of tournaments soon. PM me for details.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

In my oppinion the divisions should all be totally reorganised

Maybe you should spend a little more time on the site and gain an appreciation of the changes that have and will occur before sharing your "expert" opinion.

For someone with less than 50 games played here you sure talk like you know alot. Any chance you are related to Force / Toby

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn... I tried to cut of the topic with meaningless spam, before it heated up, but I failed... Sad

Well, is there any chance, that we can come back to our topic - the ranking formula?

I want to propose two changes:
1) Nomalization of CR-difference. Difference between CR160 and CR150 can be a ton. Difference between CR190 and CR180 is only marginal. So normalize the CR as well. Divide this difference by 25 instead of 40 - so there wouldn´t be a difference on CR 160.
2) Put a different weight on the TS. The higher the difference gets, the harder it gets to win against the gap. So I want to propose, an exponential factor here. Instead of TS-dif/70 put in (TS-dif^1,3)/70.

Thx for your attention.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think nowadays new coaches are (at least a bit) more likely to create something else than a Ranked team as their first team of choice.
Reason: the different divisions are actually explained on the create new team-page. This is a really nice thing! Smile Previously you had to know the site entirely to be able to dig out that information from deep within. At least for me, a link called "Rules" does not equal "General information", which I was looking for as a new coach and decided "what the heck, I'll just make a Ranked team as it is the first option in the list. I bet the other divisions aren't even necessary."

However, I'd like to propose a small chance to the create new team-page: Move Unranked to second or third spot on the list (counting from up to down). As it is, new coaches are more likely to read the one to three descriptions on the top, see that Ranked is the only one out of them which seems fit for a newbie and create their team there.

My personal opinion for the ideal order for the create new team-page:

Ranked
Unranked
Faction
Stunty
Ladder
DivX

Trying to arrange these divisions in an order somewhat resembling their popularity (=top div is the biggest div, second highest is the second biggest div etc.) would make sense for me and most likely a lot of new players, unlike the current order with the keyword "random".

Jump to: