55 coaches online • Server time: 17:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I lost in overtime vs Jinxed and even if I played really well (IMO) he got the win in overtime (I battle at 9 or 10 almost all game long with a werewolf dead).

I was down in str by almost 6pts and my CR was 162 roughly, his was 158.

I lost almost 4 points of CR!!!

For a game with not so much differences and lost in overtime.

Considering the fact:
-you would have drawed if no overtime would have occured
-overtime winner depends heavely on who gets the kickoff

I think it should be fair to lower a bit the effect of either win or loss in overtime.

of course I wouldn't have written anything if I would have won, neither do I want my points back but I think that winning or losing in overtime isn't the same as doing so in regulate time.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I lost almost 4 points of CR!!!

Without reviewing ALL the facts, I would guess your CR went down as a result

1) the difference in your coach rankings rather than your team strengths
2) the fact that this was in a FUMMBL tourney which magnifies the effects on coach ranking

That said, IMO a loss in overtime is no different than a loss in T8. In fact some (not me) would argue that with 8 full extra turns to play, your superior coaching ability (ie CR) would give you an even bigger advantage over your opponent.

I agree 4 points are alot (at least for those who care about CR), but that's the risk you get playing in the ranked tournies.

(not trying to burst your bubble, just pointing out the counter arguements)

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats the joy of ranked tournaments sk8, the K-value (weight value) is scaringly high. I´m guessing it was a 16 player KO tourney. Well in that case the K-value was 8 as opposed to "normal" ranked play wherein the K-value is 2. That makes quite a bit difference. I, myself, having at the time a CR of about 170 lost to a coach with CR 148 in the Royal Rookie Rumble. I lost 7 points of CR. Smile

I´m gonna have to disagree with you that there should be "degrees" of winning and losing - eg. reduced K-value in case of overtime. Either you win or lose, there is no other option in KO tourneys. And how you win or lose isn´t really relevant. Smile

M

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

okay I admitt that the way I see the case is biased by the fact I really tought I should have beaten Jinxed ( Wink next time Jinxed I ll get ya!).

Ok too both points of view are valid.

it the fluffy

"Do or die" situation

or the (legitimate):

I battled well during regular game time.

Wouldn't I have been the looser, would I probably stand for "do or die".

But if a weaker coach does draw an opponent during full 16 turns does he deserve a loss effect? didn't he do well?
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The win, draw and loss effect on coach ranking is explained here

Factors are K-value, difference in CR and difference in TS, with major emphasis on CR.

M

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember, CR is pointless and nothing to get upset about.

Did you forget that?
xlars

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

No CR isnt pointless, thats just your view. Its perfectly allright to get upset if you feel its important to you
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In the NHL they have 3 points for a win. 2 points for a win in OT. 1 point for a loss in OT. Tie 1 point each. Nothing for a loss.
Ofcourse I could have errored, its been so long since the last hockey season I could have forgotten. You all should pray for the NHL and thier players to settle thier differences, because you wont see many Canadians on here during that return season. A plus for you and us.

Jeffro
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I just realised its not what you meant. Sorry disregard.

Jeffro
Adar

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The magnified K values can have very stupid results. I played against a 72str points stronger team and lost over 2 points in coach ranking...

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe. I don't think you should have won. Wink

You easily COULD have won. My strategy of ignoring everything except your wolves (KILL! KILL!) paid off in the end.

But yeah; 4 points of CR is harsh considering we played a game with even tr/ts and close CR to begin with.

ps; here's the match;

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
In the NHL they have 3 points for a win. 2 points for a win in OT. 1 point for a loss in OT. Tie 1 point each. Nothing for a loss.
Ofcourse I could have errored, its been so long since the last hockey season I could have forgotten. You all should pray for the NHL and thier players to settle thier differences, because you wont see many Canadians on here during that return season. A plus for you and us.

that's exactely what I was thinking about.

But in NHL the rule is pretty new actually.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2005 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

per the above - actually I DID think of something that WOULD be stupid. Suppose you both played a full OT and still were tied and Jinxed advanced on a coin flip.

Losing 4 points of CR on a coin flip WOULD be pretty stupid.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2005 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

mayb u can just pwn sum n00bs to plvl ya CR?

(is that how young people talk these days? I gather it is, but to me it just seems to be lacking something... vowels, perhaps?)
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2005 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

You lost me with the part where you are worried about your coach rating.
 Jump to: