26 coaches online • Server time: 12:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
peikko

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I would personally support less unranked slots. This is because it seems that people join too many tournaments and are more like to quit tournaments half way and this way screwing up them. If there were fewer tournaments you most prolly would think quiting couple times more. Also I would like to see that if you quit tournament, that team will be part of it untill end of the tourney and you could not use that team or create new team into that slot before tourney has ended or tourney runner manually frees that team.
InkRose

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point, Karhu. I'm liking Mezir's idea, though, as it would make it possible for me to make more ranked teams in the future without having to retire the older ones. But yeah, some restrictions should probably be in place, and their implementation is bound to be tricky.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I support Mezir's idea too! Personally I like to try out lots of teams and play mostly in ranked cause it's easier to get a pick up game (on demand as it were) which suits me best.

I've retired a number of teams that were perfectly serviceable just so I could start a new race team. My only use for an unranked team is to play in the SWL and I find the 5 team limit in ranked annoying. If I could get more by forgoing unranked teams I'd happily do that.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:
Actually I would personally support less unranked slots. This is because it seems that people join too many tournaments and are more like to quit tournaments half way and this way screwing up them. If there were fewer tournaments you most prolly would think quiting couple times more.

Sadly, this is also true. I guess people who play in lots of tournaments (like me) should just play their casual matches in Ranked and leave the U slots for group matches only.

peikko wrote:
Also I would like to see that if you quit tournament, that team will be part of it untill end of the tourney and you could not use that team or create new team into that slot before tourney has ended or tourney runner manually frees that team.

I agree on this one!

Longshanks wrote:
I support Mezir's idea too! Personally I like to try out lots of teams and play mostly in ranked cause it's easier to get a pick up game (on demand as it were) which suits me best.

I've retired a number of teams that were perfectly serviceable just so I could start a new race team. My only use for an unranked team is to play in the SWL and I find the 5 team limit in ranked annoying. If I could get more by forgoing unranked teams I'd happily do that.

Just enter some casual play groups in Unranked or join an Unranked tournament to test out a certain race you think has enough potential. This will require you to play some games with the team and not just play one game, think the team sucks and delete it. You need at least 5-8 matches to see if a race is any good, therefore making tournament entry a nice option. League entry is a BAD option, as you might wish to delete the team after the tournament if the race doesn't suit you.

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %16, %2005 - %12:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

2 things:

too Khar:
-for informal group, join with the same team that can come from S, R div x or U.

It will free you 4 slots.

Then I am AGAINST Mezir's idea. Hey currently ladder and div x are dead enough. If you can swap your slots to the other you can also delete the divisions.

And it would be a perfect way to increase number of R slots, wich is not wanted either.

To Synn, it has been discussed 7000 tousand times about having more R slots, and concluded that 5 are perfect. As far as I am here, Khar is the first to ask for more U slots.

To Peikko: yes leaving is a problem. Reducing U slots not a solution. The "blocking team idea" sounded good first but finally isn't. I left tournament groups sometimes, when the tournament organisator left and the tourney was dead. If additionnaly, I lock my slot, it's a problem.

And if I play KO style, loose in round 1! Why the hell couldn't I recreate a team for playing elsewhere.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
too Khar:
-for informal group, join with the same team that can come from S, R div x or U.

It will free you 4 slots.

4vs4 IT is Unranked only. Drunk & Disorderly is Unranked only. Just 4 Fun is Unranked only. These teams play versus each other in the group...they do not just collect points from games versus random opponents. People meet each other in the group channel, talk about their lives and eventually get to know each other. People can follow how the others' teams develop and try bashing their star players. This is my kinda thing but it doesn't work in S/R/div x because there are coaches who really need their S/R/div x slots and therefore the groups have to be in unranked. Sad

These groups are really nice waste of time when you are in between tournaments or you got a bit over an hour of time...you can join the channel if anyone's online to get a quick match, because gamefinder might be too slow to get a game.

If we had something like this e.g. in ranked, I'd have use for all my 5 slots quickly. Very Happy

sk8bcn wrote:
To Peikko: yes leaving is a problem. Reducing U slots not a solution. The "blocking team idea" sounded good first but finally isn't. I left tournament groups sometimes, when the tournament organisator left and the tourney was dead. If additionnaly, I lock my slot, it's a problem.

And if I play KO style, loose in round 1! Why the hell couldn't I recreate a team for playing elsewhere.

These two things could become problematic...but in the case an admin creates a tournament meant to hold for a longer period of time (e.g. peikko's Wanna Be a Stunty Star?-tournies), I see no difficulties in making the team lock. Ad admin won't leave int he middle and if an admin makes a KO tourney, he can choose not to use the lock.

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2005 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

oh okay I did get you right with your definition of informal group (I thought you entered teams to have them on the page and get pm's).

Except in peikko's tourneys, I never played in an unofficial tournament run by an admin.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2005 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I primarily play in Unranked, and to reduce my slots would be a disaster. To be honest I only have 6 of my 15 teams that I use regularly, the others are either Ranked teams that no longer were getting games and I wanted to preserve them, or holdovers from tourneys that died. Problem is, I now use them quite a lot as dummy teams in the league I am an admin for. Being able to use them in this way makes running a league far smoother, and allows us to get round some of the rough edges in fumbbl's tourney systems.

I pretty much play ranked only for mucking about with different teams, and those teams tend to be turnover fairly regularly. I still play a reasonable number of ranked games though, and I find 5 to be about right.