37 coaches online • Server time: 14:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2005 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The next round of M N F is in the works and it's looking a bit nutty...

Mixup Nutty Foosball!

Q: What's MNF?
A:
MNF was originally Monday Night Fourball. It has since gone through a couple of iterations with full teams, however, including Bare Bones and Monday Night Champions League. Basically it's a group of coaches who get together at the same time each and every week for fun, fluffy tourneys with interesting twists on both themes and tourney rules.

Q: What's Mixup Nutty Foosball?
A:
It's the next silly tourney idea we're trying, starting on July 11th. Random alliances between teams, random skill picks and, undoubtedly, some random chatter in #MNF.

Q: What was that time again?
A:
We play every Monday Night from 19:30 - 24:00 GMT-6 (aka, 7:30 - midnight, Central Standard Time). We're taking a week off on July 4 (Independence Day for those of us in the States), however.

Q: Now what makes Mixup Nutty Foosball so Nutty?
A:
To answer that, I have to point out that we're going a bit overboard on the tourney rules. It might not be for everyone but there's a significant amount of management to do between games - and that's by design. It's part of the whole idea. Basically, the highlights of Mixup Nutty Football include:
    Random Skill Picks - You make a list of 6 skills to choose from and when you roll a skill, you roll a die in chat ("bb d6") and you must take that skill from your list!

Random Pairings - each round (most weeks will be played as a round robin), you get randomly assigned a partner. This is not an opponent, rather this is more akin to a temporary stable (for those familiar with that concept) Your points are based upon the average of both you and your opponent's points in that round. Next round? New random partner!

Shuffling Skill Lists - After each game and before rolling any skills, you get a choice. You can change either one skill on your opponent's list or one skill on your own list. Naturally, your opponent gets to do the same thing. Loser picks first, so the winner gets to see what they choose and act accordingly.

Team Cap - Finally, the last of the rules involves a TR cap - to keep teams close together TR-wise and facilitate the entry of new coaches and teams. Part of the purpose of this thread is setting exactly where the cutoff should be. My initial thought is 150. That's entirely flexible, however

Q: Why Foosball?
A:
Because it start with F and it is inherently funny. Just say it. Out loud. Right now. Say it! SAY IT! LOUDER!
See? Inherently funny.

Q: Is there a theme? Fluff?
A:
Those who are familiar with MNF know that there is almost always a theme. This time around, it's The Goode and Noble Arte of Linguistic Chicanery. So far we have oxymorons, mixed metaphors, non sequiturs and I think it's safe to guess that EvolveToAnarchism will have alliteration covered. Need a hand coming up with something good? Ask here in the forums or in chat! A background story may or may not be coming soon.

Q: What the fraggin' fruckus is "Leen-gwi-stick Chi-ckay-nuh-ree"?
A:
Word tricks... only all fancy-like.

Q: Whose crackhead idea is this, anyway?
A:
I sure don't want to take all the blame. Smile There was a number of people who all pooled together to come up with this much nuttiness. I think it was AlcingRagaholic, Celas, EvolveToAnarchism, Falcone, J_Fits2005, LurkingGrue, Screech and myself for most of the time.
I've probably forgotten someone. Don't feel bad, however. I don't even remember what I had for breakfast. I'm funny that way. Just chime in if I left your name off the list.

More to come, including details on each part of the tourney: league setup, tourney scoring and the all-important post-game procedure.

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %29, %2005 - %21:%Jun; edited 3 times in total
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2005 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

1. League Setup

- TR100 LRB teams only. Wizards allowed but no stars. Each team needs a theme and a list of skill picks for each position in their bio.

- Short round robins over a period of three weeks - each RR based upon attendance

- Coaches accumulate points by playing in round robins. each round, a coach and their designated partner add together their points and split them evenly.

- KO round to determine winner of the month - seeded based upon points earned from the RRs.

- Salary cap - No team may ever pass the TR cap, excluding treasury. TR cap is TBD.

2. Tourney Scoring

- Each round, every coach gets a partner - someone whom they are not playing against that round.

- each match earns points for the coaches who played it, using the following formula:
win: 10
tie: 4
loss: 0
Each TD: 2
Each CAS: 2
Each INT: 2

- After the match, take your points you earned, add them to your partner's points and split 'em. Right down the middle (note only even numbers in the points summary!). You each take home half. You can either ride on the coattails of greatness or be brought low by the incompetence of others. Ah, just like life...

- Teams keep a record of all points scored as league points - which determine the seeding of the KO at the end of the month. Oh yeah, and glory and honor and all that...

3. Post game

Ok, post-game is where it gets a little complicated. Don't sweat it, it's not that bad... just a couple steps to follow:

- loser of the match: looks at his opponent's list of skill picks and can either change one of them OR change one of his own skill picks (generally useful if someone changed your Mummy list to include shadowing instead of block!)

- winner of the match: wait until your opponent picks, then you get to do the same thing. Either you can change one of your own skills back (but note the "tag backs" rule below), if he tried to screw you over, or you can change one of his as you see fit.

- note that "changing one pick on the list" means you get to change both the regular and doubles roll for one possible number. In the case of my sample team, you could change Lineman 1 from "Block/Guard" to "Shadowing/Break Tackle" if you wanted to. Of course, I'd hate you for it, but I'm sure you can live with that, right?

- note that you change both skill on one particular number for one position only. It has to be a legal choice, obviously. You can change both the regular and double pick.

- in the event of a tie, you can pick any mutually agreeable way of determining who gets to go first or just ask if you intended to change each other's skills or your own... it might not even matter. Just find something that works for both of you.

- No, you don't have to change something if you don't want to.

- Now, with your newly revised list, you can roll skills for your various players.

- When you have a skill to roll, go ahead and click on the "skill" button for a particular player. Check the results. If you get...
... a regular roll: roll a d6 in #fumbbl ("bbd6") and pick the skill on your list for that position corresponding to that number. That's what you're stuck with.
... on a doubles roll: Roll a d6 in #fumbbl and you take the doubles skill on your list for that position corresponding to that number. Once again, that's what you're stuck with.
... on a 10, 11 or 12: you MUST take the stat upgrade. Yes, even if it means an AG2 mummy. Muahahahaha!

- example: let's say that player number 1 on this team got a skill. yay me. I check to see what he got (a 5) on fumbbl as usual, but instead of picking something, I pop into #fumbbl and type, "#1<return> bb d6". Let's say bowlbot comes back with a 3. Then I look at my team and see that #3 regular skill for thrower is kick. So, I must select kick as the skill for my thrower.

- Check your team and make sure you are under the cap. If you're over, you must sack a few players or staff to get back under. Note that this means a lot of turnover of players, making exceptionally bad or good skill rolls less influential and team management more important!

- Now look for your next opponent and check and see who your new partner is for the next round.

4. Skill Roll Questions

- Before playing your first game, make a list of 6 skills to take on regular rolls and 6 skills for double rolls for each position in your team - like this.

- If you don't have a big guy and don't ever plan on adding one, don't worry about making a list for one, naturally. If you want your beastmen and chaos warriors (or lineelves and witchelves) to roll from the same set of skills, you can just put it in once, if you want. Whatever's easiest for you.

- The doubles picks do not have to be traits or something from another category. As an example, you could put block in both regular and doubles lists, if you want to - essentially passing up on the double.

- You may not repeat the same skill in any single list, however.

- But what if I already have that skill from a previous skill roll? Well, roll again (in #fumbbl), naturally.

- But what about my Big Guy? He can only take 4 skills on a regular roll! Just label two of your numbers as "reroll" and I trust you can figure the rest out.

- What if I have a player who already has all the skills on the appropriate list? Congratulations. You get to pick whatever skill you can. Yay for you. Note that the team cap should make this relatively unlikely.

- Example: I won my game and my opponent just changed my doubles roll for my Saurus list from Block(Stand Firm) to Sure Hands(Nerves of Steel). Now I get to go. Can I change it right back now that I get to change something? NO! This is what we big boys like to call "No tag-backs!"

{ edit: updated... should be pretty much up to date, now. This is lengthy, but most of it is just to clarify things. The actual core rules are relatively simple, I'm just trying to be thorough. }

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %30, %2005 - %20:%Jun; edited 3 times in total
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

YES! Wheeee! This is going to kick ass! My team, Pot of Melting People, is ready for this one!

Z
dagda331

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sooo there with _I Palindrome I_
Smile
celas

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome aboard dagda311. We can fight for the best kitty avatar now.

Excellent work on the write up BMM. One question though, should we make a rule that you cannot make a change on the skill list immediately after it was changed by someone else? Otherwise a losing team could change a skill list on a winning team and the winning team could just change it back immediately (I call no tag-backs!). It would be more evil that way to make them wait a week ;p

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Eww... eww... eww... I bet that Kroxigor wanted Leap on doubles!

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, here's the code I used to make the table in that team's bio. Hopefully it will help people out with the formatting

Code:

<div style="display: inline; float: left; background-color: #000000; color: #ffffff; text-align: left; padding: 5px;"><br />1<br />2<br />3<br />4<br />5<br />6</div><div style="display: inline; float: left; background-color: #cccccc; color: #330000; text-align: left; padding: 5px;"><b>Lineorc</b>
block (guard)
tackle (mighty blow)
kick (sidestep)
pass block (dodge)
strip ball (hail mary pass)
pro (diving tackle)</div>

<br style="clear: both;" />

The idea is that, using style sheets, you can keep the content easy to edit while formatting it for layout. Just swap in your own position name (instead of lineorc) and your own list of six skills.

The trick is that FUMBBL team bios add a <br /> tag in place of each carriage return. This means that you can't format your code, because it will have a bunch of extra line breaks in there and mess things up. As such, you still wind up with a big, ugly chunk of code but at least the content is easily accessible.

If you want to put multiple blocks next to eachother, just copy from the <div...> to the </div> and paste it right next to the last block. Put the "<br style="clear:both;" /> after each row. You end up with this:

Code:
<div style="display: inline; float: left; background-color: #000000; color: #ffffff; text-align: left; padding: 5px;"><br />1<br />2<br />3<br />4<br />5<br />6</div><div style="display: inline; float: left; background-color: #cccccc; color: #330000; text-align: left; padding: 5px;"><b>***POSITION 1***</b>
Your
Six
Skills
Go
Here
One per line</div><div style="display: inline; float: left; background-color: #000000; color: #ffffff; text-align: left; padding: 5px;"><br />1<br />2<br />3<br />4<br />5<br />6</div><div style="display: inline; float: left; background-color: #cccccc; color: #330000; text-align: left; padding: 5px;"><b>***POSITION 2***</b>
Your
Six
Skills
Go
Here
One per line</div><br style="clear: both;" />

Note that the very first block (<div ....blah blah blah .... POSITION 1***< /b>) is all one line. No carriage returns, or the website will add those extra line breaks. The same goes for the start of the next position (One per line</div><div ... POSITION 2***< /b>).

The idea is to keep the six skills as easy as possible to find and change - since they'll potentially get altered after each match!

You can change the colors, too (#ffffff, #330000, etc...). It's easier to copy the whole thing into a text editor and do a find and replace.

Alternatively, you can just type them in as a list. Much simpler. For a team like chaos or flings (where you only have two positions), that works great and is a gazillion times easier. It's just for teams like orcs - with six positions - that the bio just gets long enough to be annoying, IMO.

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %29, %2005 - %20:%Jun; edited 2 times in total
dagda331

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I must say, I kind of like the "no tag backs" rule - all sorts of opportunities for comedy Smile
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking the same thing, I just didn't get it in the rules. Note that they're all subject to change. This is just a quick summary of the stuff we all discussed in chat. Also these rules will get written up in a slightly more legible format... I just wanted to get them up for discussion.

Skill picks section above had been altered to include the "tag-backs clause".

Also added an important distinction that when you change a skill, you get to change both the regular and doubles results for that specific number - so you're actually changing one regular and one doubles pick each game. It is now advantageous to put your particularly "good" skill rolls into different results, so those who are concerned might want to go back and reorder their lists somewhat. I'm personally not going to bother, because I think it will be funny to see it get mangled anyway.
Smile

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %30, %2005 - %01:%Jun; edited 2 times in total
screech

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

First, thanks for all the good work there BMM. And a super special thanks for the the table code, I was trying to figure that out for like about forever.
Now I can finish my norse..
Um here are a few bits that I think need working out in order to avoid unpleasantries.
Does the skill rolls come before or after we choose to change skills, oh wait you said it already, hmm might be a lil spiteful.
On the otherhand it might be fun giving diving catch to every opponent I play.
Also with an average of 2 games a night do we rewrite our team bios each game, or do we take announce it on the channel?
Team cap 155?
Maybe some more while I think some more.

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't see it in the rules, but it does seem to be implied in the posts..but can you change the 6 skill picks between games?

Btw, great idea. . I love it!

150 for the cap seems about right

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

GorTeX:
Yeah, the group page is pretty much empty until we get some things ironed out here, first. When in doubt, believe what you read in this thread rather than the group page, until it gets finalized.

Originally, I was thinking that we'd have our lists of skills and we could change them in between rounds, so long as it wasn't interfering with the actual rolling. IE: You couldn't roll a skill for your blitzer with guard and then change your blitzer list so that it includes guard instead of tackle when rolling for the next blitzer, for example. That would just be shady.

However, a little later in the evening, someone (Grue, maybe? I forget who) came up with the idea of tampering with each other's skill lists... and that sounded even more fun.

As such, you can not change your own skill lists whenever you want. After each match, you get the option of changing one or your own skill picks OR one of your opponent's, however, as noted above in the third post.

I'm imagining having a monthly reset (a big KO tourney and then everyone can set up their skill lists from scratch and the league points all go back to zero in preparation for the next month), but you cannot change your own list once it starts. That would negate the backstabbing part that sounds like so much fun. Smile

Screech:
Skill list changes come before skill rolls, so you can screw up your opponent while it's still fresh in your mind.

As far as updating the skill lists, I'm going to - initially, at least - just let people do whatever is easiest for them. So long as it gets recorded in their team bio eventually and they get the random skill that they should, then I'll be happy.

Technically you are correct, however. The format does mean that everyone _should_ have to update their team bio twice a night. At least it's just one or two words that you're changing and no one is going to be pissed if you roll, get a 4 and say, "Well, my chart says tackle for my blitzer, but thanks to that weasel GorTeX changing my list after the last game, I now have a ST 3, AG 3, Break Tackle blitzer. Thanks a million, pal!"

(My apologies for using you as an example, GorTeX. No weasels were harmed in the making of this post.)

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Updates: The big list o' rules has been updated, formatted and copied to the group page. Also, the instructions for the skill list formatting (5 posts up) have been altered slightly.

I will, once we get things finalized and set in stone, go back and make a much shorter version for the group page because it annoys me enormously to have to scroll down forever to get to the teams and tourneys. For now, we have a static copy.

Any more questions? Any more thoughts on the salary cap? Anyone want to attempt a backstory to tie things together?

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If changing an opponents skill, can we repeat skills on the list?
For ex: changing a lineman's block/guard, to kick/kick, even though he already has kick as another regular skill roll option?
Now that player position has 2 chances to get kick on a regular skill roll (not including the doubles chance).
Likewise, once the tournament starts can you start changing your own rolls, ie give oneself more blocks as a regular option?
Or maybe some combo in between?

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

screech wrote:
If changing an opponents skill, can we repeat skills on the list?

Nope. Nobody can have the same skill on any list multiple times. In other words, you have to find another useless skill for that lineman. It could be something like shadowing on his Orc Lino or diving catch on his Line Elf, but every list must remain "legal" by having six distinct, legal choices (except for big guys, who only have 4 possible regular skills).

Jump to: