29 coaches online • Server time: 10:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you want to be implemented first?
Handicap Table (partial)
47%
 47%  [ 51 ]
Pass Block
29%
 29%  [ 32 ]
Diving Catch
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
Multiple Block
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 107

Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 03:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Just thought I'd set up a poll regarding this. What would you rather see implemented in the client first?
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 07:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooo. Tough one. I went with diving catch.

I don't feel the real urgency for the Handicap table, with so many teams to play against, so I ruled that one out.

I have never really seen Multiple Block used effectively, so I ruled that one out.

Pass Block was a close second. Unfortunately, I think so many rosters will be devestated by the late implementation of Pass Block, that I am fine with letting other aspects of the game come into play first.
Sigellius

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Pass block. Then multiple block. Then the handicap table (though I would still say that bonus MVPs is a better solution, or possibly a different sort of handicap). Then diving catch (yes, you all known how I love dwarves and their astounding passing plays, but let's be serious now... Smile ).
jacobs40k

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I chose diving catch, although pass block would be my second choice by a hair.

I have had more instances where diving catch would have helped me than the other 2 skills.

I think that there are plenty of teams to choose from so a handicap table, such as is in the LRB, is not really necessary. This is a free challenge league so one can play who they want. I would not object, however, to a "simple" implementation of a bonus MVP/money combo for playing higher ranked teams.
Torr

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I don't feel the real urgency for the Handicap table, with so many teams to play against, so I ruled that one out.

While it may be true that there are plenty of teams for low TR teams to play, the same is not true for coaches that have higher TR teams. It is us that are in need of a handicap table so that coaches of less experienced teams will play us.

The extra skills are just fluff if you cannot use them playing your favorite teams. If you do not believe, just wait, your teams will eventually get high enough and then you can suffer too as teams 30 or more TR lower then you laugh when you challenge them.

Obviously, I voted for a partial handicap table.
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Dungeonbowl! Too bad its not on the list Sad So, I went with Diving Catch.

Blood

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Handicap Table:
The current handicap table has proven to be perfectly ineffective at taming teams with a TR of over 200-250.

Rather than wasting lots of time implementing the existing handicap table, or devising a new one, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to allow each coach 5 teams in the Open Div? It would be rare that two coaches would not have 2 similar TR teams then.

Pass Block:
Very useful anti-elf skill. I voted for this one Smile

Diving Catch:
Also useful...can't say I'd use it much myself, though

Multiple Block:
I would love MB for the stunty league. I can't wait to see my mino eating 4 snotlings simultaneously....
Perox

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2003 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Pass block of course. The only way to get those brilliant interceptions, and amazed opponents. B-)
thetian

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2003 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the drawbacks of Javabowl is that it is not a true playtest environment. We can have whatever teams we want in the X div, but without the handicap table, we're just playing with part of the rules. So, the 100's of games played with them only represent how these experimental teams do a league that has a house rule that is signifigantly different than the norm. The 3 missing skills are not 'core' elements of how Bloodbowl plays. You can play most games without ever seeing them used. The handicap system is used in a signifigant number of games in tabletop leagues.
It would be great to have the rulebook handicap system (as much as we hate it) implimented. Perhaps then, the 100's of games palyed with experimental teams would encourage GW to view Javabowl leagues like this as a playtest environments, not just a lot of games played with house rules.
ecsjhart

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2003 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

With the exception of the few high power teams (as Torr meantions), the Handicap Table is fairly redundant in this type of league (especially if it's incomplete).

Multiple block. I agree with ASperonThorn on this one.... hands up everyone who's seen it used effectively. No, I said hands up... oh. No-one then. Razz

Diving catch. Well i play wood elves. Has anyone actually seen wood elves miss throw the ball? It's either accurate or a fumbbl... pointless if you ask me Cool

So it's gotta be the one that lets my shit hot catchers run in and intercept the opponents passes all the time.

It was a tough choice, but there we go Smile

Colin: Sorry, should have been a bit clearer on this one. I am voting for the item that _I_ would like implemented (ie the one best for my team) Laughing
Of course other items might be better for other teams....

Btw. Never did like the HMP / DC combo. Always seems like a last resort tactic to me. Better off going with more sure fire tactics. *shrug*

Last edited by ecsjhart on %b %17, %2003 - %18:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2003 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm agreed with those saying the Handicap table is absolutely pointless. In the last Cup competition before the new system came online, some big-mis-matches did occur (not always going the way of the 'better' teams!), and the handicap table, as far as possible, was implemented. It made bugger all difference. The pain of programming the table outways the contribution it makes to the game. I also think it may well be revised in the future, which would mean SkiJunkie could be wasting his time on such a feature. The remaining skills will have a far bigger influence, especially Pass Block, which is what I voted for.
For the time being, some kind of 'reward' for playing 'up' might do instead, such as the old 3rd ed rule of extra MVPs or some-such. This would have to be a house-rule, though. Apart from the skills, the client is fine as it is.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2003 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

One other thing:

Quote:

Diving catch. Well i play wood elves. Has anyone actually seen wood elves miss throw the ball? It's either accurate or a fumbbl... pointless if you ask me

This is quite correct. Elves generally either pass accurately or fumble, such is the nature of passing with AG4+. Diving Catch is more useful to AG3 teams throwing long-ish passes, and especially in combination with a Thrower armed (sic) with Hail Mary Pass. Elves need neither DC or HMP.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2003 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I went for Pass Block. Not entirely sure why, but hey! Very Happy
Korhil

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2003 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

PASS BLOCK

That the skill that has the biggest impact on the game.
Playing High TR Elves vs High TR Elves at the moment is kinda silly, games go 5-4 because theres no way to force a turnover.

Why anyone wants Diving Catch before Pass Block is beyond me... why would you want to encourage MORE passing plays when its impossible to shut them down effectively?!

Multi Block gets so little use anyway that its trivial.

The Handicap table is less important than having the 'ingame' aspects all working perfectly.

Reguarding Diving Catch and Wood Elves (or just Elves in General)... its a waste of a skill, Elves either Throw Accurately, or they Fumble, theres a very small window where they can ever throw Inaccurately. And with AG5 there is no window of being inaccurate.
Diving Catch is only really if use to AG3 Teams that have a Thrower... like Humans, Amazons, Norse, Skaven.

---Korhil
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2003 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say that I think the handicap table is the most important part. Teh skills are not very commonly used skills. Like someone said, many gaems could go without the use of these skills. I totally agree with the problem of playing games with big TR differences. The handicap table would help that. Antoher thing to consider is the usage of the client outside of FUMBBL. I am sure people use the client for running their onw leagues and would like to see the handicap table from the LRB implemented.
 Jump to: