67 coaches online • Server time: 20:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2005 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one who HATES when a BG loses his tacklezone?
Tentacles Minotaurs are the best. They don't have to blitz cause they can block, they don't lose TZones...

Well, that's my choice.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2005 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

and they get hurt as easily as a human lino when they fall... No thanks. I don't use Big Guys for anything other than encouraging my opponent to not come up the middle, they might take 6 actions a game.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2005 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
Some go for the dependability, some go for the glamour, I go for the indestructable line clogger...

Trolls are awesome, who cares if they never get many skills, rarely block, and sometimes get left behind on the play. They are the best at what they do, tieing up your opponents BG or a few line players. So the other guy may get off 10 blitzes a game with his mino, he probably T/O on a 1 or two of them as well

Trolls forever

i gotta agree with that to some extend, only think imo is that the BG does not need to tie up anything 4 CW with st4 and an ogre does just fine.
Zyad

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2005 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Am I the only one who HATES when a BG loses his tacklezone?
Tentacles Minotaurs are the best. They don't have to blitz cause they can block, they don't lose TZones...

Well, that's my choice.

Yeah, but they still aren't any good until they get tentacles, which now is at least on the second double, since you need block first. And even then, once they go down, with only av8, they have the same chance of dying as some elves.
And even if they don't lose their tacklezone, they still have to roll a 4+ to move, so once you get away from one of them, they have to blitz to catch up, and blitzing with a BG is never a good idea. Personally, i use big guys to get in the middle of a pile and use guard to help out my other blocks. Due to the unreliability, i rarely hit with them, and never blitz unless its my only option.

The only advantage ogres have on trolls is agility and movement, which a big guy rarely needs anyway. Really stupid is not much worse than bone head, since the troll shouldnt be isolated very often. And with regenerate, the troll is good to put on the LoS, and not have to waste your apothecary.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The only advantage ogres have on trolls is agility and movement, which a big guy rarely needs anyway. Really stupid is not much worse than bone head, since the troll shouldnt be isolated very often.

Really stupid is a lot worse than bonehead. In a long drive your troll will most likely get stranded more than once. Ogres have thick skull so they stay on pitch more than the trolls, thats quite a big advantage there. Considering that they have av9 and rarely gets knocked over because of their strength I don't think regenerate is much better than thick skull.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Except Thick Skull fails a ridiculous amount of the time in fumbbl I've found Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:

Really stupid is a lot worse than bonehead. In a long drive your troll will most likely get stranded more than once. Ogres have thick skull so they stay on pitch more than the trolls, thats quite a big advantage there. Considering that they have av9 and rarely gets knocked over because of their strength I don't think regenerate is much better than thick skull.

If they both Fail only on a 1, how is it worse? As long as you always have something next to it, the troll is fine. Granted, you cant put him out in the open and blitz with him, but you would never want to anyway.

Thick Skull only prevents a KO, where regen prevents a casualty... i think its obvious which one is better there?
thesquig

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

A troll represents everything that a big guy should be about. Even an average player can control really stupid, making it no more of a negatrate than bonehead. The poor movement and really stupid on a troll makes you resist the urge to blitz with it. Blitzing with big guys is bad in my opinion. Anything that isnt %100 reliable to move isnt reliable to blitz with.

Troll all the way, alot more cost effective than other big guys and they dish out pain just as well. They can regenerate and tie up several players at a time. Alot of the time I find myself not actually blocking with a troll, using it more like a moving traffic bollard to put in front of whoever I feel.

MiBasse

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Thick Skull only prevents a KO, where regen prevents a casualty... i think its obvious which one is better there?

Not really - regen does not enable you to keep the player on the field which can often be a HUGE difference. Besides - in tabletop you roll regen AFTER the apoth, which makes it even less valuable as the apoth will more often than not be used on the troll anyway if he suffers anything serious.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
Not really - regen does not enable you to keep the player on the field which can often be a HUGE difference. Besides - in tabletop you roll regen AFTER the apoth, which makes it even less valuable as the apoth will more often than not be used on the troll anyway if he suffers anything serious.

yeah, but Regen allows you to save the Troll for later. you don't want to use your apoth on a big guy anyway, that's why the Troll is so great: it can regenerate, and if it doesn't, you don't care that much because it's the cheapest BG.

as for those who say "trolls/ogres lose their TZ, WAs don't" well, sure that's an advantage for the WAs, but my Trolls hardly move once they're in position: stick them to a couple of players, and watch your BG become a huge pain for your opponent. you don't need to block with it, nor move it again for a couple of turns.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

No matter how good you are really stupid is a lot worse if you play against a descent coach. Very often you can push the troll out so he get's all alone and then the opponent has one player less the next turn. Ogres are way better than trolls.
xen7ric

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogre is the best on a Chaos team.

You can't afford to waste your Blitz on a Mino (although I love mino's in theory) and since any fast/agile team will just dodge away and stand players in the way of the important blitz then Mino's will Roar far too often. Tenticles are great but a BG HAS TO get Block at some point and 2 doubles is a lucky player.

I personally love to play against anyone who fields Trolls because I know it's a player who will never threaten my ball carrier when I'm attacking.

That leaves the Ogre. Tough (AV + Thick Skull which is always undervalued), fast enough to be used tactically and reliable without either wasting a player or your best action every turn you use him.

No contest really.
stormmaster1

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

A troll only has 2 things over an ogre. Price and regenerate. Regenerate isn't a significant advantage so overall i'd go ogre. It can do the job of a troll, but the troll can't do the job of an ogre.
jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

i think Ogre just for reliability...

but i still dream of one day owning that Break tackle Minotaur!

a 6658 blitzing machine!! \m/

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2005 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I can leave an ogre alone hindering up to 3 players and he has 1 MA more. I also will use him sometimes in my cage for a round and make him follow the cage after. I can't with a troll. So I prefer ogres but both 3 can be interesting and both 3 have pros and cons. It's a matter of opinion.