44 coaches online • Server time: 11:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigMac

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2005 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Nonsense.

It's not even allowed to tell that and what star you are going to hire, and rightfully so. The rules specifically forbid agreeing on tactics before the match. Secret Weapons are supposed to be secret you see?

I'm gonna ask ski junkie to implement the hiring of freebooters into the clients prematch sequence, next to weather and handicap and cointoss.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2005 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac, the client is BloodBowl.

BloodBowl has rules.

Rules say you hire stars at the same time of your opponent. So, if you hire a Star, I WILL be able to hire one too. If you don't like this, play "SneakyBowl" and be happy. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2005 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

@BigMac
What are you talking about? Are you just trolling?

Quote:
It's not even allowed to tell that and what star you are going to hire, and rightfully so.

Which rules do you read?

And while i´m asking questions i´d still like to know your reasons not to tell your opponent about hiring a star?

M
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2005 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:
@BigMac
What are you talking about? Are you just trolling?

right on ^^

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Not allowed to tell that your hiring a star? I hope its your command of english thats the problem there and not you innate disfunction in reading the fumbbl rules. Not a clue you have, not so much as a clue.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=help&op=rules

"Starting Matches

Do not discuss or agree on in-game strategy before the game is started. This includes agreeing on not fouling or any other type of in-game events.

A game is considered to have started at the moment the clients connect. At this point you are committed to the game and must play it out. Note that this includes scenarios where your opponent purchased new players after the mutual agreement to play. This rule does not apply if any of the participants connects with a team other than the one the game was agreed on."

Don't start a game where there is a chance you won't be able to finish unless your opponent knowing about it. Unless you state otherwise, you are expected to be able to play for 90 minutes.

You can not upload results for games played with teams from different divisions.

There is only one issue with Stars and that is if you surprise your opponent with a star and he would like to hire one as well because of your star. Thats possible on the table.
Poney

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding the issue of fouling on turn 16, would it still be considered bad sprotsmanship if, as I believe is the case, CAS caused by fouls are counted when checking for fan factor increases?
On the one hand, the foul is not so meaningless anymore, but on the other, you are sort of abusing a bug in the client.

Now I have yet to verify that the foul-caused CAS really has an impact on fumbbl games. I did however verify that it will give you the bonus in stand alone games and will be reflected in the match results screen at the end of the game. Since I believe that the results from that screen will be the ones uploaded at the end of the game, I think that this does impact fumbbl games.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

@bigmac
what's wrong with you ? how come you can think that agreeing on in-game strategy is the same as saying "i will by this star"...? the example of fouling is given. it has nothing to do with INFORMING your opponent on what your roster will be. it's not like you're saying "i won't buy nobbla if you don't buy borak"...

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh* Thats a blatant twist on the rules and you know it, BigMac. The general practice is to let people know if you intend to buy a star, and thank God you are the exception rather than the norm. You can say all you like but you are in the severe minority and again i'm grateful for that.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

Rules say you hire stars at the same time of your opponent. So, if you hire a Star, I WILL be able to hire one too.

Jan,

Whether or not he tells you he's hiring a star doesn't impede on your ability to hire. So that argument doesn't hold validity. In fact, telling you he's hiring someone gives you an advantage over him. You can determine what you are bringing based on his already commited choice, but he didn't have that luxury when he made his decision. Ideally, freebooting should be anonymous (to best mimic the "at the same time" part of the rule).

Hammerhiem,

whether anonymous freebooting of stars in lfg situations is "bad sportsmanship" is debatable. But whether it's cheating, isn't. It's not cheating. Cheating is not tolerated on fumbbl. Someone cheats, you are suppose to file a support ticket. The cheater will be dealt with appropriately.

good luck getting an admin to block Mac's account for "cheating" by hiring a star without telling you.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

If the client allows you to do it and it isn't specifically forbidden otherwise, game on. Worrying about what is and isn't good sportsmanship and fighting over where to draw the fine grey lines is ridiculous and will drive you nuts. Don't take the game too seriously and do what makes the game fun for you.
BigMac

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You so don't get it.

With a Treasury of 100.000 i could get Griff, Zug, Zara, Morg, or Luthor.
And i'm so not telling you. Its the verry first tactical decision of the game and i am so not telling you.

Making your decision to accept a game dependend on if and what star shows up is abusive and should get you your team retired.

There is only one one one ONE scenario where there is a problem and that is if you have money yourself and WOULD use it to counter an opposing star IF your opponent hired. Thats in the boardgame but it isnt in fumbbl as of now.

Freebooting is part of the MATCH and not part of the cherrypicking meta game. LRB page 42 says:

1. Pre-Match Sequence
1. Hire Freebooters, Wizards & Star Players
2. Roll on Weather table
3. Work out the Gate
4. Work out Handicap
5. Roll on Handicap table
6. Roll for Niggling Injuries

so that is for fumbbl:

0 - Teams agreed to play.

So what we need is a feature INSIDE JBB (after joining the game the host has set up) that allows you to hire stars at multiple points so you can take the initiative in hiring or react to your opponent. (ask A, Ask B. If A=Yes and B = no, ask B again. If B = YES and A =NO, ask A again.)

Rulewise, buying players after agreeing to the match is debateable.
Hiring freebooters explicitly is NOT.

And all of this comes from people who appologize for killing players... could you guys be anymore disrespectfull? Giving your opponent tips about your strategy, trying not to hurt his players, appologize for good moves. What's next congratulate him on scoring? Disgusting!
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh come on, let's not stat a friggin' flame war. Some people think differently than other people. Why don't we just let it be like that. Unless the rules state otherwise, you can hire stars without letting your opponent know, even if it's considered unethical/unsporty.

Bignugget, you do what you like, and the others, you do how you see fit. Live and let live.

otherwise this thread is gonna blow up like the dozen "is fouling part of the game" threads we have seen over the years.

Why can't you just play the game instead of arguing about it?

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
What's next congratulate him on scoring? Disgusting!

Not only will I congratulate him on scoring, I will congratulate him in killing my players too - allthough not as loud as I will be celebrating me killing one of his players Wink
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice call, MrMojo. Don´t think we´ll reach mutual agreement in this case.

So BigMac, we´ll just agree to disagree.

M