23 coaches online • Server time: 01:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sigellius

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not always desirable to intercept the ball - perhaps the only guys that can have already moved, and you prefer to have the ball on another guy that you can persaude to give it to you better...

But anyhow, an option to not intercept would be nice, since one doesn't HAVE to, in the rules - and it would be nice to be able to see the portraits/skills of the people that can make the attempt before deciding (so can't have a "yes/no" in the "do you want to intercept" dialogue, since that steals focus and one can't mouseover people).
Dan

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Why would you ever want to not intercept? It's causes a T/over and you get the ball.......

<perhaps the only guys that can have already moved, and you prefer to have the ball on another guy that you can persaude to give it to you better... >

How can a player who has moved ever intercept? It's not an action done on your turn.....
slackman

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

erm, i believe there IS an option not to intercept. i think you hit <ctrl>+<enter> or something like that... it says something about it in the msg window when it gives you the option to choose your intercepting player.

slackman
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep. If you don't want to intercept after looking at the eligible receivers then just hit <ctrl>+<enter> and it will skip your interception attempt.
Sigellius

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

ah, ta

Dan, *I* would never want to not intercept. But the cocky dark elf ponces I was playing decided to try and hit my dump-off guy, and I was chucking over people that had moved, you see - hence he didn't want to use those guys to intercept.

Of course, it mattered not a whit, since the incompetent that by some miracle had the ball, decided to fumble the "give ball" roll. And then be pushed, I think - ah well.
Oxinotl

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

That cocky Dark elf would be me. Twisted Evil
What happened in the game was that i blocked his ball carrier near his own end zone. i had 2 players assisting the block. When he dumped off, the only 2 that could intercept was players that had allready moved. i had 2 other players (one agi5 w dodge) in range that most probably would have scored if just the ball had been on the ground. instead one of the assisting players who had allready moved caught it and that was the end of my scoring chance for that turn.
Also, after Sigellius had decided to dump off, i could no longer see the stats on his dwarf runner or any other player. He had 2 and one of them had block.
Dont really remember the turn after that, but since i won 4-0 it didnt really matter. Wink
I think it would be better to have a pop up or something asking if i want to intercept (only w dump offs, not the regular passes) instead of having a command like ctrl+enter that you have to learn by asking around.
slackman

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

honestly, i think it would be MUCH more annoying to have to click a pop up on every attempt, as opposed to reading your msg window. it clearly states what to do if you dont want to try and pick it off.

slackman
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 19:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You can click on the turn marker as well. And there are instructions for this in the message window when an interception situation occurs.

-- Christer
Oxinotl

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2003 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Oops, my bad i guess. Just didnt see it but thats because ive only encountered dump off players this one time.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2003 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's one 'Why I Wouldn't Want To Intercept':

the only guy that can intercept and prevent a score is my gutter runner, Str 2, AV 6, with two blitzers on either side of him. Skaven tend to have a rat ogre, who has WA, and if the Rat Ogre's also surrounded, or does't have block yet, then the liklihood of being able to actually make use of the possession is not so good. In addition, chances are pretty good that the gRunner is gonna be turned into jelly.

My favorite team being skaven, i'm sensitive to these sorts of things Smile

Sure, the liklihood of intercepting the ball is low, but why risk it? It's better for skaven to play a 6-5 game than a 2-1 game...
Torr

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2003 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Oxi is really not talking about intercepting completely. It is involved around a dump off. Also maybe a clearer question is can you avoid a guy recovering a fumble or move through the square with the ball without picking it up.

Sometimes I will have 3 or more guys surrounding a guy I am blitzing. I hit them they fall prone and drop the ball, then the ball falls in a square with one of my guys that has already moved and he picks it up.

I am now stuck with a guy holding the ball and nothing I can do about it. Even though I may have an AGI 5 surehands gutterrunner in scoring position right next to the guy that just grabbed the ball.

So can I somehow make a guy not grab the ball after a block/blitz? Can I move through the square that the ball is in w/o trying to pick it up?

-Torr
AlphaX

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2003 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

<ctrl>+<enter> is the answer to not intercepting.

my two cents; I'm playing a team which passes a lot.

First the pass block phase will pass without an option for my pass blockers to move into position. Why? because they are 4 or 5 steps away. Now,
according to "Going For It" (pg 19); "Whan a player takes any action apart aside from block, ..." According to pass block (pg 35) "..., the move is made using all the normal rules, ..." {which, I understand to mean that a player with pro can use the pro to reroll interception /or/ dodge when lacking such skill.}

I am very interested to know if there is an "official ruling" which states explicitly that only one player may pass block. (I have two pass blockers in my league team and I am going to play a match on monday vs DE...)

-

The other problem with having to pick someone to intercept is you are given this choice even if no one is in position to intercept. maybe this has to do with pass block - as I don't recall seeing this for a team without passblock.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2003 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm. Good point. I just read passblock and I don't see anything about being limited to only one player doing it. Does anyone else know of a place in the rules where it says you can only move one pass blocker?

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: