13 coaches online • Server time: 06:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

So ... help me out here.

There's also the Windows XP firewall... instructions for that would be super helpful too.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... I have no idea Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I say, Tar-Soaked hemp rope coiled, that will burn for a long time. Or tires... tires would work... Tires around steel poles if you want the wall secure as well as on fire....

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need that bit. All you need is program control, saying which programs are and which are not allowed to access the internet.

That bit is for blocking certain IPs from doing anything or allowing everything, it's for advanced users for a reason, because the ones that need it will have specific things in mind. Smile

Oh, and Windows Firewall - disable it, you shuold never have two firewalls running at the same time. Windows Firewall is no good anyway.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The Mezir has spoken. You figure I'd know something, being employed as a internet technical support agent, but I don't. So there!

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
The Mezir has spoken. You figure I'd know something, being employed as a internet technical support agent, but I don't. So there!

As long as you get paid, no harm done.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

you would think i knew something about BB being an experienced player, but I dont! Laughing

sorry for spamming, but i have no clue about firewalls either Sad
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The fun part is, since Mez gave the good answer, spamming won't annoy!!!!!

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, i'd propose u get the sygate personal firewall, its freeware (but can be upgraded later) and its extremely simple. it asks u if u will allow the various programs u are using to connect to the net, and which port. then, u can 'remember this setting' or not. once u have the 5-10 basic programs u use added to the allow list, its done and no work needs to be done later...

unless u are using a LAN as well, which needs to be done manually (which is again simple, when u open the window it tells u the name of the program/lan info, and has it marked with a big yellow question mark)...

i tried norton's package which included a firewall, and my god! what a load of $%^&*!!! never use that!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Mezir

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
i tried norton's package which included a firewall, and my god! what a load of $%^&*!!! never use that!

Plus the whole thing will reduce any PC to a snail's pace, it eats that much RAM and processor time.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My Norton Internet Security (Symantec) works wonders, and my PC is not at all slow because of it.

I guess it's all about personal taste.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

No, Jan, it's not...... It's all about Mezir being right Wink (the more a support him, the less nonsense threads get locked!)

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

whole automated "packages" which give you little or none at all control over what they do, block, etc, are always to be avoided if you have the knowledge (or time).

Jan, i believe your computer is ok with NIS, but it would be quicker and all if you used other tools. now, whether the time needed to tweak them would justify the gain in performance, THAT is definitely personal taste =) but some people on old comps who want to play recent games try to win on every little bit, and such protection packages are one hell of a big bit =D

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, I run on a P4 1.5 with a Radeon 9600 Pro and I have a hard time running stuff like the F.E.A.R. demo (only 512 RAM doesn't help either), thank god I'll be getting myself a new PC come next month (and I'ma gonna overclock me that baby, yeah).

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd,

If you ever get BB working over that D-link router, please post that you did. I have that same router (I think) and couldn't get it working at all. I tried until I had exhausted all the posibilities I could think of or look up and I still failed. This is the first computer issue that has ever stumped me (besides fixing a broken laptop screen, but that belongs in another level of difficulty).

If anyone else knows something specific about this router, please let me know.

Thanks,
Amstar34

Last edited by amstar34 on Sep 24, 2005 - 20:18; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: