38 coaches online • Server time: 18:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Tell me about it. I have poeple whining to me all the time.
Customer: Why is my internet slow?
Macavity: Many factors can contribute to that. Your modem is reading clear, are you using any firewalls or a router?
Customer: I have Norton and Zone Alarm, and am running through a Linksys router. Why?

My life....

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Four firewalls, fun... Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup.... Almost as good as the kids calling in because the counter-strike server is slow.

Kid: Why is it slow?
Macavity: Because thousands of people are using it.
Kid: Can you fix it?
Macavity: Tell all your friends to stop playing. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

disable the firewall =)
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

OldBugman wrote:
disable the firewall =)

don't do that, because then you'll be starting threads about mIRC being "virus city" and all.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

For my router, I just needed to open port 8080, and redirect that port to my PC - after that, no probs hosting. I don't know that the port redirection can be done on that page...
If you want to allow spectators, do the same for ports 8085-80xx (xx depends on how many spectators you want to allow).

It looks like you already allow any outgoing connections, so that should be fine when you're not hosting, and also fine for proxy games.

For the windows firewall - what Mez said.

Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
If you want to allow spectators, do the same for ports 8085-80xx (xx depends on how many spectators you want to allow).

afaik, all the specs connect to the same port (which is hosting port + 5, so when you host on 8080, it is 8085).

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, it's port forwarding you need to setup - I generally open ports 8080, 8081, 8085 and 8086, or just the range 8080-8086.

If your gateway allows outgoing connections, it's a good idea to have a software firewall too. Sygate (on single user PCs only, it isn't good on multi-profile setups), Zone Alarm and Kerio are the best (free firewalls) I've found. Set them to 'learning mode' so you can tell them which apps are allowed.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

sure open the port forwarding on 8080 and 8085 if you want to host direct connect games and allow specs but if you are just going to use the proxy servers then there's no need to even do that.
As for your D-link Shep if you have to fiddle with the config to allow you out onto the internet then it is a POS and you should introduce it to a lump hammer (sledge is even better if you have one). Only thing you need to do beofre the introduction is get yourself a Netgear DG834 adsl firewall router or the DG834G if you want wireless. (there is also a cable version but i'm not sure on the modle number sorry but for UK users it's your own fault for being on crappy NTL anyway)
they are a piece of cake to setup as a basic router and the port forwarding is simple too should you desire it.

Superstar

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

i cant use the picture, i been clicking for hours now
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

G_Force -- of course you want to host direct connect games! Smile

calon

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I seem to be having the same problem 2 pc's running through a lynksys befroe installed the router one pc had fumbbl chat running fine no probs so installed java and mirc on new pc hooked them up through the router turned the firewall feature on the router off. old pc everything still works new pc cannot connect to mirc chat or through java chat any advice... as old pc is my step fathers and they really want to wipe my profile off their pc.

PS can access internet fin through new pc and i have never had a prob getting mirc or java to open before.
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread was almost very useful to me. The question remaining is: HOW do I open ports?
I have DI-604 router and run ZonAlarm Free on Windows XP Pro

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
wiry

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

well, you don't need to open ports in zonealarm. the specific router is another question.

remember zonelabs love to block IRC so you need to enable it manualy
 Jump to: